Hardpoints In Mwo

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

Now... that might be shameful for someone playing since 9/17... but: are some of the Mechs in MWO just totally different than the ... "real" version?
f.e. the WHM-6D has one additional energy-hardpoint in the center and 2 per arm.... the WHM-6R can mount UACs or Gauss in the STs....
Would this be doable in battletech? (At least with some highly qualified Techs...?)

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostBersigil, on 05 April 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Now... that might be shameful for someone playing since 9/17... but: are some of the Mechs in MWO just totally different than the ... "real" version?
f.e. the WHM-6D has one additional energy-hardpoint in the center and 2 per arm.... the WHM-6R can mount UACs or Gauss in the STs....
Would this be doable in battletech? (At least with some highly qualified Techs...?)

As a field refit? No
Using a Mech Bay to be found on most DropShips or core planets with adequate manufacturing centers? Yes

However some stuff like heatsink, engine and structure swapping alowing the 6R to mount those guns - only in a Mech Factory (virtually creating a complete new Mech.

As you see the real question is the quality of our MechFactory because obvious every one of us is a duke with a private MechFactory at his hand.

More serious the issue is not Hardpoint size but an unrestricted Mechlab - its ironical that the OmniMechs behave more like BM should (think of your self a 6R as Omni - might only free 23tons for weapons with 18 fixed single heat sinks. This would allow you to add two UAC5s or a single Gauss but thats it.

So HPs are only for the look and feel. (2 PPCs in location of two small laser looks bad)

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Yay! A post that belongs in here!

The short answer is anything is possible in Battletech.
For example I have a plan later to show building this absolutely stupid thing...
Posted Image
Just don't expect this 16.7 meter tall, 9.5 ton monstrosity to actually be 9.5 tons in BT; to pull it off I need to be about 75 tons.

But, since you mentioned techs you're not thinking of the "make your mech" rules but the "customization rules" which the closest thing we've seen recently is in HBS Battletech but with hardpoints.

The RPG version has a very seldom heard softpoint system which basically starts to get into how swapping similar things gets a soft bonus to the rolls to make them easier/take less time. Sarna.net actually points these out and I'm not sure if it even realizes it.

For example:
http://www.sarna.net...m_Range_Missile
" Can be used as a substitute for the SRM-6 Can be used as a substitute for the LRM-10 Can be used as a substitute for the LRM-15 Can be used as a substitute for the LRM-20"

These can be very quickly swapped. Not as easily as omni-pods (which can be done in minutes to a couple of hours), but fairly close. An exceptional crew could get it done in 4 hours with Scotty the Engineer (name I give to a god-modded tech for seeing how fast something could be pulled off if someone twice as good as a master-tech does it, due to an 8 bonus on top of already being at the highest level of skill for technician, but think of that as twice as fast as a wizard class chief technician with a full astech crew). (Note this quick swap is only with the addition of that MWRPG 2nd edition ruleset in place, otherwise its just a normal change).

You can still technically do literally anything you want. For example if you want to turn the Scorpion
Posted Image
Into this
Posted Image
You can! (Catapillar tracks included!!) Make sure the arms are "ST turrets".
(Please note without the proper facilities -- this modification would be hit with about 7 negative design quirks even with a god-modded technician...and would fail every time with a veteran technician and a full astech crew).

Voila! Magic!

The issue is how deep are you going into the rules?
Because the more difficult the task, the more likely you'll have flaws or failures. For example changing a Jenners from one variant to another....4 years before that variant was even invented. I'll let the story tell itself, as it has failures that led to minor flaws and failures that led to a 35 ton paperweight that unfortunately cost more than an Atlas.
Spoiler

Note that Scotty in that story is just a wizard-class tech (possible but cheese-factory ******** even in 3150), not a double-wizard-class as I mentioned for the quick swap (which is completely impossible without blatantly cheating)... so everything in the story is completely possible but your average tech would have a lot more failures and be very unlikely to succeed at all. They did, however, have full access to proper facilities.

Which brings up the point that Karl brought up... As I was saying anything is possible with the right stuff...
Your hardiest tech probably still isn't gonna have access to a fully equipped facility. In HBS BT the Argo was literally a flying fortress with its own automated mech factory. Even then hefty modifications took weeks. (Which is about equal to a little faster than doing similar things in Battletech with access to something very similar).

Edited by Koniving, 05 April 2019 - 08:32 AM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Huh.. MW RPG 1st edition, just learned: Armor during the star league was so highly specialized between mechs that it caused no end of trouble for technicians. The exact shape or size of the armor plate necessary might not be available, requiring some jerry rigging that would ultimately weaken it.
Spoiler

To pull any of it off in the field with any chance for success, you need some kits
Spoiler

Ideally, you'll want a LoaderMech or HaulerMech in tow to help with performing the repairs and replacements in the field...note there's a high chance for failure for major things such as engine replacement...but it is doable.

For the changes you originally described, however... you need one of these at least.
Spoiler

Despite what it says here about fusion kits only being in the dropships,etc... there's a field repair list of how to do an in-the-field engine replacement. Problem is if it does succeed at all, the engine's automatically cut a hex in power so your top speed goes down no matter what. You still need to have the Fusion kit delivered to you by a loader/hauler mech (anything else isn't 'delicate' enough.)

