Tag Redux?

4 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:45 PM

i never really like the way this game implemented the tag laser. as a simple lock accelerator its kind of useless on anything but a streak boat (which itself is kind of meh). its also very boring. for a spotter its a damn fine way to give away your position. i suppose lermers have a use for it but i dont know anything about that (id rather stick a laser in there that can hurt something).

it would be really fun id you could use it as a laser designator, to steer various missiles while in flight in lieu of a lock. dead fire missiles like mrms and rocket launchers exempt, as well as narcs. but everything else could be guided to some degree. even srms which technically do have guidance systems.

srms would allow for some slow tracking, though missiles would still try to maintain their spacing. artemis srms would fly in a tighter formation and would have slightly faster tracking (though not as good as locking weapons). for streaks it would still be a lock accelerator but would also allow sub targeting of mech components by buffing the probability that missiles will home in on whatever section you have your tag on. rngesus is still in play but you can select what you want them to hit.

other locking missiles (not streaks) can be slaved to the tag in lieu of a missile lock. this would allow you to loose an unlocked salvo of lerms or atms and get them on target during flight while you wait for a lock. it would also allow you to use missiles as an area denial weapon against any location the laser is pointed at. lerms with artemis would get tracking buffs like the srms.

theres also effects for non-missile weapons. for example if you use it with ballistics or ppcs it might compute the lead solution for the target its aimed at, really making those ranged deflection shots easier.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 December 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:32 PM

As long as Streaks still require a lock to fire...

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

We've been asking for non vis tag since it's intro.
Good luck with that.

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 December 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

As long as Streaks still require a lock to fire...

they would. a lock would be required for sub targeting. edited post for clarity.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 December 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#5 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 28 December 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

We've been asking for non vis tag since it's intro.
Good luck with that.

i think i left that out. oops.

i like living legends tag rules. its invisible unless you have your night vision on, and it is shown on the pilots hud. of course in living legends you get an audible beep if you are being tagged. so you have an option to spot the spotter.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 December 2018 - 06:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users