#21 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostOberst Wilhelm Klink, on 02 March 2019 - 01:46 AM, said:

You are playing since 2014 and just hit tier 1?

Several hiatus as well as only 5-10 drops per week. I do well with a handful of mechs and terrible with most.

#22 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

I had to laugh at the suggestion of "Always have a mech in front of you". That's exactly the gameplay I see on most days, where nobody is willing to take the first poke out of cover and draw the enemy fire. Everybody is waiting for someone else to do it. Which will destroy teams really quick when an organised push comes in.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

You are playing since 2012 and still are tier 2?

You are playing since 2014 and just hit tier 1?

Every potato can hit tier 1 in a few weeks, that's why matchmaking getting worse and worse.

Some of you should rethink their playstyles.

Your PSR is determined by your average match score, the fewer matches you have versus the higher your match score is, the faster you'll jump. Yes a new player can jump from tier 5 to tier 1 in a month or less (on an alt where I tested this, I made it to tier 2 in 3 weeks). However, as you hit 20k, 30k or more matches, even a number of exceptional matches on a winning streak will move you a single pixel on the level up bar for a pair of them, if even.

Also most of us that have been around that long either spend more time on the forums...or playing other, better games and frequent this forum in hopes that maybe Mechwarrior will change into someone else's hands, or PGI won't **** up MW5 like they did with MWO.

#24 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

View PostAnte Mortem, on 01 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

My Kill/Death ratio went from 1.18 to 1.0 in one year. Are my opponents getting better or am I regressing?

As far as Quick Play goes, there's a huge bump (a cliff) when you move from Tier 5/Tier 4 up to Tier 3.

Which in this case means your opponents are getting better because you are... progressing.

#25 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 02 March 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Great advice ... terribly boring playstyle and really not fun, unless winning is everything.

The OP indirectly asked why his K/D is getting lower and how he can improve it and I think I gave some constructive answeres to that. The first priority about improving your K/D is NOT DYING the second priority is sometimes kill a mech.

What I learnt around here is that people using "having fun" as the excuse their lack of skills and ability to improve/learn.
The "having fun" crowd is the first to stop playing if they constantly face a group of try-hards and are losing games within 30 seconds.
It is strange that the "having fun" crowd still secretly prefers wining over losing.
I want to see you "having fun" if you know that due to YOUR personal choices you will lose the next 1000 games in a row.

So if my rules are "terribly boring playstyle and really not fun, unless winning is everything" then you prefer to:
  • yolo into the enemy team to die within the first 60 sec
  • kill a badly damaged mech waiting around a corner just to be killed instantly afterwards by his friends
  • always be the first to peek around a corner and also never have somebody support you.
  • run around alone on the map especially in assault and then dying quickly when a light catches you
  • play mechs with nonsense mixed builds with low alphas that have no synergy
  • use staring weapons that prevent you from torso twisting
  • don't torso twist at all because its just for focking try-hards to feel better for themselves. Also get melted with two alphas from enemy mechs.

#26 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

I feel yoloing into the enemy and dying first to be the most boring and least fun playstyle.
The most fun is making an impact all game and carrying the W when you are the last mech standing.

#27 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostAnte Mortem, on 01 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

My Kill/Death ration went from 1.18 to 1.0 in one year. Are my opponents getting better or amI regressing?

View PostAnte Mortem, on 02 March 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

- Thanks for your sound advice antares...Your stats speak for themselves.
- My former pilot name were Karbon, karcajou. The jarl’s list only goes back to 2016, Keep in mind that I srtarted in 2012.
- Indeed, being in tier2 may result in facing more experienced and skilled players.
- The former skill system favored ppl like me who owed 3 Variants or more.
- Finally, although not in any stats lists, the lights are way much more powerful that when I started, now when I get killed, it is by a light; (75%) of the time
Yes, you are regressing.
Most likely it has to do with you playing the game too irregularly to stay sharp. While your rank does vary wildly, that also has to do with your irregular participation - the fewer matches you play, the more impact will a streak of consecutive wins or losses have on your ranking.
Antares is on the mark - your mech is an asset, you want to keep it combat-effective and contributing to the fight as long as possible.

#28 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

You hit your skill ceiling. I did too at tier 2. I would stay in tier 2 except for all these events. Unfortunately to meet the MC requirements, I have to play well, which means my tier bar keeps ticking up. For a while where I kept buying and grinding new mechs it was stable, but is well past half way now.

No way do I belong in tier 1, but it's happening. I am going to be that potato. Which means I'll either stop playing because I feel bad, or stop playing because I am trying to play meta and get bored.

#29 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 03 March 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

You hit your skill ceiling. I did too at tier 2. I would stay in tier 2 except for all these events. Unfortunately to meet the MC requirements, I have to play well, which means my tier bar keeps ticking up. For a while where I kept buying and grinding new mechs it was stable, but is well past half way now.

No way do I belong in tier 1, but it's happening. I am going to be that potato. Which means I'll either stop playing because I feel bad, or stop playing because I am trying to play meta and get bored.

