Public Test Session - Long Range Missile Updates Series 2.1

47 replies to this topic

#21 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

Alright, I finally got around to dealing with the PTS Patching, so here's the details you'll need...

PTS Client Version ---->>> 0,4,161,0
Patch File Size --------->>> ~5.3 MB
Download Link --------->>> 'http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/PublicTest/frontend/FrontendPatch_180.zip'

...and now to get down to investigating PTS v2.1 to see how it works. :huh:

~D. V. "I said I would get to this shortly, and I have. Here you go." Devnull

#22 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

So why does Clan missiles have a worse spread than IS again?

#23 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostGrus, on 12 February 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Clan missiles are 50% of size AND tonnage. you would still have an advantage if the spread was 200% over IS launchers (not considering streamfire), so its not as bad really :)

#24 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

I see a lot of complaints about LRM's and none of them are actually pointing out the problem... which is the players themselves.

An example: LRM Assaults who stay +600m behind everyone else just to get butt****** by a PIR 3 mins into the match.

#25 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostCypherdrene, on 12 February 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

I see a lot of complaints about LRM's and none of them are actually pointing out the problem... which is the players themselves.

An example: LRM Assaults who stay +600m behind everyone else just to get butt****** by a PIR 3 mins into the match.

that's the problem with the weapon platform that allows this.

lock on weapons do not belong in FPS games.

#26 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 12 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

eh... no. you can't block stupidity, and that's the problem right here. a lurmer with at least half a brain would stay around his teammates, just so they can back him up in case a light wants to eat him.
but yeah.. your paint might get scratched there a few times, so our noobernova & co stay 600+ behind. and get eaten by lights.
and probably start a "lights broken"-thread right after it happened AGAIN, instead of working on their issues.

#27 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:04 PM

so. finally got to install the lastest patch and tried.
not a SINGLE game to be had in euro-evenings. in fact, every queue said 0%, so I guess nobody else had a game, either.
tried for 30+ minutes btw. it is almost as if you (PGI) had an event going on on the mainservers...

if you were a cars-building-company, it would be like sayin' "here's our newest car folks, please test it" - and under the hand you're offering a bribe to anybody WHO DOES NOT.
-go figure from there- Posted Image

anyways:
few things I've seen in the testing grounds:
-direct fire looks okay.
-still unsure if it doesn't go into atm-territory too far.

-indirect is still TOO okay.
-especially the "new and improved heat" on clanside is laughable. my noobernova 80 can still fire 3 FULL alphas without getting warm, can tap into the 4th with little to no overheat. and it can still (almost) COOL DOWN doing full group/chainfire.

TL;DR - more heat pls. and more ghostheat on top, yet. I enjoy my occasional lurmboating with a few beers or so, but it is still WAY too rewarding for absolutely no "work".

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 12 February 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:16 AM

a little late but i actually made it in on day of test and i still cant get games. lol. im giving it 30 minutes and then im going back to quake 1.5.

if you payed 10 mc per game and extra for running specific tests people would flock to the pts.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 February 2019 - 12:19 AM.

#29 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:51 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 12 February 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Clan missiles are 50% of size AND tonnage. you would still have an advantage if the spread was 200% over IS launchers (not considering streamfire), so its not as bad really :)

Spread is a measure of the diameter of the impact circle.
Double the spread = 4x the area.
So no, they would be half of IS effectiveness.

#30 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

I had hoped to stay out of this, and I had hoped the devs had the good sense to do this correctly. Word has it your going to go live with current live server values for indirect, and keep increase damage for direct fire LRMS. The only result this will have is turn every match into LRM boats. I am already seeing polar allot more then I should, and this is probably because people are anticipating this change. I have strong objections for indirect fire damage being anything resembling effective.

These are some nerfs over the years
- Clan uacs loaded with ghost heat and limitations. Developer reason it wasnt fair for other pilots to constantly getting shook apart by clan uacs.
-Clan er medium lasers loaded with ghost heat and nerf. Developer reason they are too strong. Even though they require skill to aim and shoot on target.
- Clan omni mechs. Several of them have lower armor on certain torsos. My guess because you viewed the convergence too strong.
- Clan gauss and ppc loaded with ghost heat. Developer reason using a bunch of double talk, it boiled down to other players didnt like getting shot up at 800m away.
- Clan XL engine sabotaged on purpose. My guess because you felt we were too mobile.

My point how in the hell and all the logic in the universe can you say we are going to buff LRMS in direct fire, and leave indirect fire as effective choice as it is now on live, after you have done all the things I listed above in the name of balance. You put this live aint no one is going to see anything but missile boats. You kill quick play you kill the game. The whole point of this exercise was to limit drastically indirect fire LRMS/ATMS and instead your just going to make the whole system stronger.

#31 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 12 February 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

LRMS DO NOT NEED BUFFS! It needs FKIN NERFS! LRMs are a toxic element of the game, an extremely annoying hammer banging on your head over and over again that barely any cover actually hides you from!

