What Incentive For Remaining Mechpacks?

27 replies to this topic

#1 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

I am torn as I really like the rifleman IIC and Dervish, but I have no motivation to preorder, hell, even buy them. I can’t foresee the amount of remaining players when the Dervish releases in the summer as solo queue is plagued by the tier system, faction play remains a ghost town, and mechwarrior 5 is coming in the near future (though not an apples to apples game comparison).

What reason is there to get new mechs for a game that has no new maps in the pipeline, no new features/modes/tech updates, and remains in a system from a decade ago? I enjoy the game occasionally but it’s going the way of the dodo - I rarely see any unit members on anymore let alone from my own unit - and nothing is being done to increase the player base. Hell, the only way I learned of this game was from the PC Battletech game.

TL;DR
Mech packs still remain:

1.) expensive for what you get - opinion based, but the current market opinion is “hahahahaha, why would you buy mechs for this game?” I have a large disposable income, but don’t want to pay a full game price for 1 mech chassis + variants

2.) released in a non timely manner - why should I buy a mech at a full AAA title game price that won’t be out for another 3 months, and how will I even know if anyone will still be active?

3.) pre-order bonuses are inadequate for interest -
6.5 mil c-bills? That’ll maybe buy one of your variants a new engine and endo, but not enough for DHS and new weapons outfit.
Variants of the same three colors (green, blue, purple/pink), you don’t even get to choose.
One camo pattern that isn’t player chosen either.
No GXP, have fun grinding for weeks if you keep playing the same mech over and over to bring it up to speed

I’d like to get new mechs in advance and support the IP, but the game feels like Late Rome just waiting to collapse.

#2 DjStickyMouse

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

View Postlobsterhierarchy, on 25 March 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

I am torn as I really like the rifleman IIC and Dervish, but I have no motivation to preorder, hell, even buy them. I can’t foresee the amount of remaining players when the Dervish releases in the summer as solo queue is plagued by the tier system, faction play remains a ghost town, and mechwarrior 5 is coming in the near future (though not an apples to apples game comparison).

What reason is there to get new mechs for a game that has no new maps in the pipeline, no new features/modes/tech updates, and remains in a system from a decade ago? I enjoy the game occasionally but it’s going the way of the dodo - I rarely see any unit members on anymore let alone from my own unit - and nothing is being done to increase the player base. Hell, the only way I learned of this game was from the PC Battletech game.

TL;DR
Mech packs still remain:

1.) expensive for what you get - opinion based, but the current market opinion is “hahahahaha, why would you buy mechs for this game?” I have a large disposable income, but don’t want to pay a full game price for 1 mech chassis + variants

2.) released in a non timely manner - why should I buy a mech at a full AAA title game price that won’t be out for another 3 months, and how will I even know if anyone will still be active?

3.) pre-order bonuses are inadequate for interest -
6.5 mil c-bills? That’ll maybe buy one of your variants a new engine and endo, but not enough for DHS and new weapons outfit.
Variants of the same three colors (green, blue, purple/pink), you don’t even get to choose.
One camo pattern that isn’t player chosen either.
No GXP, have fun grinding for weeks if you keep playing the same mech over and over to bring it up to speed

I’d like to get new mechs in advance and support the IP, but the game feels like Late Rome just waiting to collapse.

I think this game will be around for a long long time to come. Even with MW5 coming out soon. its free to play and extremely well done for a free to play.

everybody who complains and says other options are better.... those other options are all dead games now... yet mwo still persist... people who leave always come back

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

There's no reason to get the mech with real money unless you really want them at the earliest. MC you can just stock up by doing events. Eventually all mechs become available for c-bills. One of the fastest ways to get c-bills stockpiled is not to use consumables since they cost 40,000 each time.

I want the just announced cptl-c2 but I'm not going to do pgi's bribe of having to pre-order mw5 for it. They list the c-bill non c-bill boosted mech in december. That's a whole nine months of potential play time to get the c-bills. Out of the eight cptls that mech will make the cptl count up to I already have the A1,C1,C4,K2,Jester and BB. The reason why I lack the A1(c) is because it is just an exact copy of the A1 which I have minus the bonus. 7 of 8 catapults total come december.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

If you can get 20 bucks worth of fun out of the pack than its worth buying. A movie ticket, soda and popcorn is about 20 bucks in my area.

As for the game shutting down it should last another 2 years at the rate we're going. Unless something happens like MS pulls the license.

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

If you feel like you won't play it after a month don't get it via $.

Best bet is Rifleman IIC; it's got more consistent hardpoint placement. Guarantee you the Dervish will have wonky weapon geometry that you generally won't enjoy.

Basically, the Dervish is just a smaller kintaro, keep that in mind.

#6 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Nostalgia fuel is likely the main driver of mechpack purchases this late in the game. Otherwise, perhaps the rare occurrence of a 'Mech that actually does something new... but most things that would be "something new" at this point are really just optimizations rather than innovations (like the RFL-IIC-2 running 6xAC2 spam on all high mounts, whereas the NTG can't carry all its guns on high mounts when it runs 6x2). It would take something really, really big and/or different to land another instant megahit pack.

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 25 March 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

really big and/or different to land another instant megahit pack.

IS Omni's, Quads, Tanks, Battle Armour.

