Griffin Build

21 replies to this topic

#1 DRA282

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

I am a pretty new player in mechwarrior online and I had a bit of c bills to spare. So I bought myself a griffin 1n and outfitted it with this build https://mwo.smurfy-n...6f3afe60ef96096 My intention was to make a close range brawler ish mech with srms. Its alright but it seems a bit easy to die in sometimes (Im probably just a bad player) and i was looking for some veteran advice on how to make it better. Thanks

#2 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

GRF-1N

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

If you want to brawl the Large Pulse Laser is not the best tool there is, I suggest getting another MPL and using those 5 tons to equip a LFE engine so you don't die by losing your left torso (remember to torso twist and offer you lefts side when receiving incoming fire). Also use less armor in the back (vets use as little as 1 but you can start with 6 or so until you battle awareness improves) and move SRM ammo to legs, it will be a decent brawler.

Also downgrading the MPL to regular ML will allow you to use SRM6+Art, this makes the SRM volley quite a lot tighter allowing you to concentrate damage better which if you train your aim will prove a lot deadlier than spraying enemy mechs all around.

PS: Considering you are a new player the build you posted is decent enough, you certainly know what you are doing, keep the good work.

#4 DRA282

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply i will play around in smurfy and look at your build :) I would also be interested in knowing what skills you would use

Edited by DRA282, 02 March 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#5 M R T

• PipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

View PostDRA282, on 02 March 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

I am a pretty new player in mechwarrior online and I had a bit of c bills to spare. So I bought myself a griffin 1n and outfitted it with this build https://mwo.smurfy-n...6f3afe60ef96096 My intention was to make a close range brawler ish mech with srms. Its alright but it seems a bit easy to die in sometimes (Im probably just a bad player) and i was looking for some veteran advice on how to make it better. Thanks

The griffin is an awesome mech. If you like a fast skirmisher, try this one: GRF-1N. Its fast and cool, and excellent for pop tarting. If you want more survivability, try this one: GRF-1N. Same principle, but slower.

I choose medium lasers over pulse lasers because of the tonnage spared, and also they are cooler. I skip artemis, because after the nerfs, it isn't worth the extra tonnage.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

View PostDRA282, on 02 March 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

Use THIS.

Decently heat forgiving and fast to get you outta a bad spot should you find yourself in one. Little less alpha than the 3MPL version, but yeah, if you are learning this will be easier to play.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 02 March 2019 - 06:01 PM.

#7 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

As a new player I wouldn't recommend brawling.

Brawling is quite difficult, because you need to sophisticated skills like torso-twisting and arm-shielding to distribute incoming damage. In addition you need a good map awareness for correct positioning to engage opponents from their flank.

I would rather suggest an MRM-build. It is not as powerful as a SRM-build in brawling, but can at least hit something beyond 300 m.

For MRMs: https://mwo.smurfy-n...2a2fef603631ff9

Edited by xe N on, 02 March 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#8 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:28 PM

For new players, I would not recommend XL engines... With a completely dead shoulder, you can fire and twist, protecting your weapons. Other than that, the Griffin was one of my first Mechs and I enjoyed it a lot. It is still the chassis that I produced my second best match ever with, something like a year ago.

Having said that, if you have CBills left over and enjoy medium IS Mechs, try to buy a Bushwacker X1. It is strong, tanky and can be quite powerful. And it is on sale right now, so you only need to pay 50% for it.

The first two Mechs I always suggest to new players are the Crab 27 and the Bushwacker (X1 or X2, either perform well). Crab for Lasers, Bushwacker for Ballistics. Both are quite sturdy and will perform well. And they teach some fundamentals of the game quite well, IMO.

#9 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:28 AM

Brawling can be fun but often you do more damage and are more usefull for you team with a long range build (why bringing a knife into a gun-fightPosted Image ). Depends on your playstile...

Edited by Snowhawk, 03 March 2019 - 12:30 AM.

#10 DRA282

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:23 AM

thanks for all the replies, I have looked at all the suggested builds and I will be making changes to my griffin.

Edited by DRA282, 03 March 2019 - 01:23 AM.

#11 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 03 March 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Brawling can be fun but often you do more damage and are more usefull for you team with a long range build (why bringing a knife into a gun-fightPosted Image ). Depends on your playstile...

Bringing a knife to a gunfight is not as bad as it sounds Posted Image

Edited by xe N on, 03 March 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#12 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

I started playing with a brawling griffin as well.