Don't worry, even at Tier 1, you can play the goofiest crappiest mechs and still not drop in tier...like lose consistently for weeks and not drop more than a pixel. In fact you can play the worst mechs with the dumbest builds and still be at a 1 kdr or even better. There are just as many of us bads up here as their are down in the underhive, so it really makes no difference what you play or bring (unless you are doing CW or have aspirations of playing competitively) so keep having fun with it.

#30 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 02 March 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

I had to laugh at the suggestion of "Always have a mech in front of you". That's exactly the gameplay I see on most days, where nobody is willing to take the first poke out of cover and draw the enemy fire. Everybody is waiting for someone else to do it. Which will destroy teams really quick when an organised push comes in.

And then when you're the idiot that does go round the corner first every dipshit on your team ends up shooting you in the back anyway.

#31 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

So far I haven't killed anyone, and I'm not dead...enlarged heart and cardiologist may say otherwise, but...erk....

Just kidding, not dead...yet.

In the meantime, have a song about toot-sweets and why asking about K/D ratios is not healthy...

(Long live House Liao)

EDIT:

This video was given to you by a race that gave you penicillen, televisons and phones...

Sorry about that!

Edited by Jyrox, 03 March 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#32 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

View PostJyrox, on 03 March 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

This video was given to you by a race that gave you penicillen, televisons and phones...

Ok, I'm really tired, so maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I feel like I ain't. I need clarification on whats going on here.

#33 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

View PostBombast, on 03 March 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

Ok, I'm really tired, so maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I feel like I ain't. I need clarification on whats going on here.

Does this help?

#34 Cazador88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

My kd usually goes up during fp events, probably not because theres no ******** chicken run around headlessly contests during those events ;)

#35 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

Well, it's easy enough to game your k/d ratio up to a higher number. Some of the guys in the top 0.1% on the leaderboard do precisely that.

But don't. Because the things you'd need to do - kill stealing, meat shielding, hiding til near the end of matches, running away from a loss, etc - would mark you as a bad person.

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:06 AM

View PostJyrox, on 03 March 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Does this help?

Good God I loved that program. I think my favourite skit was the Indian "Christmas" where they just endlessly regifted the same present. Oh man, thanks for reminding me of that!

OP just go down aux tree and get double arty, pushed my k/d right up.

#37 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:12 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 02 March 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Great advice ... terribly boring playstyle and really not fun, unless winning is everything.

... wait... it isnt?

#38 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:50 AM

I put almost no stock in KDR. Any monkey can hide in the back and snipe cherry red CTs. KMDD and match survival rate are the most meaningful stats, but no leaderboard bothers to track KMDD(if it's even possible to do so).

#39 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Some of you should rethink their playstyles.

You omitted some context, btw.

Why not show my whole sheet on the Jarls list?

Feb i sit at W/L of 1.41 and KDR 1.69

Thats AFTER a crappy Jan/Dec that i spent getting back into MWO after almost a year.

As far as 'rethinking' my playstyle, i can pull up mechs with over 100 drop with positive W/L and positive KDR.

And i can pull up the majority of my mechs with few drops and below 1.0 W/L and KDR

My better robots:
SLEIPNIR 65 41 24 1.71 91 38 2.39 31,518 126,395 CICADA CDA-2B 143 73 69 1.06 164 77 2.13 47,957 230,339 THE X-5 251 131 114 1.15 249 140 1.78 91,887 334,259 KIT FOX KFX-PRIME 379 208 167 1.25 245 209 1.17 88,667 360,335 STALKER STK-4N 150 78 70 1.11 127 90 1.41 63,309 171,908
WARHAWK WHK-C 203 107 89 1.20 147 123 1.20 76,855 221,106

Most of my robots look like this: MARAUDER IIC MAD-IIC-A 19 8 11 0.73 4 14 0.29 5,249 17,825

So what should i do for my playstyle?

Well, couple things you should know.

If i feel my team is gonna derp it out at Camp Mechswell, i YOLO to try to get others to follow/get 1 kill/kmmd. These matches are usually stomp losses and if i get a kill i usually contributed to @25% of the kills.

I prefer quicker mechs. But have the balls to Anni/Dire in Solo accepting NASCARS as a possibility. Quadlb10 Slapnir has been good to me. My Light-Fu is rusty.

I look at the mimap every ~3 seconds for positioning. I use the Command Wheel, for whatever that is worth.

Biggest of all, call me Casual, call me Mechdad, but i cannot allocate more time for practice because i manage a commercial gym, am rebuilding the PT Program, am building cross-promotion with local businesses.

If you have a way for me to get a better W/L WITHOUT calling targets/drops in Solo(i boss people around at work , i dont wanna do it for fun), and without more practice time, im all ears.

#40 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 04 March 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

I put almost no stock in KDR. Any monkey can hide in the back and snipe cherry red CTs. KMDD and match survival rate are the most meaningful stats, but no leaderboard bothers to track KMDD(if it's even possible to do so).

FW leaderboards track that.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users