There's still options out there, beyond IS Omni's and maybe Tanks I can't see any of it being done though.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostDjStickyMouse, on 25 March 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

I think this game will be around for a long long time to come. Even with MW5 coming out soon. its free to play and extremely well done for a free to play.

everybody who complains and says other options are better.... those other options are all dead games now... yet mwo still persist... people who leave always come back

The amount of drugs that one has to do to kill the brain cells required to come to this conclusion.
A good shell was set in place, the player base did the rest.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 25 March 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#9 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 25 March 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

The amount of drugs that one has to do to kill the brain cells required to come to this conclusion.
A good shell was set in place, the player base did the rest.

Dont do drugs kids.

#10 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

I don't buy Mech bundles at this point, but it is due to lack of new map development, not population concerns. My guess is that the game will get a shot in the arm when MW5 comes out, over time. You've got to think that the players who come for that game will have some interest in MW: O.

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 March 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

IS Omni's, Quads, Tanks, Battle Armour.

There's still options out there, beyond IS Omni's and maybe Tanks I can't see any of it being done though.

IS omnis will never be in this game. ever. and they will never do other stuff either because they mucked up the code according to them.

There won't be anything else. Face it.
Because you know why? MW5 is coming, and word is on the block is that PVP will be more than likely possible. MWO will drop off quite a bit presumably when the mod finally goes through. PGI doesn't have any desire to add much to MWO at this point.

Edited by Scout Derek, 25 March 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostFelbombling, on 25 March 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

My guess is that the game will get a shot in the arm when MW5 comes out, over time. You've got to think that the players who come for that game will have some interest in MW: O.

Lots of folks said the same thing about HBS's Battletech, and yet the increase in MWO population was a blip that lasted about a month, and now the numbers are once again dropping and at all time lows. If MW5 has the modding potential that is as extensive as is being reported, I suspect that most of the folks we lose to MW5 won't return once community created content starts flowing. Thus, I think not only will we not see an increase but we will in fact see an even greater drop than reflected by the average loss rate of the last 2 years.

#13 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostFelbombling, on 25 March 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

I don't buy Mech bundles at this point, but it is due to lack of new map development, not population concerns. My guess is that the game will get a shot in the arm when MW5 comes out, over time. You've got to think that the players who come for that game will have some interest in MW: O.

They might have an interest in mwo after mw5 but they will be very disappointed by all the things mwo lacks due to the limits of mwo that can never be done that might be/are in mw5. Knock downs and IK being the foremost things I can name. I almost feel bad for those coming from mw5 to mwo for the fist time once the "new-ness" of mwo wears off.

Horrible npe, next to no documentation in-game on vast amounts of things like building a mech, trial trash mechs,playing casually with a group of friends in fw only getting wiped then rage quitting etc.

#14 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 25 March 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

If you can get 20 bucks worth of fun out of the pack than its worth buying. A movie ticket, soda and popcorn is about 20 bucks in my area.

This is kind of how I look at it. $20 doesn't buy much entertainment anymore, a night at the movies more or less just like you mentioned. That is about 3 hours worth of entertainment. A Mech Pack on the other hand is going probably get me at least 10-15 hours even if I don't play them much past the challenge events that go along with them so at the end of the day, it is still very cheap entertainment.

As for any other reason to buy them, well if you are short of C-bills, they are a steal since you would probably be spending $13 on 30 days of premium anyway. Also if your relatively new then they are a really good way of building your stable quickly. Aside from that, no, not much of a reason unless you just really love the mech.

#15 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

NONE.

#16 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

The Rifleman IIC standard pack is a pretty solid choice if you are still torn about choices. The standard variant will be slow even with speed tweak (63 kmph max), but the RFL-IIC 2 will be a good all around mech since it's not hindered by a low engine cap. The other pack I would recommend would be the reinforcements since the RFL-IIC A seems like a decent mech. I can't vouch for the Dervish since it's another IS medium that doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table from what I can tell.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

after my preorder for mw5 i think im done giving pgi money.

when you have a lot of mechs the value of having more goes down significantly.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 March 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:53 AM

Personally, I'm torn myself, over weather or not to preorder MW5..

I was originally gonna do that.. but then PGI kinda let me down with this latest patch, Warhammer IIC bugs and the Blood Asp fiasko.. so now I'm torn.. to invest my trust and money in them, or not?

All the things I saw in videos of MW5 so far seem enticing.. but they have delivered sub-par products before..

And it is a considerable amount of money for me..

So I'm just torn..

What do you guys think, should I preorder?

#19 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 26 March 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

Personally, I'm torn myself, over weather or not to preorder MW5..

I was originally gonna do that.. but then PGI kinda let me down with this latest patch, Warhammer IIC bugs and the Blood Asp fiasko.. so now I'm torn.. to invest my trust and money in them, or not?

All the things I saw in videos of MW5 so far seem enticing.. but they have delivered sub-par products before..

And it is a considerable amount of money for me..

So I'm just torn..

What do you guys think, should I preorder?

Its gonna be a game where you'll be able to lrm pve to your hearts content while feeling like a god of the battlefield without any of those "toxic players" (anyone who disagrees with you or shoots DF at you)

This game is practically being made for people like you

#20 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:36 AM

How many AAA games are bought and only played for 1 week-1 month?

That said, I would like to see some sort of rough roadmap for MWO beyond the MW5 release, commitment to client upgrades and improvements, etc...

Also if pgi thinks it through, they'll find ways to funnel new MW5 players into MWO

Edited by Dionnsai, 26 March 2019 - 06:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users