#1 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:51 AM

Good day, everyone!

I'm voicing my annoyance with the import/export/save/load in the mechlab. I recently received my platinum Cor-7a and was ready to load it up with one of my multiple Cor-7a builds as I OWN a 7a already. Press load..... nothing. Oh, that's right, this mech is (p). Nice. So I can't use all my builds? Dumb. It's the exact same mech (right?) with a cbill bonus. I think okay, well, I'll try the import / export! I export my 7a build to my clipboard, load up my 7a(p), import...... and I can't save as it's the wrong mech chassis. This feels VERY silly to me. I mean, it felt silly the first time I ran into this issue with clan omnimechs! But this? It's the exact same mech, with 3 extra characters in it's name and a cbill bonus. Really hoping this can get addressed (maybe not fixed, as maybe it's intended for some reason?) because I don't want to have to rebuild the multitude of different builds I have for my platinum mechs.

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:40 AM

The first 3 characters of the import/export code are the mech code.

The code for the 7A Corsair is: AA<
The code for the 7A(P) Corsair is: Ak>

All you have to do is appropriately edit the build code and you should be good to go. FYI, a similar issue came up when the Mauler 2P(S) came out.

#3 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:06 AM

View PostRad 1, on 27 November 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

It's the exact same mech (right?)

Platinum variants, just like Special variants and Champion variants (aka trial mechs, not the chassis Champion), are a completely different variant from the standard in the game's code.

Escef's method should be a good workaround.

#4 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:10 AM

View PostEscef, on 27 November 2022 - 08:40 AM, said:

The first 3 characters of the import/export code are the mech code.

The code for the 7A Corsair is: AA&lt;
The code for the 7A(P) Corsair is: Ak&gt;

All you have to do is appropriately edit the build code and you should be good to go. FYI, a similar issue came up when the Mauler 2P(S) came out.

This. This fixes it. While I would really like things to just WORK, now that I know the first three characters are the mech chassis code, I can transfer over my builds :) now I won’t avoid the platinum packs, as this would have dissuaded me in the future. Much appreciated!

#5 Rad 1

• Pip
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lance Corporal
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:14 AM

View PostMyriadDigits, on 27 November 2022 - 10:06 AM, said:

Platinum variants, just like Special variants and Champion variants (aka trial mechs, not the chassis Champion), are a completely different variant from the standard in the game's code.

Escef's method should be a good workaround.

While you’re correct they’re coded different, other than the base chassis being different, same quirks same hard points same armor distribution same engine limitations same scaling, yeah? So, I was saying they SHOULD transfer, and I was blown away they did not. I’m very satisfied I can transfer everything over, but I stand by my belief that they should be able to transfer over in game rather than with a work around.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:37 PM

View PostRad 1, on 27 November 2022 - 11:14 AM, said:

While you’re correct they’re coded different, other than the base chassis being different, same quirks same hard points same armor distribution same engine limitations same scaling, yeah? So, I was saying they SHOULD transfer, and I was blown away they did not. I’m very satisfied I can transfer everything over, but I stand by my belief that they should be able to transfer over in game rather than with a work around.

With all possible logic and common sense they should... But someone at PGI in his great wisdom decided to make things a little bit harder for everyone when they created this system.

#7 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:22 PM

View PostRad 1, on 27 November 2022 - 11:14 AM, said:

same quirks same hard points same armor distribution same engine limitations same scaling, yeah?

Except they don't have the same quirks. Special, Champion, Platinum, etc have a c-bill bonus quirk. Seems small and it is easy to overlook, but having that necessitates making it a separate variant. And while its easy to say "just make a system to apply it to the one mech and not the variant" that's without a doubt an "easier said than done" ask. There may also be further technical issues regarding the unique patterns Platinum mechs use that would further prevent the "simple" task of making it the same variant regardless of the quirks.

But if you really think its such an easy change, apply as a coder for PGI, we all know they're hiring and I'm sure your boundless expertise in this area could turn this game right around. :)

#8 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:24 PM

View PostRad 1, on 27 November 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

It's the exact same mech (right?) with a cbill bonus.

It is not.
It's a copy, then with a special property applied. It was a huge pain when working on them too, as you'd have to make sure you made any updates to both files.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users