The XL engine is a risky gambit. It means you are much easier to kill. If you were going XL I would take a much faster engine and jump jets. You are far too slow to be this vulnerable and you have no ability to pop up and deliver your missiles without receiving return fire. Speed allows you to shift attack angles faster and get out of bad positions easier. Both increase your survivability, making up for the XL downsides.

The large pulse is not worth its weight for you. For 1dps you are sacrificing all jumpjets, heatsinks, and speed

Not enough heatsinks. You will be out of the fight far too much waiting to cool down. In brawls you'll only fire a couple volleys before shutting down.

As a griffin, you want to follow the assaults and shoot their targets. Jump jets will help you fire from behind them and I highly recommend them. Keep lights off their backs. Your mech eats lights for breakfast.

Don't listen to the brawling haters. Long range snipers are dead weight. ;)

Edited by Redshirt4Life, 03 March 2019 - 09:16 AM.

#13 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

I'd say keep the XL; since you're new to the game, running one teaches you a lot about torso-twisting and being aware of your paperdoll in general. might be hard lessons if it blows up, but they're good ones in the longer run.:)
(there's also quite a few vids online which might interest you, how to do this and that..).

if you bring that build to solaris and/or scouting, I'd suggest to try flamers instead of the lasers; at least for a few games, since those are really fun and good in both modes.

anywhoo: welcome to the game and hf. :)

#14 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 02 March 2019 - 11:28 PM, said:

For new players, I would not recommend XL engines... With a completely dead shoulder, you can fire and twist, protecting your weapons. Other than that, the Griffin was one of my first Mechs and I enjoyed it a lot. It is still the chassis that I produced my second best match ever with, something like a year ago.

If a player is really green but wants a brawling trainer mech built on a GRF-1N maybe try a standard engine based build.

300STD engine
14 DHS
2 jets
Ferro Fib
Endo
Max armor points except for -6 per leg
3X SRM4 w/ 3 tons ammo
3X medium lasers
Put absolutely nothing on the left side of the mech.

Practice dead side shielding. The resiliance gained from the STD engine will likely make up for the lower damage output payload by simple virtue of living long enough to shoot more.

Once you get the nuances of torso shielding then go for an upgraded mech with XL or LFE engines and a heavier weapon payload.

Edited by Lykaon, 03 March 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#15 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

Don't dis the grif...

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

I, too, had problems when I first piloted the Griffin (Ares in my case) and lost a lot of matches and barely did enough damage with its stock loadout. Then I switched to MPLs and Artemis SRM6's and started doing really well. Any of those builds listed above will do the trick.

As for skills, try to get 60% radar deprivation (Left side of the Sensors tree) and Survivability (don't pick AMS overload on your way to getting Armour and Skeletal density nodes but try to get Shock Absorption since you have JJ and can jump around a bit without having to worry about fall damage too much) as soon as possible. There aren't enough heat sinks to make good use of Cool Run nodes in Operations so, I would skip it but if you want, get a couple of them. I'd rather go for extra consumable slots and use double cool shots with an Artillery strike. Work on getting all the missile nodes in Firepower as they're your primary damage weapons. Get a lot of Cooldown and Heat Gen. nodes on that side and get maybe 2 or 3 Laser duration nodes. A few Range nodes will help but don't worry about them too much. Pick your moments and stay in cover.

Don't lead the front line initially and don't try to snipe at targets. Your play should involve sticking with the Assault mechs and supporting them during a brawl. Always use "Target Lock" and quickly take out the enemy mech's weak spots that show up in the paper figure on your top right.

#17 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostJyrox, on 03 March 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Don't dis the grif...

Ok you are crazy.

I'm switching my griffin to XL as well. Light engines are just too slow. You can't do this kind of stuff at 80-90km/h.

#18 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:20 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 03 March 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Ok you are crazy.

I'm switching my griffin to XL as well. Light engines are just too slow. You can't do this kind of stuff at 80-90km/h.

I hadn't seen the video in months, and I couldn't stop laughing...just, well, I just walked around the battlefield shooting randomly and got over 600 damage...can't stop laughing at the sheer nonchalance.

Edited by Jyrox, 03 March 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#19 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Actually, two mechs that can take an absolute beating:

Vulcan and Assassin

Both take extremely well to XL engines.

#20 DRA282

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:38 AM

I have made a few changes to my build after tinkering with it for a day. I changed the xl enigine to a light 300, and i changed the mpls to just standard mediums, i didnt go with artemis bc it is way too heavy for me (and its hard to miss the ct at <50 meters) i was playing some good games with my best being a 4 kill 750 damage quickmatch. My skill tree focuses mainly on missile spread reduction and more crit chance. Once again thanks for all the replies:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users