This isn't even about LRM effectiveness but how fkin annoying the weapon is!
ANNOYING! BAD FOR GAMEPLAY! It is infuriating to get LURMed till death do you apart!
BANG! BANG!BANG! BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

PGI, stick to being nice to people, we don't have much of that in the professional gaming industry, but stay away from the gameplay part of the game development.

This is a game where giant robots are killing other giant robots... "nice" really has nothing to do with it, and psychological warfare is just as much a part of warfare as bullets and bombs. Hell, the entire lore behind the Atlas is centered around psychological warfare. Yes, LRMs are annoying. You know what else is annoying? Firing a volley of 40 LRMs and watching the entire volley disappear in a hail of AMS fire, or watching them fall harmlessly into a building (which should have been shredded by the weapons fire, but stands as unblemished as if you'd yelled at it), etc. I hate getting LRMed to death as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy being the one LRMing people to death, and I know how to use terrain and equipment to my advantage in either case.

DO I use terrain and equipment to my advantage? Rarely. But I know how, I swear. :)

Edited by C337Skymaster, 13 February 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#32 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 February 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

I did share that LRM cockpit blinding is what makes LRMs super annoying, but PGI just said that is the intended role/feature of LRMs.... so....nerf them all to hell I say! Posted Image

The same goes for Dakka. They already fixed flamers for exactly this issue, so I don't know why they can't fix LRMs and Dakka as well.

#33 Nomad One

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:21 AM

View PostLances107, on 13 February 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

-Snip-

Because, had you bothered to read the notes on these changes or tested them out yourself, you would realize that LRM damage is not being increased, rather spread is being reduced for directly fired LRMs so as to improve their chances against existing direct fire weapon options in shot trading scenarios.

Indirect fire is keeping its live server spread value because LRMs as a whole on the PTS got ghost heat penalties increased and base heat costs increased, meaning LRM damage over time will go down slightly if your mech cannot fit an adequate amount of heatsinks to compensate. LRM burst potential is also being reduced on the PTS to be more like other weapon systems; capable of last minute alpha strike efforts.

On top of this, the PTS has a new lock-on mechanic being tested where the further you are away from a target that is not within direct view, the longer it will take for the LRM boat to acquire a lock for said missiles to track the target. This means that you have more time to break line of sight on enemy elements spotting for those mean old nasty LRM boats to completely deny them the ability to fire without seeking you out. Only homing missile using 'mechs that can directly see you get a quicker lock-on time, to compensate for the fact that you can come out of cover, shoot and often be moving back into cover by the time the first missiles are about to hit you.

The point was never to "drastically limit" indirect fire, rather to slightly reduce the effectiveness of passive uses of the weapon system while also providing avenues to utilize the weapon system more proactively.

Edited by Nomad One, 14 February 2019 - 12:44 AM.

#34 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

Hello folks... I've had a chance to check things in the latest PTS iteration, but before I get to that, I see that I've got a lot to have to deal with first, and that I'll have to be as brief as possible right now. I sense this post is going to take me about 3 hours to type up anyway, but here I go...

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 February 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

If there's hardly mechanical changes, I don't see the point of trying it out. Spread and thereby damage efficiency to LRMs is easily tweaked anyways.

It's more at the zone of give or take the limits on the Baseline versus how much you can change it with Skill Tree Nodes, which ain't really that much. And there are changes in the Mechanics as to how they operate on the LRM PTS v2.1 versus how they operate on the Live Server. They include things such as Heat, Sensor Range affecting Lock Time, and then also Spread based on if you have LOS or not when launching, which frankly should factor in a Pilot's personal Target Decay status.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 February 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

I still stand by the Range-Dependent Lock-Speed to be integrated as DF Bonus than IDF penalty.

There is something to be said about keeping the Team all within a short-enough Range of each other to prevent someone being trapped out in the cold. The behavior on LRM PTS v2.1 looks to be the right behavior for what should be put into the Live Server. Too many hang back when they could be getting the protection they need, as well as being able to protect their Teammates, and we should be more able to cause reward to sticking with the Team with the changes present in this specific LRM PTS v2.1 release.

View PostGartenlaube, on 11 February 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

Wait, you put lrms back to normal for indirect fire and buff LOS fire? Most OP **** I have ever heard for a lock on weapon in a game. Welcome to LRMWARRIOR ONLINE!

Not even close to being OverPowered, in any way/shape/form, it just so happens. Also, the PTS version is already Nerfed in at least a few ways that are NOT Spread, such as Heat + Ghost Heat & 'Sensor Range'-Linked Locking Time, but the implementation on LRM PTS v2.1 avoids giving the middle finger to people who are Medically Disabled, allowing them to remain in the fight with the rest of us. Heck, fixes need to be made to not devalue a Pilot's personal Target Decay status on the battlefields. Plus, if you use things like TAG & NARC to Support them, you'll even find yourself racking in a bit more than you do now. The trick boils down to being willing to sacrifice a tiny few tons to the Support Equipment, instead of using them all on PPFLD Ballistic/Energy Weaponry that you normally bring. Forgetting things like AMS should absolutely NOT be rewarded, as it's a choice whether one brings AMS for defense or not.

View PostTheHurp, on 11 February 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

will there be a longer cooldown and more heat generated then?

