Curious Thing Noticed.

22 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

its rather curious that all the so called good groups follow each other around in faction and never dare to cross one another. I say this bec this happens all the time and especially with current event going on. several times today i saw on inner sphere side maybe 10 people waiting on a drop vs 160 to 200 on clan side. isnt it rather curious that it was all the major groups on clan side, almost like they are afraid to confront each other? I know i am not the best player but i am doing better and am practicing in live combat with other weapons so no one can say iam a one trick pony, but if i am not afraid to face the big groups, even though 95% of time i am up against premade teams of people who dont miss much, why then are the big groups like this?

#2 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 January 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

its rather curious that all the so called good groups follow each other around in faction and never dare to cross one another. I say this bec this happens all the time and especially with current event going on. several times today i saw on inner sphere side maybe 10 people waiting on a drop vs 160 to 200 on clan side. isnt it rather curious that it was all the major groups on clan side, almost like they are afraid to confront each other? I know i am not the best player but i am doing better and am practicing in live combat with other weapons so no one can say iam a one trick pony, but if i am not afraid to face the big groups, even though 95% of time i am up against premade teams of people who dont miss much, why then are the big groups like this?

Move to dogpiling thread.

#3 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

The counts are broken, FYI.

There are only maybe one or two groups of people who won't group with randoms, but several groups who won't group with each other.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:13 AM

Not Mercstar. We are often the only big group on one side while the other groups dogpile each other. We only switch when we cannot get drops, or when our monthly tour is done.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 January 2019 - 12:15 AM.

#5 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:21 AM

Counter still broken. Also when you're not in a big group, and there are big groups dropping, you are more likely to see them when they're on the opposing side, hence you may get the impression all groups are on the opposing side, because you can't see the 12 mans on your side since you won't be in their drops.

Good groups frequently specifically look to sync against each other on opposite sides of the conflict, and will switch sides to make those drops happen, though it doesnt always work. There are some units though that will do the opposite and actively avoid fighting strong groups

#6 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

yes, the counter is still broken;

still, you hear words like "lets wait for group X to drop before we que up" from time to time, especially in "thrown together" groups.
most often from the same people who'd rather "protect the gens" from as far behind the gens as the dropzone, or won't even go past the gate when attacking.

both signs that I'd rather drop out of that group sooner than later.

#7 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

It's because confirmation bias is the worst and playing solo in Faction Play is basically toggling your game from Hard to Brutal difficulty a lot of the time. When you're getting beat on as a solo and notice groups on the other side, you're always going to believe that "all the good groups are on the other side." Don't worry, as soon as you go to the other side, you'll find the grass isn't all that greener. The time you're playing at may have an impact on your experience, though.

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

The unit I was active in would drop against IS or Clan. We just wanted to get into a match not spend more time waiting for group or unit x to show up.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

several times today i saw on inner sphere side maybe 10 people waiting on a drop vs 160 to 200 on clan side.

Do you even realised the counter is broken?

I mean there have been 3-4 posts on in now in the Faction Play section and in this section.

Known bug... So what you are claiming here is nothing more than make believe like the things you claim good players use in-game.

#10 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 January 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Do you even realised the counter is broken?

I mean there have been 3-4 posts on in now in the Faction Play section and in this section.

Known bug... So what you are claiming here is nothing more than make believe like the things you claim good players use in-game.

Teamwork OP, nerf teamwork.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

teamwork isnt OP. stacking teams so one team has all good players and the other team has all crappy players is whats OP.

and the counter is obviously broken because 200 people dont even play this game...

#12 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

its rather curious that all the so called good groups follow each other around in faction and never dare to cross one another. I say this bec this happens all the time and especially with current event going on.

Well the counter is broken, but the problem remains that MWO rewards players for going out of their way to farm weak players instead of trying to face any strong ones.

So that's what the high stat players do : They join the strongest possible 12-man group, and use it to farm the weakest group of solo players they can find, to artificially boost their stats with a high win rate and corresponding high kill rate.

Yes there are exceptions to this rule (more like one exception), and there's a reason they're called an exception.

#13 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 15 January 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Well the counter is broken, but the problem remains that MWO rewards players for going out of their way to farm weak players instead of trying to face any strong ones.

So that's what the high stat players do : They join the strongest possible 12-man group, and use it to farm the weakest group of solo players they can find, to artificially boost their stats with a high win rate and corresponding high kill rate.

