- - - - -

New Mouse

7 replies to this topic

#1 Firewall6112

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

First of all, if this is in the wrong forum, please move.

Second, sorry to ask a noob question, but for some reason, I can't let this go...

I just got a new mouse (Logitech G603) and it has no less than 5 levels of sensitivity. (Why does anyone need 5?!?!)

Dropped into MWO and my crosshairs are jumping all over the place! No offense, to anyone (except my team), but I couldn't hold it steady for squat. So I quickly pressed the variable DPI button on the mouse, and flew through the 5 levels and nothing felt "right". So I started playing with it. Then I found that there is an in-game mouse sensitivity setting as well. Sigh...

Got me to thinking, what is the best combination of DPI and mouse sensitivity to fully support aiming? I don't want it to be too slow, but if it is too fast, I have a hard time targeting. Does anyone know what is the max DPI rate that MWO will accept? I figure I should set the mouse to that and then play with the in-game sensitivity? Or, should I set the in-game sensitivity to something and then just adjust the mouse's sensitivity?

Am I overthinking this? Most likely, but I don't want to limit my aiming speed if it can match what the mech should be doing. Hope that helps explain. Thanks.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:03 AM

The default ingame settings is far too high. I run .2 with an adjustable dpi range of 800-1200 dpi.

Edited by Spheroid, 23 February 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostFirewall6112, on 23 February 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

First of all, if this is in the wrong forum, please move.

Second, sorry to ask a noob question, but for some reason, I can't let this go...

I just got a new mouse (Logitech G603) and it has no less than 5 levels of sensitivity. (Why does anyone need 5?!?!)

Dropped into MWO and my crosshairs are jumping all over the place! No offense, to anyone (except my team), but I couldn't hold it steady for squat. So I quickly pressed the variable DPI button on the mouse, and flew through the 5 levels and nothing felt "right". So I started playing with it. Then I found that there is an in-game mouse sensitivity setting as well. Sigh...

Change in game to anything below 0.5 Sensitivity in game's 1.0 setting is ideal for twitch shooter players like CoD and Crysis where all you need to do is fire in the general direction of the enemy with a machine gun or with a sniper rifle at point blank range while jumping like a monkey.

5 settings is useful because sometimes you need to just move your aim by a couple of pixels to hit that guy at 3k meters in a game like DayZ or Arma and your aim was just off by a tiny bit on the last shot due to wind or miscalculating the range. (Or in MWO and the enemy is just 500 meters away, because for some reason a faster adjustment can't hit the broad side of an Awesome.)

The opposite extreme, super fast, is really useful in MWO when you need to torso twist to spread the damage you're getting (or just to quickly get the heck out of there as turning by "F" is faster than turning by arrows [since there's no guess work and your torso's already turned away when you are trying to protect it]) and then cut the speed down to bare minimum for that precision shot.

Edited by Koniving, 23 February 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

Definitely change the in-game mouse sensitivity, with the other two settings at zero. And the Logitech software will allow you to set both the number of levels, with 5 being max for your mouse as well as the setting for each level.

#5 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

Firewall6112, did you see this thread?

https://mwomercs.com...ncoming-damage/

#6 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:26 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 23 February 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

The default ingame settings is far too high. I run .2 with an adjustable dpi range of 800-1200 dpi.

Second this, although my in-game is .1

#7 Firewall6112

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Thanks all!
@TheWarhammer, sorry for asking a repeat question. I thought I had searched for it.
(I think I've seen you in the game. /salute!)

#8 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostFirewall6112, on 25 February 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Thanks all!
@TheWarhammer, sorry for asking a repeat question. I thought I had searched for it.
(I think I've seen you in the game. /salute!)

Right back at you. o7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users