• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

View PostMr Andersson, on 22 January 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

How to explain?

Imagine you want to evaluate the dominant strategies in [insert favorite team sport here]. Would you then look at games being played by the entire population, from 8 year olds to 80 year olds, and from every level of skill? Or would you just look at the professional leagues?

The OP did not state he was seeking to evaluate dominant strategies. In fact he stated he was seeking to evaluate the most popular 'Mech choices in MWO and what their match scores were, which last I checked, included more than "pro" players. Even *if* OP *was* trying to evaluate "dominant strategies" you would still be wrong to exclude all but the highest level of play, since from the developer's perspective they are balancing the game for ALL potential customers, not just the ones who are T1 and don't read gud ;)

Edited by RickySpanish, 22 January 2019 - 12:43 PM.

#42 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 22 January 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Then you can ignore those 'mechs and look at what was brought that was not associated with the events and consider those.

Even though a significant presence of Founders or Phoenix games actually does give us some information about the game that we could really only assume prior this point: There's still a significant number of people who have been playing this game a VERY long time.

Sure you could remove the (F) and (P) mechs from the data but then you have to ask, "What mechs would those people be playing if there was no event."

Don't get me wrong, there is still some interesting data there but you have to take it with a bit of a grain of salt and understand that the data set is corrupted by the presences of the events.

#43 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

As for which ones are popular during an event, that's why 100 matches is too small of a sample size. You'd need a month or several months of telemetry which only PGI has. We can try the same on a smaller scale, but our data will never be as complete. I do wish they would post some of this stuff though. That'd be kinda cool, but then it would influence players' choices as well.

#44 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 22 January 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Sure you could remove the (F) and (P) mechs from the data but then you have to ask, "What mechs would those people be playing if there was no event."

Don't get me wrong, there is still some interesting data there but you have to take it with a bit of a grain of salt and understand that the data set is corrupted by the presences of the events.

I agree methodology could be better and invite any who are interested to (what's the word I'm looking for?) replicate with improvements? my results so a comparison of data can be done. As I said, the more data points the better.

Either way, I already used some of the C-bills from these 100 matches to buy a Dragon and an Assassin based on the results and my own personal goals. Dragon because it's average match score surprised me and assassin because it fulfills the same role as Shadow Cat but had a higher average match score. Am pleased with the Dragon so far, think I prefer my shadow Cat to the Assassin, maybe that will change when I get it skilled up.

#45 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostAndres Gomez, on 22 January 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

Yeah I found it amusing that the most popular mech had the lowest average match score and the least popular had the highest. I don't have a spreadsheet graph program but if someone wants to reformat this info into something easier on the eyes, feel free Posted Image Or better yet, attempt to reproduce the results with better methodology etc. More data points the merrier. I just ask that you use a mech other than the Shadow Cat as I'd enjoy seeing some unbiased data on that chassis.

my spreadsheets are just my personal stats. helps me choose mechs for viable drop decks and if i need something specific for an event. like the 500 score objective i needed the mech with the maximum damage output per match and that was my ultraviolet. i just sorted by damage/game and picked the highest one. i ran it once and got my numbers. its better to take your most effective mech than the standard meta. because if you cant get good numbers on a meta mech, then it isnt all that meta is it? its just how i improve my own game.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 January 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#46 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 21 January 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

The most culturally insensitive and prejudicial post I have EVER seen, if Canadians were a race, I'd call it racist.
How dare you sir.
HOW.DARE.YOU!!!

You didn't deny its accuracy though.

#47 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

View PostAthom83, on 22 January 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

You didn't deny its accuracy though.

Being offended is a choice and usually has little to do with truth Posted Image

edit- protip don't believe much of anything you read on CNN or NBC...

Edited by Andres Gomez, 22 January 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#48 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

Everything I say is accurate, so while you should not believe CNN or Faux News, you should believe me. Ya hosers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users