Yes there are exceptions to this rule (more like one exception), and there's a reason they're called an exception.

does anyone even ever look at FP stats? I've literally never been in a group where anyone said "ok guys, lets find ourselves the weakest group of pugs to farm", that just doesn't happen. Now there are some units that will certainly avoid fights with strong groups, but they are all low-mid level teams that are afraid to have their 12 same tag group beaten by 6 strong players who aren't even in the same unit, so they look at streams, try to play games with friends list, etc. All the best groups that actually play FP have no issue playing each other, and will more often than not intentionally try to get games against each other

View PostKhobai, on 15 January 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

teamwork isnt OP. stacking teams so one team has all good players and the other team has all crappy players is whats OP.

and the counter is obviously broken because 200 people dont even play this game...

dude, like 99% of your posts are exactly the same. Just put "I hate social people who group up but don't want to play with me, pls PGI force people to carry me" in your signature, so that we can just get that out of the way and you can actually post something other than that

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 January 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

dude, like 99% of your posts are exactly the same. Just put "I hate social people who group up but don't want to play with me, pls PGI force people to carry me" in your signature, so that we can just get that out of the way and you can actually post something other than that

Obviously you havent actually read any of my posts.

Because I dont have a problem at all with social people who group up.

I have a problem with the game not equalizing the two teams. The lack of an actual functioning matchmaker is the problem. Not people wanting to play together.

If you read any of my posts you might have grasped that.

Edited by Khobai, 15 January 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 January 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

You just had to poke the hornets nest, didn't you?

lol.

I await the fanciful claims in the following 20 posts from that.

#16 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 January 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Obviously you havent actually read any of my posts.

Because I dont have a problem at all with social people who group up.

I have a problem with the game not equalizing the two teams. The lack of an actual functioning matchmaker is the problem. Not people wanting to play together.

If you read any of my posts you might have grasped that.

yes, we get it, you want the game to split up groups and force good players to carry you, you've made that opinion clear during the 20,000 posts you've made about it. Post 20,001 is not going to get PGI to do what you're asking

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 14 January 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

Move to dogpiling thread.

dogpiling is where you have 4 teams one one side and 3 pugs on the other. you have enough players to drop 2 games but instead you get all those players sitting in queue waiting and not playing. its a completely different thing to pop up for air and get surrounded by 12 guys with seal clubs. you need to get games before you can be bad at them.

ive not actually had much problem finding games lately. so having a counter there (even a borked one) seems to be helping the situation a little. its also nice that i dont have to wait 20 minutes to figure out how dead it is.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 January 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#18 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:08 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 January 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

yes, we get it, you want the game to split up groups and force good players to carry you, you've made that opinion clear during the 20,000 posts you've made about it. Post 20,001 is not going to get PGI to do what you're asking

I dont want the game to split up groups if it doesnt have to.

But please explain to me how you balance the teams if one team is stacked with good players and there arnt enough good players available in the queue to balance the two teams?

Literally the only way to balance teams in that situation is to break up the good players from the one team and divide them up. There is no other way to do it.

And I dont need good players to carry me lmao. I just need the game to not stack way more good players on the other team than my team. Because nobody is good enough to carry their team in that situation, its physically impossible. Team stacking creates no-win situations and splitting up teams as a last resort is the only way to prevent that. But again it would only be as a last resort to balance the teams.

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 January 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

you want the game to split up groups and force good players to carry you

then why did I implicitly state it should only be done as a last resort?

if I wanted good players to carry me then I wouldnt have said it should only be a last resort. My stance would be that the game should ALWAYS break up groups. Which clearly isnt the case. Again you have not fully comprehended what Ive said.

the matchmaker should first try to create two balanced teams from existing groups/players in the queue. And only if its unable to do so should it break up existing teams to try and balance the two teams.

Now of course YOU dont want that... because you benefit from the abuses of team stacking. Whereas I just want a matchmaker that actually works and balances teams and has the means to prevent team stacking.

I have yet to hear you come up with a better solution for balancing teams in a low population environment.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2019 - 03:23 AM.

#19 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

So, if there are good players readily available to carry you, you dont need to split the group of good players? Cool, good to know, will we need some sort of TS/discord blocker? Because the good players on the other side might have better coordination and still win?

I think PGI needs to hire teams of analysts, every player should have an analyst sitting next to them looking over their shoulder. They will analyze the persons individual skill and current state based on 947 different factors, then rate the mech they intend to play based on 1597 factors, assign a battle rating to the player/mech and then we can form the teams for one 5 minute game that will still end 12-2. My idea is about as realistic and likely to be implemented as yours.

Yes. I get together with my buddies on TS and all we talk about is how we can abuse team stacking today.

#20 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

Hazel I never thought ya'll would admit that.
But in all honestly I don't see how PGI can really prevent rollstomps.
Especially if it's mostly unorganized group of players.
Not long ago we 48-0 a pug group and it was not fun.
Boreal defense.
And last week we got the business 3 times in a row on a Boreal attacks.
Verses some of you guys.
Thank you for that PGI.
For the time being I guess it is what it is.
And PGI is seemingly unable to fix it.
I have a solution for this, but hey why bother.

Edited by Novakaine, 16 January 2019 - 08:55 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users