Glowing Eyes Are Back Feb 19Th!

276 replies to this topic

#161 DarkReaver1986

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

I would like to see a Bolt-on like Mr Ts Gold Chains around the Neck of Humanoid Mechs.

#162 Cervantes88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:48 AM

Look i don't know how to edit images so i just found one on google and MSpainted red on it, but the little " upper middle side" windows on the EBJ would look cool as eyes.

Posted Image

#163 Wildcard13

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

I will like to see the Centurion with red eyes! or like the cyclons from battle star galactica

#164 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostDaurock, on 15 February 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

Some good places for "Glowy" Things -

The Eyes of a Commando, Cougar, Panther, anything animal based really, all make good candidates.

The hands of some more "Prominent" handed mechs also would be interesting - The Thunderbolt (AKA thunderFIST), Roughneck, and maybe the awesome or Atlas would be good candidates.

The "Guns Ports" on certain mechs also make good candidates - Things like the Hunchback or Fafnir with glowy Weapon sections would be cool to see.

Finally, anything with Claws. The Kodiak, and the Crabs are good examples of this.

Many of the non-humanoid mechs have some kind of sensor cluster on their torso or nose sections. Those would probably be the closest eye analogues.

#165 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostQueenBlade, on 14 February 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

I'm more disappointed that development time was used for this...

Unless you want the art team to stop everything they're doing and learn how to be amateur programmers you shouldn't be upset over this. The people who make art assets and the people who make the rest of the game are not the same people.

#166 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:33 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I tried to make each post seperate but the forum allways throws them back into one....so here you go...one long post.
PS: How are we supposed to fullfill the rule of "- 1 Mech/Glowing Idea Entry Per Post" that way? Do you aspect us to wait until the next guy posts something to come back and post the next image and then wait again?

Edited by Nesutizale, 15 February 2019 - 07:29 AM.

#167 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

easy, just enter once.

#168 SolomonKane112

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

I need it for the HBR

Edited by SolomonKane112, 15 February 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#169 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostWildcard13, on 15 February 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

I will suggest to have the CENTURION added with red eyes..also the NOVA CAT

or, a Centurion's "Fin" would be pretty cool, IMO

#170 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Posted Image

#171 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 15 February 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

easy, just enter once.

Didn't work. I made a post. Then did a new one but that was merged automaticly into the first one.

PS: If an admin can seperate this please do so.

Edited by Nesutizale, 15 February 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#172 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

View PostDeeber, on 14 February 2019 - 04:22 PM, said:

I don't think anyone has proposed this yet, so ...

PGI: how about giving all Founders a complimentary set of the initial five 'glowing eyes' bolt-ons? I think this would be a fitting goodwill gesture, particularly since the glowing eyes that were once on the Atlas had been removed. (I am not a Founder, so I have zero self-interest in making this suggestion.) Thanks for considering this. Posted Image

My thought is to give it free to the mechs that already had it. For the rest it's a bolt-on.
This is minimum fairness and maximizes player choice:

All the peeps who had it and loved it, get it back. (WIN)
All the peeps who had it and hated it, can turn it off. (WIN-WIN)
All the peeps who think it's amazing to have on other mechs can pay. (WIN-WIN-WIN)

I struggle to understand why these things are always framed as a binary choice.

Some other advantages:
Those peeps who are unsure, get to see it in game without anyone paying for it, and if they want, they can not only buy the bolt-on, but also buy the mechs that get it for free.
(e.g, I wasn't going to buy the K-9, until I learned it came with flashing lights. That became an instant buy)

One might also argue this is the "first taste is free" model.

#173 Pepito Sbazzeguti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostAram Banjo, on 15 February 2019 - 02:38 AM, said:

I hate the commandos, but could love the Terminator eye!

And I propose marauders too.

PS: I had to reply to a neighbour, Giuseppe Bottazzi!! ������

Uh?! I'm definitely not Giuseppe Bottazzi.. cough cough I mean, someone won the lottery and all people think about fake name lol.. Posted Image

#174 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:01 AM

Blood asp glow bolt-on to represent a serpentine visage

Awful mockup with decals; Posted Image

#175 Nishivion

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

View PostAlilua, on 14 February 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

finally laser cats! Posted Image

Man. You beat me to the Huntsman while I was making my post. *shakes fist*

#176 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostFelbombling, on 14 February 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Before you guys go all happy happy dance on this, remember that the Atlas glowing eye was removed per player request, as the glowing spot proved a wonderful aiming device for capping out Atlas cockpits.

Just sayin'... Posted Image

Our Collective Memory is short, and absence can make the heart grow fonder etc.???
Thank you for the reminder of why removed.