Already present in LRM PTS v2.1, and all you need to do is compare that to the Live Server version of MWO in order to see the difference. Actually, this LRM PTS v2.1 allowed me to spot a bad Bug that's even present on Live Servers, which I'll have to point out later. Stay Tuned!!!

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 11 February 2019 - 11:38 PM, said:

He bites he's lower lip and thinks:

Occums razor suggests that if people dont come to test maybe test not that important compared to others things

Like maybe match maker

Sorry for derail, thoughts, drinks, etc, etc

I'll take the discussion on this one... You're probably right on the MatchMaker needing fixing anyway. In particular, it may be time to just do a Hard PSR Reset on everyone, and have them all come back up to wherever they belong. PGI could also rescale how PSR is earned and lost in the same go, as well. Right now, getting Sub-100 Match Score on a loss is definitely NOT penalizing a Pilot's Skill Rating as hard as it really should be. Heck, PGI could use making the Current 'Tier 1 through 5' into being 'Tier 6 through 10' in order to create room above, and then create a New 'Tier 1 through 5' beyond that, to which then everyone who should be able to break into the Higher Tiers will do so while everyone else will have to learn how to work their way up properly, as in working as a Team, and not a bunch of cats that don't function together. That will also allow them to fix the MatchMaker again to allow an up-to-2-Tier-Difference in creating a Match, but be able to have it work properly the next time around.

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 12 February 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

When they patched the IDF and LOS lrms by accident one patch, i absolutely hated the mechanic. it seems when i had LOS i still wanted to lob my missiles over terrain and couldn't was so annoying.A toggle would be best.

Agreed. The thought about an Angle Toggle is going into my future thoughts on LRM PTS v2.1 after I get this post finished off. Stay tuned in for my next posting.

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 12 February 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

IDF lrms should not be as effective as they are on live without narc or tag support.
Lock on time increase wont change the fact that WHEN they start dropping on you, its just too much damage too fast that you cant do anything about.

Also the last round of PTS was pretty well dead. Goes allot better when you offer people cookies for participating.

With the changes to Heat + Ghost Heat & 'Sensor Range'-Linked Lock-On Time for IDF, the LRMs are going to be Nerfed, but at least it will happen in an acceptable manner. However, I've detected an awful Bug in the backend for Missile Spread that is affecting even the Live Server right now. I'll be raising hell about that shortly, in order to stop what I discovered is happening, so please Stay Tuned for further posting from me.

View Postthievingmagpi, on 12 February 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

no one drops in PTS because no one cares about minor incremental lrm changes. no one cares at all if spread is 3.6 or 3.8.

lrms are fundamentally bad for gameplay. it's not an issue of tweaking some numbers here and there the way it is for the rest of the mechanics. spending any amount of effort on this is a waste of time as long as the pgi belief is "lrms are a good thing". pts might be interesting if there was a demonstrable amount of care and vision with regards to the end result, or if well-received pts changes from past were actually adopted instead of continually binned.

It's not the LRMs themselves on the Baseline that are at fault, even though I'm going to go with allowing the Nerfs on Heat + Ghost Heat & 'Sensor Range'-Linked Lock-On Time for IDF. It's a combination of people needing to learn to use them properly without being mentally shoved on, as we know people are instantly resistant when something is forced in a harsh manner upon them, and also that there's a hidden Bug in the backend with Missile Spread that I'll be raising hell about shortly. In the meantime, please think about others such as the Medically Disabled who don't have a quote-unquote "fighting fit" body, and take a chill pill for now. We need a solution that avoids shoving them out of the MWO game in any way, unless you're trying to kill MWO through loss from the Player Base size.

View PostNomad One, on 12 February 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

The new spread values are much more rewarding for the risks and requirements for the two different firing modes.

Indirect taking roughly 4 seconds at 1000 meters to achieve a lock against a non-NARC/ TAG influenced target means you will rarely get the chance to fire at the LRMs maximum range, especially against ECM protected opponents. At 750 meters, which is the more common indirect fire backline position, it takes a bit over 3 seconds to acquire an indirect lock. At 500 meters, it's roughly the same 2 seconds as it is on live servers. Granted this was on a 'mech with +43% more sensor range through skill tree and an active probe.

Although the new indirect lock-time increase is still confusing, as players lack a "sensor range" statistic in the mech lab to determine how far they'll be able to see and calculate where they'll be getting the maximum lock time increase penalty.

The new benefits to direct fire gives standard LRMs tactical flexibility, while also allowing Artemis upgraded LRMs to really put the hurt on targets... provided the target stays in line of sight for the flight duration of the missiles.

The PTS LRMs are honestly in a rather good spot.

I would NOT say a good spot, but rather near a right spot. Artemis gets to finally start to act as it should, enabling the LRM user to be able to support their Team on the battlefields. However, I've detected a problem in regard to the Server Backend and how it handles Missile Spread, which I'll be getting after shortly. It's something that should not have ever been allowed to happen in the first place. More posts from me are yet to come.

