Odd Design Choices

10 replies to this topic

#1 SomeWeirdAssGuy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

I recently bought a Huntsman that I'm leveling up, and I got him fitted with 2xATM9 and 2xHeavy Small Lasers in each arm. I find the laser placement in the arms very odd and I can't fathom why it was thought that this should be the way the lasers are mounted in them.

Why this?

Posted Image

And not this?

Posted Image

#2 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

PGI seems to love assymmetry as this happens in many other mechs too

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

just to screw with people with ocd

#4 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

I'm sure there's some weird reason for it. That or they just don't have anyone QCing this kind of thing. : /

#5 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

Be glad it isn't what happen to the catapults. Pgi's great game design choices in action. Google cataputls vcrs and mwo for that bit of fun.

#6 SomeWeirdAssGuy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

I mean, the reason I find it odd id that the right arm has a laser IN the arm where you'd expect it, and then someone decided "hey let's put those other lasers ON THE OUTSIDE". Erm wut? I also have an arctic wolf with 4 energy hardpoints and it doesn't suffer from this problem, thankfully. It seems just so arbitrary.

View PostJediPanther, on 06 March 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

Be glad it isn't what happen to the catapults. Pgi's great game design choices in action. Google cataputls vcrs and mwo for that bit of fun.

OMG that is so bad Posted Image

Edited by SomeWeirdAssGuy, 06 March 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#7 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Because PGI

#8 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Yes, it is odd. It's hard to plan for every single possible weapons combination, but let me break down what is going on here.

First, on the left arm, you've got a prime omnipod, which has a 1M hardpoint as well. The system isn't set up to move weapons around when others are not present (so it's not possible for this loadout to match your suggestion). This means the space used up by the missiles is exclusive, and can't be used by other things, ever. so we have lasers on the side which matches both the original art, and the mwo concept art.

On the right, you've got a B omnipod, with 3E, but only 2 equipped. if you place a 3rd on, it'll go under the second outer laser.
I really wrestled with whether to have the second go underneath the first (like it does on the pakhet hero pod which only has 2E)
if you only equip 2 of the 3, this seems more ideal. However, adding a 3rd laser would still leave you with that extra one hanging off the side, and I felt that I'd rather keep the default armament looking more like the prime's in the concept art, with a single main weapon in line, and the 2 smaller weapons off to the side.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 06 March 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes, it is odd. It's hard to plan for every single possible weapons combination, but let me break down what is going on here.

First, on the left arm, you've got a prime omnipod, which has a 1M hardpoint as well. The system isn't set up to move weapons around when others are not present (so it's not possible for this loadout to match your suggestion). This means the space used up by the missiles is exclusive, and can't be used by other things, ever. so we have lasers on the side which matches both the original art, and the mwo concept art.

On the right, you've got a B omnipod, with 3E, but only 2 equipped. if you place a 3rd on, it'll go under the second outer laser.
I really wrestled with whether to have the second go underneath the first (like it does on the pakhet hero pod which only has 2E)
if you only equip 2 of the 3, this seems more ideal. However, adding a 3rd laser would still leave you with that extra one hanging off the side, and I felt that I'd rather keep the default armament looking more like the prime's in the concept art, with a single main weapon in line, and the 2 smaller weapons off to the side.

Thanks Mark to taking the time to explain these kinds of phenomena.

For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with weapons being asymmetrical. It makes them look more realistic, given omniMechs are effectively modular in design.

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

The system isn't set up to move weapons around when others are not present (so it's not possible for this loadout to match your suggestion).

That's a shame. Thanks for the great explanation though, always something I wondered about.

#11 SomeWeirdAssGuy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:55 AM

Thank you, I actually understand now that it's because hardpoints are fixed and can't be moved around. I just bought the HMN-Prime Right Arm to make both sides the same and calm my OCD. I appreciate that you took some time to explain this.

Edited by SomeWeirdAssGuy, 07 March 2019 - 02:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users