I Think Mw5’S Lack Of Mech Customization Is A Real Mistake

84 replies to this topic

#81 Snakesh1t

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

The biggest thing that doesn't work for how they want to limit the mechlab: if you're a merc company starting out, and you take damage and lose some weapons, you may not have the ability to replace a large laser with another large laser....you might have to make do with a medium laser and some MG's to round things out....

#82 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

View PostSnakesh1t, on 03 May 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

The biggest thing that doesn't work for how they want to limit the mechlab: if you're a merc company starting out, and you take damage and lose some weapons, you may not have the ability to replace a large laser with another large laser....you might have to make do with a medium laser and some MG's to round things out....

Well - usually Mechs don't get destroyed beyond repair - so when your Large Laser is destroyed - you might repair it (although it might deteriorate over time. That was my main issue with PGIs attempt in RnR and MWO... you always payed the price for a complete new equipment part

#83 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Also true. Which reminds me of another point that I planned for but hadn't been thinking about lately. Repairability/health, etc. On one hand I don't really want to do a "health" system, but on another I don't know if Unreal truly understands the crit system to be able to tick off crit slots as damaged/destroyed. So I have to plan for both.

What I would like is if the crit slot takes a hit, for it to be marked as no longer able to be hit. That way the slot is "damaged" or if the slot took a hefty hit "destroyed", and then setup a secondary condition where if more than half of the weapon is damaged, it's "gone." (In the case of one slot weapons, if it's a lighter hit then its damaged and if it is a hefty hit then its gone; basically lower caliber autocannons, MGs, non-hefty lasers, etc.would damage a slot, but higher caliber autocannons, gauss slugs, hefty lasers, etc. will make slots "destroyed").

Will probably have to factor an HP system though...which will be frustrating. Suppose if I could do it as HP per slot rather than HP per unit it would work.

But far as I've heard in the AMAs provided you have the crew and time, you can "fix" your equipment unless its "truly gone, like just completely annihilated."
If HBS Battletech salvage is anything to go off of, if someone else used a large laser chances are you can just snag it rather than go out to have to buy a new one, provided you succeeded in your mission. If you fail or abandon it you get nothing (though it sounds like you can get partial payments too, just don't think you get salvage for retreating).

Edited by Koniving, 04 May 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#84 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

I'm expecting it to be the same as MW2:Mercs/MW4:Mercs with animation and will be pleasantly surprised if it's something new. Only because ye old hit box system needs a upgrade to be anything more subtle like "you need a new capacitor for your PPC" vs "you need a new PPC."

Health system 'could' work, getting parts to take your 50% PPC back up to 100% but I really hated how that turned out in FarCry 2 when you pistol could explode in your hands.

#85 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 04 May 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

I'm expecting it to be the same as MW2:Mercs/MW4:Mercs with animation and will be pleasantly surprised if it's something new. Only because ye old hit box system needs a upgrade to be anything more subtle like "you need a new capacitor for your PPC" vs "you need a new PPC."

Health system 'could' work, getting parts to take your 50% PPC back up to 100% but I really hated how that turned out in FarCry 2 when you pistol could explode in your hands.

I'm pretty certain the game won't be that specific. I could try with my mod, but other than random details given as the excuse (and even then unless it's already in the voice files, it'd be text and probably in a menu), I doubt I could get anything to be that specific. But in doing it, the hitboxes wouldn't need to get that specific. Damage on this run might be that the barrel got busted. Damage on another run might be the power coils have been shot. The time after that you might get told that your Flux Capacitor couldn't reach "1.21 Jigawatts" (gigawatts as pronounced by Doc Brown).

I have a hitbox rework in mind, but it is probably one of the last things that'll ever happen to my mod as I doubt it'd be easy to set up and even then I'd probably have to "inspire" someone else to do it for me. One of the ideas is to denote each section of the body to have "slots" dedicated to it, so you could literally aim for the cannon on the back of the Marauder II in order to concentrate your fire on and disable it specifically...and other such things. But even then it'd need a super restrictive mechlab to make it easy to do that (....which could be a potential reason for it being as restrictive as it is, who knows? But its doubtful).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users