Pgi Please Give Us An Arc Toggle For Lrms

59 replies to this topic

#1 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:11 AM

So by now I think everyone who actually uses Lurms has realized that the new targeting system is more than a bit unpredictable. Perhaps completely broken is a better description. I've personally stopped using all my mechs with LRMs, because the arc changes have ruined good close-in playstyle and I refuse to sit at the back and just IDF.

Posted Image This could be easily fixed with a simple arc toggle key! We already have one to give us control over the LRM doors on mechs with doors; so why not one for the mode of firing?

Either we scrap the current system and let people alternate between IDF arc / penalties and DF arc with those bonuses, or we have three points on the toggle and it keeps the current automatic system as a third option.

I believe this would accomplish what PGI wanted with the new system and be a relatively simple bug fix. What do you guys think?

#2 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

Hahahahahahahaahahah, no

It’s like asking for Toyota to produce all their Camry with manual transmission cause of your driving habits when most of the :90+; % population could not handle something more complex then auto.

Who knows if there is a toggle people will think it’s a bug if they can’t find it

#3 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:07 AM

The new LRM system is not unpredictable if you are paying attention. It becomes a matter of holding your fire as the target moves out of line-of-sight (LOS) and accounting for the arc.

In way, the toggle already exists. After you lock your target, pilot your Mech out of LOS and fire, then pilot back and retain lock. Easy when using the Target Decay nodes.

#4 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

No.

But that override toggle, oh boy do we need that one.

#5 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:32 AM

An option to select IDF (high arc) or Auto (current auto-switching set up) would probably work, and if it defaults to Auto, won't make things worse for newbies. Not sure how hard it would be to add, but as the current set up works *most* of the time, it probably wouldn't be a priority for them to change.

View PostGagis, on 05 April 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

No.

But that override toggle, oh boy do we need that one.

There is an override toggle. "o".

If you mean an automatic override option, very good, but not really relevant to the conversation.

#6 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

I'd like a toggle. I think I'd set it to direct arc and leave it there for most situations.

#7 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

I would not mind a bombardment mode/AoE mechanic for LRMs.

Mechanic would work like this:
  • Lance or Drop commander can mark the map with a Bombardment Marker (BM) that would last for 60 seconds or so.
  • Your team will see BM on their HUD. LRMs will be able to lock onto the BM as if it were a Mech in indirect fire mode (longer lock time for longer distance to the BM as if it is calculating the firing solution)
  • LRMs fired onto the BM will have an increased spread. So they arc up then fall down and saturate the designated area unless they hit something along the way.
Pros:
  • encourages Lance and Drop commands, and possibly better game play
  • gives a very weak counter to hill-humping laser-vomit, as you can call BMs on their side of the hill. Commanders working together could have 2 or 3 markers down next to each other and cover a larger area or overlap an small area.
  • gives a weak area denial effect as enemy team may decide to retreat out of the BM area.
Cons:
  • Difficult to use well. Not every match will have a situation where this mechanic would be useful.
  • Lag.
  • Waste of ammo. Could dump 60 LRMs on a BM and only get a few hits. Or none if the BM is misplaced.
  • Unusable on a few maps. Solaris and Crimson come to mind.
  • Waste of time for small quantity of LRMs. A single LRM5 would almost never hit anything.

#8 death390

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

i would love a 3 stage toggle for LRMs, the new DF arc is honestly bad in many cases where there is any kind of low cover (smal rocks on canyon, tourmaline ridges, ridges in general, buildings in general) if you shoot at a mech that is peaking and returning to low cover it nullifies 80% of the DF LRMs because of the arc. you used to be able to punish people who played the peaking game with LRMs now its almost usless. a 3 stage toggle (Auto-DF-IDF-Auto) would allow those who are actively trying to use these horrible weapons to get something out of them. i had to basically stop playing my Mad Dog because LRMs were so bad that even when i did get good locks the DF arc screwed it up. i had to switch to ATMs to do anything and that completely nullified the fire support i was trying to do for a more brawl focused style.

hell give me a long tom to put on a mech and fire it like the SPG in WoT at this point, i honestly dislike the hur-dur i'm in your face lets see who has more damage output gameplay. to me there is no technique involved in that but fire your alpha and twist or have so low cooldowns you just facetime it. at least with my Shadowcat i can play the flanking/sniper style or i would have dropped the game completely.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

View PostRobinson Crusher, on 05 April 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

Posted Image This could be easily fixed with a simple arc toggle key! We already have one to give us control over the LRM doors on mechs with doors; so why not one for the mode of firing?