View PostNightbird, on 12 February 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

I did share that LRM cockpit blinding is what makes LRMs super annoying, but PGI just said that is the intended role/feature of LRMs.... so....nerf them all to hell I say! Posted Image

View PostC337Skymaster, on 13 February 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

The same goes for Dakka. They already fixed flamers for exactly this issue, so I don't know why they can't fix LRMs and Dakka as well.

I'm afraid that C337Skymaster has a real point here. Otherwise, since they lack any real shake properties against someone who has at least one or two 'Improved Gyros' Skill Nodes, LRMs lose one of the few things that can cause opponents to even think about flinching and using cover. And the Ballistic Weapons can indeed be quite blinding, particularly anything that isn't just a Standard AutoCannon in the Weapons Lineup, plus their shake pretty much requires a minimum of 3 of those 'Improved Gyros' Skill Nodes be equipped to not have your ability to aim get blocked totally. If you want to complain about blinding and shaking issues, please start with the Ballistics first.

View PostGrus, on 12 February 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostReno Blade, on 12 February 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Clan missiles are 50% of size AND tonnage. you would still have an advantage if the spread was 200% over IS launchers (not considering streamfire), so its not as bad really Posted Image

View Postdwwolf, on 13 February 2019 - 01:51 AM, said:

Spread is a measure of the diameter of the impact circle.
Double the spread = 4x the area.
So no, they would be half of IS effectiveness.

Worse, they would be only 25% (one quarter) of I.S. Effectiveness, and that may be much in-line with the BattleTech Lore for the Clans. The only reason that Clan LRMs in MWO have a higher Spread Value is because of their Stream-Fire Design, and how it interacts with the Game Engine. But if Clan LRM Spread was so extremely wide like that, it would sadly ruin gameplay in MWO for us normal freeborn humans, and it would do even worse as to shove the Medically Disabled folks totally out the door. BattleTech Lore allows for Pilots who are Medically Disabled, and MWO should be no different in the regard of being accessible/playable and fun to the Medically Disabled folks. I think we had better stick to keeping in mind a lot more than just those who are quote-unquote "fighting fit", unless we want to doom MWO to a shrinking Player Base causing its' end.

View PostCypherdrene, on 12 February 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postthievingmagpi, on 12 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

View PostCaptain Caveman DE, on 12 February 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

eh... no. you can't block stupidity, and that's the problem right here. a lurmer with at least half a brain would stay around his teammates, just so they can back him up in case a light wants to eat him.
but yeah.. your paint might get scratched there a few times, so our noobernova & co stay 600+ behind. and get eaten by lights.
and probably start a "lights broken"-thread right after it happened AGAIN, instead of working on their issues.

Guys, 'Captain Caveman DE' has hit it on the head here. In order to stop the hiding stupidity, you have to not be stupid yourselves, and be willing to communicate in the first place. It really bothers me how at 'Tier 1', so little communication traffic happens, when there should be a lot of it! Invite the LRM user to come along as fast as they can, and follow you at the same time as when you push in. You have to be willing to point out that you can NOT protect them if they keep hanging back so far. If they don't listen after that, then it's fair to use them as a Decoy, causing the Enemy Team to be split so you can chew them to little bits.

Oh... by the way, thievingmagpi, Lock-On Weapons have a place in FPS-type games, albeit that it differs between games. Would you like me to get started with the list, which traces all the way back into 1992, and probably even to a lot further in the past? Choose carefully, for there are just so danged many, and I would be way too willingly glad to flood your mind with the info.

View PostCaptain Caveman DE, on 12 February 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

so. finally got to install the lastest patch and tried.
not a SINGLE game to be had in euro-evenings. in fact, every queue said 0%, so I guess nobody else had a game, either.
tried for 30+ minutes btw. it is almost as if you (PGI) had an event going on on the mainservers...

if you were a cars-building-company, it would be like sayin' "here's our newest car folks, please test it" - and under the hand you're offering a bribe to anybody WHO DOES NOT.
-go figure from there- Posted Image

anyways:
few things I've seen in the testing grounds:
-direct fire looks okay.
-still unsure if it doesn't go into atm-territory too far.

-indirect is still TOO okay.
-especially the "new and improved heat" on clanside is laughable. my noobernova 80 can still fire 3 FULL alphas without getting warm, can tap into the 4th with little to no overheat. and it can still (almost) COOL DOWN doing full group/chainfire.

TL;DR - more heat pls. and more ghostheat on top, yet. I enjoy my occasional lurmboating with a few beers or so, but it is still WAY too rewarding for absolutely no "work".

Here's a question for you... Is your loadout just Purely LRMs, or does it have a reasonable batch of Backup Weaponry? If it's only LRMs, try swapping Heat Sinks for adding some Backup Weaponry in trade. Then check what your Heat Management is really like. I think you're going to find that Heat has been tuned properly. Ghost Heat might however need an increase for firing too many Missile Launchers at a time, as least from what I can tell.

More particularly, though, is that I've detected a Bug in the Backend with how it handles Missile Spread operations. I've got yet to fire off the appropriate posting in that regard, so I'm withholding details for now. Stay Tuned!

