#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:01 AM

View PostLionheart2012, on 12 March 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

Build the core game, then look into additional DLC. Core game is missions. If you want to explore a world, play Mass Effect or Kingdom Come.

Missions come from somewhere.

In MW1: 40% of missions came from "hearsay" at a bar, as did about 75% of the game's story.
It was also where you did recruiting for new pilots.

I don't expect to explore a world, but when I see a clip showing 2 pilots (the player, and what appears to be ANOTHER PLAYER) in a four second clip of the player leaving the dropship on foot in a very, very small port that immediately leads to a narrow walkway which ultimately ends up at what looks like a structure in a port with the word: "BAR"...in an MW5 gameplay clip...
I'd expect to be able to go to it, given that a late 2017 / early 2018 video had it among the many very short 'clips'.

MW5 Mercs, as Russ said, has a "lot" of influence from MW1 in particular.

In MW1, you had a story as a merc out for revenge (check), you build up a merc unit from shambles with just one mech (check), you get your information from bars on various planets (???) which give you leads to planets where you can find key missions as well as introduce you to small ways to get money since you're in the neighborhood (????), you can build up your unit and hire mercs (check), modify your mech with your limited supplies (check), and aside from story snippets the rest of the game is combat.

In MW5: You have a story as a merc out for revenge. You build up a merc unit from shambles with just one mech. Who the heck knows where you're getting information from... Somehow you do missions to get small amounts of money while who knows how you find the story missions (guess we're getting emails).. You can build up your merc unit...somehow (maybe we're posting help wanted ads on tinder). Modify your mech with limited supplies and options... And aside from story snippets (if any), the rest of the game is combat.

Edited by Koniving, 13 March 2019 - 03:16 AM.

#22 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

From a personal standpoint, I've got zero interest in walking around as a person to do interactions. This is a Merc company/stompmrobot sim. I find hub systems that essentially turn a menu into a walking simulator an annoying timewaste. The way Anthem has done it causing a lot of grief.

My preference is to manage my Merc unit and missions through a interface of some sort rather than an arbitrary walking simulator. A limited "captains cabin" with essentially menu items represented as computer terminals or something would work fine for me. Then they can concentrate on more useful content.

#23 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 10 March 2019 - 02:29 AM, said:

So, AMA has already descended into "We will only answer (i.e. already prepared a statement) about the things we choose to." mode. We have decided what is best and good luck, we may have covered something you want, but tough, otherwise.

Already off on the usual PGI line of none interaction with the intended customer base Posted Image

Never seen that happen before!

They only have a handful of staff on the AMA, so the topics are picked so they can have someone that has been working closely on the topic there to answer questions--rather than relying on Russ to know the answer to every question in detail about every topic possible. Russ hasn't been dodging questions all that much. Mostly just things like "we'll save that one for the <insert specific topic> AMA"--probably because someone working on it is better suited to answer than the people on the AMA that day.

#24 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

Can we please have these sessions on WEEKENDS? Either I am working or I cannot return from work in time for either session.

#25 Lionheart2012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 March 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

Missions come from somewhere.

In MW1: 40% of missions came from "hearsay" at a bar, as did about 75% of the game's story.
It was also where you did recruiting for new pilots.

I don't expect to explore a world, but when I see a clip showing 2 pilots (the player, and what appears to be ANOTHER PLAYER) in a four second clip of the player leaving the dropship on foot in a very, very small port that immediately leads to a narrow walkway which ultimately ends up at what looks like a structure in a port with the word: "BAR"...in an MW5 gameplay clip...
I'd expect to be able to go to it, given that a late 2017 / early 2018 video had it among the many very short 'clips'.

MW5 Mercs, as Russ said, has a "lot" of influence from MW1 in particular.

In MW1, you had a story as a merc out for revenge (check), you build up a merc unit from shambles with just one mech (check), you get your information from bars on various planets (???) which give you leads to planets where you can find key missions as well as introduce you to small ways to get money since you're in the neighborhood (????), you can build up your unit and hire mercs (check), modify your mech with your limited supplies (check), and aside from story snippets the rest of the game is combat.

In MW5: You have a story as a merc out for revenge. You build up a merc unit from shambles with just one mech. Who the heck knows where you're getting information from... Somehow you do missions to get small amounts of money while who knows how you find the story missions (guess we're getting emails).. You can build up your merc unit...somehow (maybe we're posting help wanted ads on tinder). Modify your mech with limited supplies and options... And aside from story snippets (if any), the rest of the game is combat.

Let's see... not in the 2016 MechCon announcement; not in the 2017 MechCon Teaser; not in the IGN Mechbay walkabout. Definitely not in anything from MechCon 2018. You may have to point out this video clip with a link.

But in any case, that it may have been seen in a clip from late 2017/early 2018 does not make it promised content, nor does reading the tea leaves about what Russ said about MW1 influences.

Just because you may have seen a door that had a "BAR" sign above it, does not mean you may go through it. Just like you will not likely be able to go to the cockpit of the drop ship and fly it, or to your locker and open it, or to your bunk with a fellow mech pilot for other simulated activities. (Chess anyone???)

Let's be realistic: where MW1 could use pictures and text, MW5 would be expected to create an entire environment with modeled characters and sound. This small bit of added functionality, which can otherwise be achieved more cheaply in the mission selection screen in the mechbay, would likely have a negative ROI if it were fully modeled. Sorry, no MW5 equivalent to the Star Wars bar scene is likely to come, at least not in the initial release.

#26 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 13 March 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Can we please have these sessions on WEEKENDS? Either I am working or I cannot return from work in time for either session.

PGI's weekends are sacrosanct. You should know this by now.

#27 Anti10188

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:20 AM

Wow, jast soo you have some thing here, good job pgi/pirania.
with all this changes in game, and discords chat, good job!!

did i did that? (aka force you to work)
i was not in game or forums for a while, but seeng all this changes in small ammout of days.
i have alot more to tell you, from a gamer perspective, not mech fun, not universe fun.
jast a gamer, usual, like a persone you want to get in your games to expand a fun base.
please contact me pgi/pirania, but not to this account email. you have my work email.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users