Higher Fps = Better Games?

37 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

I'm not really a great pilot, I know how things work, but my execution is lacking. I can't say I'm good at hitting lights either.

But Mostly I play sub 30 FPS, in fact I used to play at consistent 28 FPS on my other Laptop, but then it went down, i don't know why to 11 - 22 FPS on a supposedly better laptop (Acer Aspire V3) when I "Fresh Start" it with Windows Defender.

You think that If i actually had consistent 60 FPS, i'd be a completely better player?

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Probably. 60 fps would make the game smoother for you which could improve your gameplay just because what you see would be more fluid. Also your probably having frame drops and stutters that could be throwing you off at times.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

Maybe, increased FPS from sub 30s to 60 FPS had resulted in better damage, surviving longer (more effective torso/leg twisting to spread damage, etc for other peoples who were able to increase their FPS with either component or system upgrades. Then there are those few who could have auto-aim abilities on a great system and still not improve, for a variety of reasons.

Higher FPS would also generate less frustration, or maybe more since a player would no longer have low FPS to take the blame :)

For MWO, going from most laptops to even an old Intel system a few years old with a level entry Nvidia 1050 (normal of SFF) could potential be a huge improvement.

Even doing that though would be dependent on location and a minimum of funds and some research, simply in making sure that small amount of funds is enough to get that minimum type of system, whether it is feasible or not to get.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 February 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

You think that If i actually had consistent 60 FPS, i'd be a completely better player?

More fps does make shooting things easier. Which is why people who got 144Hz monitor never wants to go back to 60Hz one. People think anything over 60 fps doesn't make a difference in human eyes but that's a fat lie.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 February 2019 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

Iv constantly played with sub par equipment over the years, and I can say that having a low framerate is the only thing more frustraiting than bad net (oh lord the traumas i have from the days of cheap dialup) - a crappy mouse/tiny mouse pad space is pretty obnoxious too, combine them all and its years of essentially being handicapped by my wallet. If you can improve any/all of those things - do it.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

Well I can say having done comp at the highest level at 30FPS and then rebuilding mid season (last year) and going from 30FPS upto 120-165FPS on a 165hz monitor...

It made no difference to me in terms of better play or improved results. Stuff just looks nicer/smoother/less jerky.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 February 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#7 Apache1990

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

If you can hold a stable 30 FPS without drops, it's alright, but usually games will stutter when action gets busy, so more is good to help with that.

#8 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

30 fps should be the least. Anything below that might impair your aim. If things stutter try to get your settings lower. Your "vision" must be constantly smooth, thats in most cases above 30 fps. Anything above that is subjective cause your brain can only process a set amount of informations.

#9 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

@OP and title yes so much

Had many rigs and many connections playing this game and yes it makes a big difference

#10 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:42 AM

Science says yes
http://web.cs.wpi.ed...fr/fulltext.pdf

And I also say yes. Back in 2014 I basically stopped playing after 12v12 was added because my FPS dropped from consistent 60+ to variable within the 20-40 range. If you can get always above 30 it makes a big difference.

#11 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:55 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 February 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

I'm not really a great pilot, I know how things work, but my execution is lacking. I can't say I'm good at hitting lights either.

But Mostly I play sub 30 FPS, in fact I used to play at consistent 28 FPS on my other Laptop, but then it went down, i don't know why to 11 - 22 FPS on a supposedly better laptop (Acer Aspire V3) when I "Fresh Start" it with Windows Defender.

If you are playing on WIN10, try using the in-built compatibility options and have windows run MWO like it's WIN7... that worked for my Fiancee's laptop (also Acer with Win10).. went from 2 FPS to 40-60 FPS..

#12 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:21 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 February 2019 - 12:55 AM, said:

If you are playing on WIN10, try using the in-built compatibility options and have windows run MWO like it's WIN7... that worked for my Fiancee's laptop (also Acer with Win10).. went from 2 FPS to 40-60 FPS..

I am already doing that, still the same.

#13 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:45 AM

your only going to get what the monitor will allow

I use TV's 43" 1080p the next upgrade is a 4k 120

But none of this is as important as your ping,

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 12 February 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

But none of this is as important as your ping,

As important as another fallacy you mean.

I play with between 90-240-350ms, day in/out and it makes no discernable difference in game. They only time I noticed was when the OC server was in Syd and I had 20ms or so. Could tell between that and the 300ms. Was it game changing enough to affect the gameplay massively? Not even close.

Anyone that blames 'oh my ping is 150ms that's why I miss my shots' is absolutely full of it

Edited by justcallme A S H, 12 February 2019 - 01:57 AM.

#15 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:26 AM

there is a world of difference in ping between 162ms and 38ms

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:31 AM

In many FPS, yes there is.

In MWO? Not nearly as much as many players (mostly low skill) claim exists.

#17 MiZia

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 February 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

As important as another fallacy you mean.

I play with between 90-240-350ms, day in/out and it makes no discernable difference in game. They only time I noticed was when the OC server was in Syd and I had 20ms or so. Could tell between that and the 300ms. Was it game changing enough to affect the gameplay massively? Not even close.

Anyone that blames 'oh my ping is 150ms that's why I miss my shots' is absolutely full of it

Tbh there is a difference...i never play OC servers and yesterday i did some practice lobby with 228 guys and friends and in the first 3-5 matches couldnt hit with srms at almost point blank... well going from 100 (US) to 350-400 (OC) is something u get be used to

#18 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 12 February 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

there is a world of difference in ping between 162ms and 38ms

MWO has an awesome handling of ping. If it were at 500 Ping, i'd draw the line, but my NA is at stable 271 - 278 and I'm still having OK games despite sub 30 FPS, and if anything it crashes to 18.

#19 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:24 AM

Because MWO is slow paced. Try CS, BF, COD or any other faster paced shooter and you will appreciate low ping and high fps.

#20 OrkusMorkus

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:14 AM

Some related questions - I feel Im also suffering performance-wise due to FPS issues.

Most of the time my FPS is fine, but during close quarters fighting especially when when receiving fire my FPS tanks massively and I really struggle to put the damage out like I see other players do.

I understand MWO isn't the most optimised game out there, if so its unlikely to be completely a hardware issue:

1. Is there any sort of guide or collection of tips on how to get MWO's FPS to remain more stable? (I noticed the one about running it in W7 compatability mode, thanks I'll give it a shot).

2. If I upgrade my GPU to something far in excess of requirements, will that overall increase in capability translate to better performance in those crucial close combat moments, or will it just tank down to really low FPS either way?

My current is a FX-6300 CPU and GTX 1050ti, I am looking at buying something like a 1070ti if it will help. Sorry to hijack the thread Posted Image

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users