On your note about Direct Fire, it does delve a bit too far into the ATMs' territory. PGI should follow the thoughts of 'Reno Blade' on this count, and provide an Angle Toggle for controlling flight path. However, that Angle Toggle should retain the Spread Buff of the LOS Lock-On method when firing if the Pilot has that LOS requirement met at the moment of launch, or has their own personal Target Decay handling the shot.

Also again, IDF needs to be kept friendly to the Medically Disabled folks. If we get stupid and shove them out the door, then we lose a chunk of the Player Base that should never have been lost in the first place.

View PostLances107, on 13 February 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I had hoped to stay out of this, and I had hoped the devs had the good sense to do this correctly. Word has it your going to go live with current live server values for indirect, and keep increase damage for direct fire LRMS. The only result this will have is turn every match into LRM boats. I am already seeing polar allot more then I should, and this is probably because people are anticipating this change. I have strong objections for indirect fire damage being anything resembling effective.

These are some nerfs over the years
- Clan uacs loaded with ghost heat and limitations. Developer reason it wasnt fair for other pilots to constantly getting shook apart by clan uacs.
-Clan er medium lasers loaded with ghost heat and nerf. Developer reason they are too strong. Even though they require skill to aim and shoot on target.
- Clan omni mechs. Several of them have lower armor on certain torsos. My guess because you viewed the convergence too strong.
- Clan gauss and ppc loaded with ghost heat. Developer reason using a bunch of double talk, it boiled down to other players didnt like getting shot up at 800m away.
- Clan XL engine sabotaged on purpose. My guess because you felt we were too mobile.

My point how in the hell and all the logic in the universe can you say we are going to buff LRMS in direct fire, and leave indirect fire as effective choice as it is now on live, after you have done all the things I listed above in the name of balance. You put this live aint no one is going to see anything but missile boats. You kill quick play you kill the game. The whole point of this exercise was to limit drastically indirect fire LRMS/ATMS and instead your just going to make the whole system stronger.

View PostNomad One, on 14 February 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

Because, had you bothered to read the notes on these changes or tested them out yourself, you would realize that LRM damage is not being increased, rather spread is being reduced for directly fired LRMs so as to improve their chances against existing direct fire weapon options in shot trading scenarios.

Indirect fire is keeping its live server spread value because LRMs as a whole on the PTS got ghost heat penalties increased and base heat costs increased, meaning LRM damage over time will go down slightly if your mech cannot fit an adequate amount of heatsinks to compensate. LRM burst potential is also being reduced on the PTS to be more like other weapon systems; capable of last minute alpha strike efforts.

On top of this, the PTS has a new lock-on mechanic being tested where the further you are away from a target that is not within direct view, the longer it will take for the LRM boat to acquire a lock for said missiles to track the target. This means that you have more time to break line of sight on enemy elements spotting for those mean old nasty LRM boats to completely deny them the ability to fire without seeking you out. Only homing missile using 'mechs that can directly see you get a quicker lock-on time, to compensate for the fact that you can come out of cover, shoot and often be moving back into cover by the time the first missiles are about to hit you.

The point was never to "drastically limit" indirect fire, rather to slightly reduce the effectiveness of passive uses of the weapon system while also providing avenues to utilize the weapon system more proactively.

Nomad One has really hit it on the head here, and pretty damned accurately. LRMs on the PTS v2.1 are simply not as good as on the Live Server for IDF users, and specifically because of all the underlying nerfs that have been made part of the particular Weapon System. Plus, the LRM Weapon System has to be kept friendly to the Medically Disabled folks in the Player Base in terms of Missile Spread. If it fails to be kept reasonably usable and capable for them, then we end up throwing out a section of the Player Base which we should never have lost in the first place. As I have noted up above, BattleTech Lore allows for the Medically Disabled folks, and so should we here in MWO without question to the precedence that is already there. Otherwise we do ourselves the extreme dishonor of being toxic to those whose Real Life Body is not quote-unquote "fighting fit", and I simply can not condone that kind of behavior against them.

