- - - - -

Jump Jet Skill Nodes And Jump Jet Mech Builds?

23 replies to this topic

#21 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 January 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

You guys are arguing with someone that thinks his stats make him right no matter what the topic, it could be about something like which is the better shoe, left or right (despite both being from the same pair)... and his stats would make him right in whichever one he says, because stats.

Better than talking about things that are flatly incorrect. Or claiming that you "tank" your stats on purpose, which I think we all know is a load of rubbish now.

Or the really good one - using videos from 2014 against low skill players as justification of your low skill based advice which is just flat our poor advice.

New players should be getter top level advice. Not incorrect posts filled with nothing more than word soup. I will always call out bad advice with the aim to help those wanting to improve to actually get advice that will lead to improvement.

And taking JJ tree to avoid a strike, that's just bad advice. If you play smart and avoid the strikes that makes the point instantly redundant.

#22 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

View PostPurplePuke, on 26 December 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

Not quite true.

The JJ nodes aren't about more height, they're about more time in the air.

I use them (not the vectoring nodes) on a Huntsman with ATMs, and I can get two volleys of 2xATM12's off in one jump.

Lots of fun.

I agree.

View PostTesunie, on 26 December 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Wait... wait...

Because you have a small chance the shell may land directly on you, a very small chance... that means you can never ever ever jump over a strike's smoke to try and avoid (and have the good potential to do so) the damage from the incoming strike? You can avoid the splash damage from a nearby strike, which is where a lot of a strikes damage comes from.

This is like saying a strike will shoot your head component out. It (at one point) had the capability to do so, but it was very rare to happen. Just because it CAN doesn't mean it WILL.

As mentioned above, if you time your jump well, you CAN avoid the splash damage from the shells or at least mitigate the damage (because you are farther from it), so thus you CAN jump to avoid strikes. You can't say you can't just because there is a chance the shell may still land directly on top of you.

What you are saying is that jump sniping is completely ineffective because your opponent CAN still hit you with their entire alpha... even though it is likely that they wont...
Or that twisting to try and spread incoming enemy fire is pointless because they CAN still hit a single hitbox and kill you.
Or that taking ammo is a death trap because it CAN explode when it is critted... and ignore the fact it's only 10% of the time it is critted it will explode.

A chance does not mean it ends up being an absolute. I would rather take the chance at mitigating, reducing or even avoiding damage from a strike, rather than just sit there and let it hit me. Much like if someone is going to shoot me, I'd like to try and not have it hit a damaged component by twisting a fresh side to face them rather than stare them down so they can pick which component to hit.

So, once again, we end up with the fact that you CAN avoid strikes by jumping, but because you CAN doesn't mean it will always work.

I agree.

View PostKoniving, on 06 January 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

You guys are arguing with someone that thinks his stats make him right no matter what the topic, it could be about something like which is the better shoe, left or right (despite both being from the same pair)... and his stats would make him right in whichever one he says, because stats.

(Side note MWO doesn't actually have splash damage for the very same reason missiles don't have splash. Instead, there's a scripted range around each impact for the "splash". If you're standing in it, you get said damage randomly applied. The space that gets damage allocated is 12 or 13 meters tall and 2.5 meters in radius (5 in diameter). If you're outside of the box [regardless of whether by being above, beside, or below], damage cannot be applied to you.)

I agree.

#23 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:06 PM

Not sure why this thread was reactivated, but in the off chance a new player sees this. I am not going to get mixed up point to counter point arguments. One player said it best, it depends on what you want to use JJs for and what mech you are using. For new players ill lay it out for you.

-Some players only put on two jump jets on battlemechs, so they can quickly get over obstacles on the ground. In this case any points in the jump jet tree would be a waste.

-Some players use jump jets to pop tart. This is a term meaning jumping up in the air and then shooting, and falling back down behind cover. Speed of lift off may be useful to you in the jump jet tree.

-Some players use jump jets to reposition themselves quickly in combat, however this is a tricky skill. Against solid pilots, if you are too high off the ground, they will destroy your legs out from under you. In this situation there is a couple jump jet skills that can be useful, however getting used to using the right thrust for repostioning takes time. Use too much and your legs will be getting destroyed allot.

Other notes of importance for new players on the subject of jump jets. Assaults take allot of thrust to get into the air. The second point is some mechs have the jump jets built into them. On these mechs they rely on a few heavy weapons, or many small weapons. You really have to balance out the armor, ammo load, and weapon payload down to the last 1/2 ton to make it work. With battlemechs you have options to take the jump jets out or put more into the mech. You can also change armor, and structure to increase available tonnage. You also can change the engine. My point is be careful what mech you go after JJs Hope this helps.

#24 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Wasnt there a thread somewhere like this already? Might have been the steam forums, anywho - JJ tree is hard to get because most builds are absolutely starved for points, so unless your making a troll/VTOL viper/JJcicada then anything more than maybe the heat reduction nodes in the JJ tree are going to be impractical to pick up.

Most people these days (thanks to all the poptarts getting JJs nerfed into the dirt) only use enough jump jets to get over hills or to their favorite sniping spot - or the ever obnoxious bunny hopper hoping to screw up the games HSR. I mean dont get me wrong jumping from building to building on solaris never stops being fun (well until you glitch and have several points of armor shaved from your legs) and jumping onto the top of HPG central is pretty entertaining but for the most part this is a general skip tree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users