View PostMatt Newman, on 14 February 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Point taken! I have known Queenblade for quite some time we have hung out at many events starting way back in the Launch event in San Fran. I have a long history with clowning with the 228th which he plays for and they like to call me an honorary member. (I have 228th shirts, Pins Etc) I was not trying to be mean in my post but yeah I can see how that would 100% look that way. Tina has given me a warning now so I'll behave. Posted Image

Actually I prefer devs who are approachably human like Matt.

Hopefully the vocal minority that only post negative, angry, vitriol-criticism don't ruin that for the rest of us.
Because communicating with players through lawyer-like approved prewritten-script once every month or two is boring af.

Consider this quote from 2013:
"It's as if the internet hit a reset button for some people in terms of how they treat one another."
"It's almost like we're reverting to our primitive tendencies where we didn't know rules of social decorum and so forth, and in the short term it seems to be getting worse, as if people are socially devolving online."
https://www.polygon....-support-groups

Fast forward to summer of 2018 and consider this article showing the devolution progress:
https://medium.com/@...ss-c09cc5cc8728

And that article lead to the gaming industry discussing this issue in depth last year, for example:
https://calgaryheral...in-video-games/

Hopefully that a small vocal minority of toxic people, and that everyone will read the last 2 linked articles.

EDIT: Redacted the below comment since Matt clarified this issue a few posts afterwards.

Thankfully are some people who've communicated cordially that disagree with selling the glowing eyes for the Atlas to founders, and that the 1,000 mc seems steep.
And I agree with them, any player who had purchased a Founders Atlas should get the atlas glowing eyes for free.

I'd also suggest if its possible that Founders Atlas players should get single atlas glowing eye left, and another for right eye, for free. And the Single atlas glowing eye would be exclusive to founders atlas?

Edited by Akillius, 15 February 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#177 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

1000MC for the glow? Is that maybe a mock up price in the gif or has it been confirmed?
I didn't read anything about the price of the glow in the news and PGI has several times shown images with made up values so they have something to show until the values are set in stone.

PS: About Matt, I like that he shows up every now and then. At least one Dev that you can read.

Edited by Nesutizale, 15 February 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#178 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 14 February 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

How about glowing eye decal

Dat way the eyes can go on any mech and maybe save you some work PGI Art team

Atlas to the starboard bow........its a flea nvm

Issue with it as a decal is decals are projected onto the mech like a floating light effect, without the light.

It has no physical substance from which to emit a light, instead the projector floats in the air pointed at the mech. If you were to give it a light, it would not have the desired effect.
Imagine this...
Posted Image
But the carrot is the projector "painting" your mech with a decal.
When you add a light to it so that it 'glows', the light would be at the projector's position...illuminating the entire mech.
You could in theory set the decal to just be "unlit" aka "Full bright"... but it still wouldn't really glow, and the effect would probably be similarly disappointing as this.
Posted Image
Or this (the bottom two are "unlit" aka "Full bright", now imagine your glowy eye texture looking like that... it'd just be terrible.
Posted Image
(Granted they could really 'texture' it a bit, but given that it needs to be able to change colors, it won't look anywhere near as good as the bolt-on solution...)

#179 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

All these glowing stuff on a warmachines...
I do know but only one exact place, where it is appropriate....

Posted Image

#180 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

Re: Founders Deserve glowing eyes free!

So I took some time to investigate the Founders Atlas and the Glowing Eyes situation because I was a little fuzzy on remembering the details.

As it turns out the Founders Atlas never had glowing eyes:

The Standard Atlas only had Glowing Eyes in Closed and Open Beta.

The Glowing Eyes were loved by some and hated by some.

The Glowing eyes were removed some time ahead of the September Launch Event in San Fran.

Why were they removed?

We removed glowing eyes from the Standard Atlas because they were they were highly visible.

Players were concerned, rightly so, that they would give away position and Mech type, "Oh look an atlas right over there", and provide a headshot target "Headshot me here" and could not be turned off.

Some were happy some were sad. https://mwomercs.com...-to-atlas-eyes/

Ultimately they requested some of the functionality we are delivering on Feb 19th. https://mwomercs.com...e/page__st__100

But they were free before!

Yes, they were "free" but you couldn't turn them off or change the color.

They were part of the very old (beta) Mech skin until the Glow was removed at players request.

In light of this, we won't be giving free glowing eyes.

Like most cosmetics in the game, the Atlas glowing Eyes bolt-on is a MC upgrade.

I imagine they will find their way into other sales (Halloween Sale probably) and possibly be rewarded for events one day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users