26 replies to this topic

#21 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

I'd rather pay valve over steam then pgi directly from any hack job of a steam like thing they try and think up. Even gog is good and I've got a decent collection on gog close to fifty.

#22 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

No official word on an EPIC version but the game will be available directly through the PGI Portal, GoG, possibly Humble Bundle and of course a Steam key will be provided in most cases.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the sale cost is only applicable if you make the actual purchase through Steam. So if you want to make sure PGI gets the most money, pre-order it (the sale doesn't go through steam), buy it through GoG/Humble/PGI Portal when those pre-orders come online or buy the game after it comes out on those platforms. If there's an EPIC release then that will also at least give PGI a bit more than buying it through Steam.

#23 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 21 January 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

I'd rather pay valve over steam then pgi directly from any hack job of a steam like thing they try and think up. Even gog is good and I've got a decent collection on gog close to fifty.

Game design issues aside, I think MWO worked just fine for years without Steam.

The only thing Steam added is automatic patching, which is cool but not crucial to my experience.

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 22 January 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#24 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 22 January 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

Game design issues aside, I think MWO worked just fine for years without Steam.

The only thing Steam added is automatic patching, which is cool but not crucial to my experience.

I've used h mwo with and without steam. I find mwo runs well enough without steam. Just a preference to have one less thing running while trying to improve my games. With a lot of companies trying to make their own streaming service I'd rather not end up with a ton of launchers. My main ones are steam and gog but I've also got orgin and ubisoft for my silent hunter series. I really don't want things to go the way of having a streaming launch/service for every game I want to play.

If I could go back to real physical media that would be great but that time is long gone.

#25 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 21 January 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

Steam is awesome. Stop hating.

Yeah love steam to the point I won't buy games off any other source.

Also though I don't think alot of people know it, many of the games you can buy off steam can be played offline and I even think there is away of backing up your library to your harddrive or maybe even to DVDs so that if Steam were to suddenly disappear you could still have access to the games you bought. Also I think there is a much greater chance of PGI going out of business than steam closing so there is that.

#26 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 22 January 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Yeah love steam to the point I won't buy games off any other source.

Also though I don't think alot of people know it, many of the games you can buy off steam can be played offline and I even think there is away of backing up your library to your harddrive or maybe even to DVDs so that if Steam were to suddenly disappear you could still have access to the games you bought. Also I think there is a much greater chance of PGI going out of business than steam closing so there is that.

Steam was great until Valve decided it would open the floodgates without any real moderation or curation. And I'd mucn prefer if Steam had some competition, just to keep Valve honest. I'm not comfortable with PC gaming being controlled by a single storefront.

#27 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

Well I guess its a good thing there is more than one digital game content distribution solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users