As for some of the other Nerfs that Lances107 has brought up, here is my standpoints and/or knowledge on a few of those for their reference...
  • ER Medium Lasers -- Their current Heat (6.3) is definitely too high for the Damage (6.5) being done. Why PGI fails to understand this, particularly in combination with other changes that they have made to MWO, is well more than puzzling at best to me. Having used it for a while, I can objectively say the generation of Heat should be no more than a '6.0' per shot now on these, given the lacking damage. Lances107, if you decide to start a movement to get this Issue fixed to better than it is now, you'll have my support given to you outright.
  • Clan OmniMechs -- Yes, there has been some giant Nerfs in the past. However, you should pay attention to the Quirks on Mechs like the Executioner and Dire Wolf, which finally got some overdue and needed love. So have some other Mechs, for that matter, so check their Quirks too. Things are really not as bad as they used to be knocked down to.
  • Clan Gauss & ER PPC Combos -- I'm not trying to be incendiary here, but it was far beyond worse than just being shot at 800+ Meters. The real problem was those who got insanely skilled with them, and then ruthlessly and rudely abused the weapon at Exploit-like levels, which goes outside the limit of sportsmanlike gameplay. You could literally never see where it was coming from, generally speaking, and would die while unable to fight back. It caused literally everyone else to not ever be able to shoot back at the sniper using them, while that sniper could keep hitting with up to 60 PPFLD Damage at extreme distances. While I don't like having to drop a nerf on them, that nerf pretty much goes hand-in-hand with LRMs having later on lost 100 Meters off the previous Baseline Range which they used to have at 1000 Meters, which happened to match the older "MechWarrior 2" game. (And I sadly remember how PPCs and Gauss used to have these bonkers 1.5+ KiloMeter Ranges in that older game!)
  • Clan XL & I.S. LFE Engines -- PGI should not be leaving Heat on a Mech that was contained in a Destroyed Component, period. The fact that they have left that Heat in the Mech shows that they utterly failed to code the penalty properly for when a Side Torso is lost. A percentage of the Heat on your Mech at the time should definitely disappear with the loss of a Side Torso, but only once per Match (you lose the other Side Torso, then you're dead anyway), relative to the Heat Sinks that have been lost. Further, they have definitely turned up the cooling penalty now to an overly extreme level, and that should not have been done either. About the only thing one can do now is to make sure to have needed Extra Heat Sinks on the Mech, and avoid letting your Heat Level be constantly upward of 60% of maximum. Lances107, this Issue regarding Clan XL & I.S. LFE Engines is one which you will find me supporting any effort by you to get this problem fixed, so feel free to get the petition started!
...and now that I've finished with that, I'm also going to point out that I have detected a Serious Bug with how the game's backend operates in regard to Missile Spread in general. That problem needs to be fixed before ANY single version of the LRM PTS, or even a mix thereof, can be given a real indication of being honestly worthy to put into the Live Servers for normal gameplay. Stay tuned, for there will be more posts from me to follow on the MWO Forums, and likely in several key areas of these boards.

...and now as I unfortunately predicted, even though I was trying to hurry, it really is 3 hours later. So many people that I've had to quote, and then reply to, that I've run out of time for any further posting beyond this right now. Everyone, take note of my heavy efforts to make sure that changes proposed through the LRM PTS all get done right. Yes, they really need changes to encourage getting LOS for Direct Fire, and some underlying nerfs to prevent Abuse-Like Exploiting by the small Upper Echelon of the Player Base, but these changes have to come without causing harm toward those who are Medically Disabled, or it causes far more harm than any good that came of it. Remember, your body might be fine now, but who knows what could happen in your future. Don't pre-determine yours through bad choices in your past. Now, please pardon me while I deal with some Real Life Issues, and then come back later to post my personal-but-objective experience on how the LRM PTS v2.1 seems to function to me. As it is, I definitely thank Chris Lowrey this time around for doing the Current LRM PTS v2.1 as right as he knowingly could, because it allowed me to even find the Missle Spread Backend Bug through normal PTS Client usage, give or take the Missing PTS Patch Download that he made me have to go track down on my own for everyone! :mellow:

~Mr. D. V. "definitely going to have a lot of posting to do later, but that's temporarily on hold" Devnull

#35 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

I tried it in Testing Grounds - Shooting Gallery.

The tracking of LRM 15's is quite adequate. I was able to fire missiles at one target and lasers at another quite well. The damage was fairly well centered on the CT of larger mechs but lights were getting a lot on their legs also, Which could be good. Of course this was all line of sight.

I used one UAV on Frozen city for the Catapult at the ice ramp while standing on the shelf just above. The missiles worked the targets CT quite well.

I find being forced to keep my recticle on the target just frustrating enough to be somewhat well balanced against other weapons. The spread might be a little to in my favor. Unless you want more missiles in the game.

I can see how you are trying to steer LRM pilots into using their weapons in a more direct fire role.

But I agree with a couple of other players fantasy of being able to paint the ground using the battle map. It seems more modern Army like to be able to send support to the front lines. Wherever they call for it.The year is 3060 or something like that. Our highly advanced Mechs should be capable of some rather cool tricks.

#36 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 February 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

It's not the LRMs themselves on the Baseline that are at fault, even though I'm going to go with allowing the Nerfs on Heat + Ghost Heat & 'Sensor Range'-Linked Lock-On Time for IDF. It's a combination of people needing to learn to use them properly without being mentally shoved on, as we know people are instantly resistant when something is forced in a harsh manner upon them, and also that there's a hidden Bug in the backend with Missile Spread that I'll be raising hell about shortly. In the meantime, please think about others such as the Medically Disabled who don't have a quote-unquote "fighting fit" body, and take a chill pill for now. We need a solution that avoids shoving them out of the MWO game in any way, unless you're trying to kill MWO through loss from the Player Base size.

Player hemorrhaging is already something that has been going on for a long time, and it's from two-directions:

1) top-down, meaning a lot of good players have long since bailed on this game. this has a negative effect on the game.

2) bottom-up, meaning new players aren't joining and not sticking around. this has a negative effect on the game.

Equal access to the game is important. Artificially inflating certain mechanics because of such a reason has a negative effect on the game.

