Valve\steam Are At It Again....

29 replies to this topic

#1 Balnoric

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Locationin a chair

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

It is currently 9:40PM EST, I have 40 minutes remaining to complete downloading MWO in Steam on LINUX!

The valve devs have been hard at it building a compatibility layer for Windows games, (giving me less reason to ever reboot...)

I can't wait to report back if my favorite game works properly, and without all the extra hassle of Crossover (as noted 3.5-ish years ago... )

If it works, I'll report back on what I did and how well it works!

Stay tuned!

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

im gonna need to try that out. windows 10 is really starting to piss me off. i cant even use dhcp anymore for some reason.

#3 Krucilatoz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostBalnoric, on 31 January 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

It is currently 9:40PM EST, I have 40 minutes remaining to complete downloading MWO in Steam on LINUX!

The valve devs have been hard at it building a compatibility layer for Windows games, (giving me less reason to ever reboot...)

I can't wait to report back if my favorite game works properly, and without all the extra hassle of Crossover (as noted 3.5-ish years ago... )

Stay tuned!

Is mwo really work on linux? what distro (and version) that you use?
and more importantly, how much the performance gap compared to win-10?

I'm sorry if too much asking for that, but im really wanted to switch into Linux especially on my laptop

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

people have gotten it to work before, there was a tutorial on the forum somewhere but supposedly it broke and didnt work anymore. as mych as linux users like to thump on wine, it tends to only work in one out of five games, and zero of my non-game applications.

Edited by LordNothing, 31 January 2019 - 07:43 PM.

#5 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

Generally running windows based games on Linux involves running a Windows Emulator, which basically puts another layer to run the game through. It makes no sense to do this with MWO.

#6 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

I dunno, if the emulator is efficient enough, foregoing all the extra BS that the native Windows OS forces on you... It could be more efficient...

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

wine isnt so much an emulator as it is a translation layer. its all x86 machine code at its heart.

#8 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:43 AM

Any luck getting it working? I'm hoping to drop Windows 7 for Linux Mint once Microsoft drops support for the OS. Although the performance of Windows 10 on my old Asus Transformer tablet has improved a lot since its free download a few years ago.

#9 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:23 AM

I'm sticking to my Windows 7 for as long as it can carry me. Hell, I ran XP until 7 came out and then some more.

#10 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 31 January 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

im gonna need to try that out. windows 10 is really starting to piss me off. i cant even use dhcp anymore for some reason.

windows 10 is bad man it has alot of drm software that microsoft put in. Windows 8 is also bad but not as bad as 10 but still.....
Sadly theres no competition to keep microsoft in check..........

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

mostly on windows 10 because my mobo doesnt have drivers for other versions of windows. its rather frustrating.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

Strange... I only ever reboot windows 10 for updates. Can go months without reboot in between.

#13 skellr

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Stay tuned!

If things get ugly, and you want to give up, try Wine Staging before you throw in the towel. It usually does a bit better at the cost of long term stability as it changes so much.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostNightbird, on 01 February 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

Strange... I only ever reboot windows 10 for updates. Can go months without reboot in between.

i just turn my computer off when im not using it.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

@Nothing: I don't think that is really necessary given the sophistication of modern power management.

#16 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

Stay tuned!

I don't like steam because I have always considered that they are above all a DRM scheme and I don't install programs in MY HARDWARE so other can police me on principle.

But if Steam manages to get games working reliably in LINUX a I might actually revisit this policy because getting rid of windows androidification is great value on itself. The only reason I keep using WIN is gaming, and I don't really know what I will do when I am forced to abandon the last Windows PC-like OS: Win7.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:47 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 February 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

@Nothing: I don't think that is really necessary given the sophistication of modern power management.

i usually disable those features. a few milliamps is still more than zero.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 31 January 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Why did you ever abandon the trusty Win 7? Posted Image

#19 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 February 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

i usually disable those features. a few milliamps is still more than zero.

So do you unplug everything while you aren't using it as well?

#20 Apache1990

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 February 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

If I hibernate my computer, it wakes itself up randomly with no input, and doesn't go back to sleep.
(I miss when hibernate meant "shut down completely, but with save-state," so the computer wouldn't turn back on unless I hit the power button.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users