18 replies to this topic

#1 dozerbot

• PipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Hi all,

I love MWO and am an experienced player, have a decent win ratio on Solaris (1.5 or thereabouts). However I can't seem to deal with King Crabs in Solaris... I'm not sure why? The armour? The hitboxes? What makes these things so damn tough and does anyone have suggestions on how to beat that armour?

ps. I prefer slow heavy mechs so running around in a light mech to counter is not an option for my playstyle...

Thanks all!

#2 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:03 AM

Checkout bushwhacker huggernaut on you tube.

Edited by Pain G0D, 12 January 2019 - 03:03 AM.

#3 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

Onion IICA will solve your problem.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostOz 209, on 11 January 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Hi all,
I love MWO and am an experienced player, have a decent win ratio on Solaris (1.5 or thereabouts). However I can't seem to deal with King Crabs in Solaris... I'm not sure why? The armour? The hitboxes? What makes these things so damn tough and does anyone have suggestions on how to beat that armour?
The problem is that you're trying to beat their armor rather than kill them.
Option one, focus your damage on their CT.
Option two, take out their legs - which are the only location that doesn't have armor quirks. Once you've taken out a leg, move behind the KGC and start pounding at their weak rear armor. Additionally, since people tend to store ammo in their legs, your fire may set it off and obliterate the entire mech in the process.

#5 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 January 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Additionally, since people tend to store ammo in their legs, your fire may set it off and obliterate the entire mech in the process.

I don't get that one. You cannot case protect legs . Why does ammo in arms not obliterate the mech ?
Is storing ammo in head or ct section is a safer option ?

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:20 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 12 January 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

Why does ammo in arms not obliterate the mech ?
It it can, but barely anyone puts ammo there. When engaging at mid-to-long range in QP, legs are the safer location. When engaging as a brawler brawling or playing in Solaris, all bets are off.

Is storing ammo in head or ct section is a safer option ?
Head, yes. CT, not really - you don't know whether your opponent will be going legs or CT. You will want to optimize your ammo supply so that you don't have too much left over at the end of the match.

#7 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

Krabble has a lot of armor, a lot of good and safe DPS & Brawl builds, and is spread across 3 divisions, so you'll see it a lot.

#8 dozerbot

• PipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:10 AM

These are awesome responses. Thanks everyone!

Yondu can you expand on the Orion? I run a pretty strong Atlas, what's the advantage of the Orion?

Thanks again,

OZ

#9 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

KGCs have a somewhat large CT - its easier for me to directly core them with big alphas than trying to remove a side torso.

For those 6AC2 cancers, you can focus fire on one of their arms which is somewhat large at close range. I find the MCII quite decent vs crabs with its height and large arms and relatively better mobility - if you can survive getting into the Crabby's face with both torsos intact, you will easily win the core fest - the MCII arms seem to spread a lot of damage at point black - maybe cause the KGC arms are spread a bit wide or something.

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

I've only seen a MKIIB once in Solaris. I took both of its arms off before one of my arms was red armor. It isn't a good mech to bring to that fight, IMO.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 January 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

I've only seen a MKIIB once in Solaris. I took both of its arms off before one of my arms was red armor. It isn't a good mech to bring to that fight, IMO.

Agreed, but it also depends on the pilots. I've torn apart a MKIIB with my ANHs several times - one salty dude tried to run and force a draw, got him in the end tho - and I've recently killed an ANH using a MKIIB on my Clan-only alt account.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

They probably got ammo in the legs and no case

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:18 AM

You can't put CASE in legs.

Edited by Horseman, 28 January 2019 - 04:27 AM.

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:29 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 January 2019 - 04:18 AM, said:

You can't put CASE in legs.

Thats why I said no case
BAITED
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 28 January 2019 - 04:30 AM.

#15 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

View PostOz 209, on 11 January 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Hi all,

ps. I prefer slow heavy mechs so running around in a light mech to counter is not an option for my playstyle...

Thanks all!

They have more CT armor than an Annihilator but have a larger hitbox which makes the anni slightly more viable in the big vs big fight. The King Crab is better at dealing with an artic wolf however so is the trade off. Anni to win big vs big slightly and KGC to help deal with all else and be ok at big vs big. Tbh the only king crab that beat my anni was racroing in my opinion from the visual and sound.

#16 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostLurm God, on 29 January 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

They have more CT armor than an Annihilator but have a larger hitbox which makes the anni slightly more viable in the big vs big fight. The King Crab is better at dealing with an artic wolf however so is the trade off. Anni to win big vs big slightly and KGC to help deal with all else and be ok at big vs big. Tbh the only king crab that beat my anni was racroing in my opinion from the visual and sound.

Sorry but I didn't racro, but it was quite odd that you somehow managed to sustain fire with a quad rac2 double ac2 quad medium laser anni. Double standards or what?

#17 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

lol

#18 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 30 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Sorry but I didn't racro, but it was quite odd that you somehow managed to sustain fire with a quad rac2 double ac2 quad medium laser anni. Double standards or what?

Fair call

#19 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

View PostHorseman, on 12 January 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Option two, take out their legs - which are the only location that doesn't have armor quirks. Once you've taken out a leg, move behind the KGC and start pounding at their weak rear armor. Additionally, since people tend to store ammo in their legs, your fire may set it off and obliterate the entire mech in the process.

Legging a king crab is a risky and somewhat daft proposition. More often than not they are Dakka supreme mechs so going for the legs won't yeild much transfer damage to the ST as the ammo gets chewed through quickly in S7. Not only that KG's are nearly always STD engines or even Light engines so focusing side torso's only buy's you time.

That being said one of the biggest problem with king crabs in Solaris is you should ALWAYS use the pre-match 'preview' of your opponent to scan them for what weapons they have and in which side their firepower is focused. If you don't think you can chew through their CTR in good time concentrate on that torso. King crabs though have a lot of their firepower literally hidden in the claws so judging them is hard. As a result your often best concentrating hard on their centre torso.

They can also surprise you by boating a lot of missiles. I know one of my king crabs boats MRM's, large lasers and heavy machine guns and often enough those missiles and lasers have taken the armour off the opponent fast enough that the machineguns have an easy job. And those high mounts means you can fire from cover early on (like on boreal reach) and many don't know what to do with a missile boat KC. (As already said take that left side off fast)

Also don't forget they have a heavy mechs movement Archetype so trying to out manoeuvre one is a very foolish proposition as one on one only a light (or very fast medium with JJ's) has a chance of doing this and in S7 you cant be dropping in any worthwhile lights in D1.

Edited by mad kat, 01 February 2019 - 12:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users