The refusal of PGI to acknowledge the great flight of skilled players, and their total unwillingness to admit any issue with matchmaking further accentuates all the stated points.

In a game with something resembling a proper matchmaker and tier system, people who do not have competitive interest, or for any reason do not wish to or cannot use certain systems would be sorted into arenas best suited for them. A large range of skill levels and "tryhardness" is important for a game because it means all kinds of people can have fun. It's also important that they don't overlap too much.

For MWO that's not the case.

It's not fun to drop with/against people with a different idea of gameplay and entirely different level of skill. It's also not fun for *those* people to drop against top-level comp players. It's unfair to both.

Continued buffs to lock-on weapons, reduction of the skill ceiling further deepens this problem as the concept of skill and forward progression is deleted from the game.

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 February 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

Oh... by the way, thievingmagpi, Lock-On Weapons have a place in FPS-type games, albeit that it differs between games. Would you like me to get started with the list, which traces all the way back into 1992, and probably even to a lot further in the past? Choose carefully, for there are just so danged many, and I would be way too willingly glad to flood your mind with the info.

Them being in games doesn't mean they *belong* there, or that the end result is made better with their inclusion.

And for most of those games you'll find 1 of 2 things:

1) they're hot garbage and only good for messing around and memes (as they should be)

or

2) when they're effective, the same complaint bout lowered skill ceiling exists.

Edited by thievingmagpi, 14 February 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#37 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Well guys I do not use LRMs, which is why I wanted to stay out of this conversation. My concern is not the direct fire mechanics, damage, or spread, because in this case it forces the LRM pilot to be with his team. Its the Indirect I want to see die completely or nerfed into oblivion. Players in game are, forgive the wording, cattle for the most part. They have to herded to a location to fight properly or to work as a team. This is one of the reasons I loved escort and use domn as much as possible. Multiple games today my team had one to three LRM boats so far in the rear it was not even funny. This is my ultimate goal, and is what I want to see killed, I want these pilots to join there teams and fight with there teams.

As for the engine. To be honest some changes I get pissed about, but then I move on. The heat change on the engines is one of the most crippling game changes I have seen in MWO. This is why I plan on not letting it go.

#38 Thander Gil

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTulsa,Ok

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 11 February 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

New LRM idea for much later down the road, but which I've felt should have been a "thing" right along:

We should be able to fire LRMs using the Battlegrid, just designating a point for the LRMs to land, and having them fire and turn in that direction. This allows an LRM boat to provide indirect fire support on a location where enemies are known to be hiding.

Counters to keep this from being super OP:
- Spread at 20 or 30 (which simultaneously minimizes the amount of damage taken by any one component, and makes it easier to get a hit on something without knowing where the enemy is down to the meter).
- Having the battlegrid open dramatically reduces the LRM boat's situational awareness, and makes them easier to attack and kill.

Thats Called Artillery

#39 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

Catching up one more time...

View Postthievingmagpi, on 14 February 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Player hemorrhaging is already something that has been going on for a long time, and it's from two-directions:

1) top-down, meaning a lot of good players have long since bailed on this game. this has a negative effect on the game.

2) bottom-up, meaning new players aren't joining and not sticking around. this has a negative effect on the game.

Equal access to the game is important. Artificially inflating certain mechanics because of such a reason has a negative effect on the game.

The refusal of PGI to acknowledge the great flight of skilled players, and their total unwillingness to admit any issue with matchmaking further accentuates all the stated points.

In a game with something resembling a proper matchmaker and tier system, people who do not have competitive interest, or for any reason do not wish to or cannot use certain systems would be sorted into arenas best suited for them. A large range of skill levels and "tryhardness" is important for a game because it means all kinds of people can have fun. It's also important that they don't overlap too much.

For MWO that's not the case.

It's not fun to drop with/against people with a different idea of gameplay and entirely different level of skill. It's also not fun for *those* people to drop against top-level comp players. It's unfair to both.

Continued buffs to lock-on weapons, reduction of the skill ceiling further deepens this problem as the concept of skill and forward progression is deleted from the game.

Well, we don't need to do any quote-unquote "Artificial Inflation" at this point. We only need to keep IDF still properly usable by people who suffer from Medical Disabilities, which happens to be where IDF is standing approximately as it should right now on the Live Server. (Give or take that damned Bug which I was talking about...) And we don't need to buff IDF any further, as that's going to be in the right place even with the Nerfing Increases in Lock Time, Heat, and Ghost Heat. IDF users want faster Lock-On times, they'll have to get up with the Team anyway! (Thankfully, those with Medical Disabilities which I've heard from don't like being apart from the Team anyway, so this should actually work for them.) IDF was only meant for a DPS-style mode of usage, like your signature says. The only thing needing a boost now is Line-Of-Sight Direct Fire operations with LRMs, and things will be where they should be. TAG however? That needs a small fraction of Lock Time Boost restored to it, and that will also then be right. :)

As for the MatchMaker, I can agree that PGI needs to revise that System, and then do a Hard PSR Reset on literally EVERYONE in the Player Base. The ultimate result would be the honestly High-Skill Players going up again, and the people who don't want to Communicate and play as a Team would remain down where they belong. At least, ideally, that's how it should work... But I think we can agree whether it really will work out is a different matter entirely. Anyone trying to break out of 'Tier 5' after that will have their hands full. :unsure:

View Postthievingmagpi, on 14 February 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Them being in games doesn't mean they *belong* there, or that the end result is made better with their inclusion.