LBX and Clan "Autocannons"
Could also be fixed with a simple Ammo type toggle key!

Lack of autocannon munition options could also-also be fixed with a simple Ammo type toggle key!

LRMs which feature elements of standard LRMs, Semi-Guided LRMs and NARC-compatible LRMs into one package.
This could also-also-also be solved with a simple ammo type toggle key!

SRMs don't track **** and act like Dead-Fire SRMs!
We could solve this and have proper SRMs that track targets (without/with minimal lock on), NARC-compatible SRMs (the CORE THING THAT THE KENTARO CARRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!) and Dead-Fire SRMs (3 damage instead of 2, no target tracking capabilities)...
with an alternate ammo type toggle key.

Could also fix arm shields not arm-shielding with a bring shield forward toggle key.

But....
We don't have these.
And while it sounds really damn simple... we still don't have them after all the research PGI put into fixing LBX to toggle ammo...they couldn't figure out how to do it.
So I don't think they're gonna figure this one out.
:(

Also could fix low-slung arms with a "RAISE those arms" toggle key....
<.<

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

I've personally stopped using all my mechs with LRMs

You say that like it isn't an improvement.

#11 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:04 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 05 April 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

You say that like it isn't an improvement.

It's not. My best win loss ratio in mechs with over 50 games is my orion 2c at 2.6 wins per loss. Loadout is 2xlrm20, lbx 20, 2 spl...

Combination DF IDF mechs are what best suit my playstyle, and while I enjoy stretching myself with playstyles I'm not good at (too much actually since I'm currently only half way through tier 2) this is the type of mech I like the most.

#12 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:08 AM

I honestly would like that, then all the time my LRMs would be at the lower arc. They could just separate it between Low-SMART-HIGH, with smart being the default, adaptive mode.

Buuut, PGI can't even code ammo-switching.

#13 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 April 2019 - 02:08 AM, said:

I honestly would like that, then all the time my LRMs would be at the lower arc. They could just separate it between Low-SMART-HIGH, with smart being the default, adaptive mode.

Buuut, PGI can't even code ammo-switching.

This isn't an engineering problem. PGI can code a button that activates or modifies a piece of equipment. They've done it several times already.

We've already got ECM, AMS, MASC, jump jets, stealth armor, weapon doors, and 4 different consumables that require their own function keys. Do we really need one more mech or loadout-specific function that all of 4 people will bother to use? The keybind page is long enough as is.

#14 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 06 April 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

This isn't an engineering problem. PGI can code a button that activates or modifies a piece of equipment. They've done it several times already.

We've already got ECM, AMS, MASC, jump jets, stealth armor, weapon doors, and 4 different consumables that require their own function keys. Do we really need one more mech or loadout-specific function that all of 4 people will bother to use? The keybind page is long enough as is.

Count me in

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

I'd use it too, if we would actually get one... but I know we won't.

#16 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

Just fix AMS amazing ability to shoot thru solid matter.

#17 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

I agree. We should get a toggle. But I doubt they'll devote a programmer to reworking it just after reworking the whole thing. See you in like 3 years.

#18 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 April 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

I agree. We should get a toggle. But I doubt they'll devote a programmer to reworking it just after reworking the whole thing. See you in like 3 years.

Hey, have a little faith. We all know that the play-test sessions are too small of a population, and that perhaps some of those may have been motivated by a desire to keep lurms ineffective. The release version can get tweaked, because they probably consider the general population's reaction to it as the final play-test.

If we ask nicely, they may consider it small enough to include as a tweak. Besides, everybody likes being in control with the option of letting the computer do the work. Posted Image

#19 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:47 AM

So by now I think everyone who actually uses Lurms has realized that the new targeting system is more than a bit unpredictable. Perhaps completely broken is a better description. I've personally stopped using all my mechs with LRMs, because the arc changes have ruined good close-in playstyle and I refuse to sit at the back and just IDF.

Either we scrap the current system and let people alternate between IDF arc / penalties and DF arc with those bonuses, or we have three points on the toggle and it keeps the current automatic system as a third option.

I believe this would accomplish what PGI wanted with the new system and be a relatively simple bug fix. What do you guys think?

Out of all the changes that came with the LRM changes patch, the Arc change is THE ONE THING that was any good..

Personally, I don't mind it at all, even find it useful at times..

I do still mostly play IDF, but sometimes that DF arc comes in handy..

Now if I could just lock properly in IDF and Lurm-bend... that would be nice..

#20 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:56 AM

can we call it the "leeching" toggle then? with a big fat red warning (like when overriding) "dont leech, scrub" ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users