And for most of those games you'll find 1 of 2 things:

1) they're hot garbage and only good for messing around and memes (as they should be)

or

2) when they're effective, the same complaint bout lowered skill ceiling exists.

Eh... Do you remember the old 1999-edition "Unreal Tournament" and its' Rocket Launcher? That one always REQUIRED serious Skill to dodge, stay alive, Lock-On, and nail whoever was running around a map with a Full Shield Belt PLUS ~200 Health on them. And while there were Close-Range Solutions, it was the only thing, short of the Redeemer's alt-fire /w manual pilot nuke, that could stop such an opponent in one definite hit without needing the Damage Doubler pickup. It was effective, but never lowered the Skill Ceiling in any way, directly due to the needed exposure. ^_^

On the other hand? A normally-dumbfire Rocket Launcher with a Laser Dot, like that of the one in Half-Life, was more of what you would file under "Hot Meme Garbage" stuff. Point one way, shoot, stick the Laser Dot off the other direction, watch the [bleep] fly. :P

MWO's LRMs fall into an interesting spot, though, even compared to these. Due to having to track the Target's Locking Square, the CT is constantly trapped in one orientation. People can NOT turn to shield, otherwise the LRMs will fail to hit their target. They are unable to twist their Torso, as how those with MRMs/SRMs/Ballistics/PPCs/Lasers can. Even worse, SSRMs can be Locked-On, fired, and then their user twist if they choose, as those will still hit anyway. So the Skill Requirement in regard to positioning and tracking is hellishly high. If PGI will at least widen the Locking Angle by about 3 Degrees on both sides, we can probably keep LRMs in a state where IDF receives no further boosting than this PTS would allow it to have, all the Nerfs that are already on the table with LRM PTS v2.1, and keep it so that even those with Medical Disabilities will be able to help their Team properly. But if LRMs get any worse than they are there for IDF users, we'll lose those with Medical Disabilities faster than PGI can understand what happened. :(

View PostLances107, on 14 February 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Well guys I do not use LRMs, which is why I wanted to stay out of this conversation. My concern is not the direct fire mechanics, damage, or spread, because in this case it forces the LRM pilot to be with his team. Its the Indirect I want to see die completely or nerfed into oblivion. Players in game are, forgive the wording, cattle for the most part. They have to herded to a location to fight properly or to work as a team. This is one of the reasons I loved escort and use domn as much as possible. Multiple games today my team had one to three LRM boats so far in the rear it was not even funny. This is my ultimate goal, and is what I want to see killed, I want these pilots to join there teams and fight with there teams.

Well, hopefully the LRM PTS v2.1 will give you what you need, provided that PGI puts it into the Live Server. The IDF Lock Time Changes will essentially force LRM users to stick with their Team... Well, provided it doesn't cause them to have to be aggressive and end up suiciding into the Enemy Team to get close enough for Fast Locks, which would put you short on Teammates to help you. ;)

If it doesn't entirely give you what you're looking for, just keep in mind that we do NOT want to Nerf IDF so badly that it stops those with Medical Disabilities from continuing to play MWO at all. Remember, one day your body is fine, the next it could be in very bad shape. I don't know how it could happen or why it would (and I would NOT wish it on anyone), but I think you would not want to be put to pasture and out of MWO because it did. At least, I would like to think people could agree with me that being discriminated over based on your body's condition would be wrong. That's why we can NOT go around Nerfing IDF into oblivion. :huh:

View PostLances107, on 14 February 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

As for the engine. To be honest some changes I get pissed about, but then I move on. The heat change on the engines is one of the most crippling game changes I have seen in MWO. This is why I plan on not letting it go.

I agree with you on this. Not losing Heat that was part of the Destroyed Components is purely bad game coding, even if you're up near Maximum Tolerances on the Mech you're piloting. Any chance you could provide a Link to a Forum Thread where the movement has been started to end this problem? B)

View PostThander Gil, on 15 February 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Thats Called Artillery

Too true. Plus, C337Skymaster's implementation is a little too wide-set, particularly compared to the current design of Artillery Strikes. It also has nowhere near the Splash Damage, making it effectively useless. :blink:

...and now I scram again. More things to read, some to post... :ph34r:

~Mr. D. V. "More ado about LRM PTS v2.1 ... then realizing they're behind on a few things... oh dear..." Devnull

#40 Dregian Bloodwrath

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

all i will say is if lrms gets buffed even more ill quit playing all together as lrms are now and every second mech now being a lrm bout a lot of the the fun has been taken out of the game already if pgi turns mwo into lrmsonline .. this game will die real quick.. every day i come across more and more ppl complaining about the amount of lrms in battle.. its gotten to the point that even ams is useless against all the lrms .. and no use hiding doesnt help if get hit by lrms from all directions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users