(Image to text converter seems to like changing mech to mach.)
Page 32 for the kits/etc.

So to come full circle..
Yes, you can recreate any mech in MWO in BT.
But so you know what works in MWO does not work in BT, many MWO meta mechs are colossal failures in BT. Your average AC rig would be a walking time bomb that blows up in one or two hits (with through armor crits) not to mention they'd have enough ammo to fire non-stop for weeks instead of minutes.

Your average Laser Vomit build wouldn't be able to alpha strike much of anything even with all those heatsinks as either you'd be firing them in sequence across many seconds.

The laser vomit using Solaris 7's true alpha strike rule, pinpoint convergence doesn't exist; it'd be fired as each section firing straight.. So if you rolled the CT as the primary target, your CT weapons would hit their CT, your ST weapons would hit their ST, your arm weapons would hit the CT (note if you rolled an arm for example they'd all focus on the arm while the ST weapons might hit an ST and miss depending on which side of the arm it goes), and you'd have an additional 40 heat (out of a 120 threshold as the simplest way to breakdown 2.5 seconds is to times all heat by 4 and keep dissipation rate the same, or divide a lot of things by 4 including dissipation.. in which case it'd be an additional 10 heat out of 30 threshold).

MWO lets you alpha strike approximately twice as much firepower as Battletech would, without the penalty heat (unless violating MWO's ghost heat). But that's another topic.

Edited by Koniving, 05 April 2019 - 09:04 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

Here we go.
With proper facilities, this took 5 weeks (with nothing delivered as I god-modded those, otherwise it might've been months).

Warhammer WHM-6R Bersigil Custom Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Spoiler

Stripped a bunch of equipment, slapped in two Ultra/5s and traded the MG bin for an Ultra/5 bin. Despite only 20 cassettes, I could fire this fairly continuously at standard rate (for both UAC/5s) 3.33 minutes and net approximately 100 damage
On Ultra firing mode if no jams or problems, for 1.67 minutes and net approximately 100 damage.
(I say approximately because depending on the kind of hit you do assuming everything hit, you could do as low as 70 and as high as 150...)

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

No long-term technical issues given the year, but if I had done that in say 3015, there's a good chance it would have failed miserably.
I used a regular technician and a full astech crew. Had one critical injury (crushed foot), two minor injuries, and had to do 3 attempts to remove one of the MGs as two of the attempts failed. Got it out but broke it in the process so that's one I can't hope to sell. Also broke a heatsink during extraction.

#7 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

ok... I'll just admit it: I had no (absolutely no!) idea of how complex this side of the universe could be. I mean... I do understand that the lore is rich... but... wow!

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostBersigil, on 05 April 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

ok... I'll just admit it: I had no (absolutely no!) idea of how complex this side of the universe could be. I mean... I do understand that the lore is rich... but... wow!

One thing to remember, is Battletech started during the "Real Robot genre" after the monster-of-the-week super robot genre started to fade, and was targeted at an already older audience in its early twenties, and has been carried into "Mech Dad" territory for a long, long time.

Myself in the 90s I never really knew it was anywhere this good. Though in comparison many of the real robot animes were crossing between real robot / super robot genres to strike some sort of middle ground (like that ridiculous gundam), so between it and Heavy Gear I thought of them like the most realistic I've seen which then paled a bit compared to Star Siege. Course, Mw2 dropped a lot of "Battletech" out, Mw3 tried to bring it back... and The Earthsiege series (later Starsiege) was actually a heavily modified original MW2 after FASA chose a different company while it was almost done. (As such many weapons are very, very similar). Now looking at the original company that made the first Mechwarrior PC game... it has a lot of Battletech in there that never got put back into the Mechwarrior series. Its a shame that it looked like this, but hey that's 1989 for ya.

Mechwarrior 1:
Spoiler

Beautifully...ugly game, but so damn impressive for the time, to think on the Nintendo super Mario 2 just came out a year before.

There's more tanks and vehicles than mechs, naval ships, warships, etc.. And something over 80,000 planets, with over 30,000 systems, many actually having some kind of story however brief it might be. A fun thing to do is to pull out Megamek HQ (think of it like an unofficial "Battletech" for the PC; one that even the Battletech books use SCREENSHOTS from in order to explain Battletech rules in newer books!) and literally go browse the systems to check them out.

This was taken from my thread "You have 5.5 tons" about my original (borrowed) security mech design.
It shows the entire Battletech map and zooms in to Nirasaki, the order is left, right, bottom left, bottom right.
Posted Image
Nirasaki is a fun read.
Each dot is a star system with multiple planets... (the Sol system is called "Terra" in Battletech, and includes all "9" planets... yes, Pluto is still considered a planet in BT)
Blue lines is the communication network (HPG)

Edited by Koniving, 05 April 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Watching a documentary about MW5..

The AI tidbit is hilarious... But there's a tidbit closer to the beginning from Jordan Weisman (one of the creators of the Battletech franchise) which has its own aspect to the BT lore.

But if you're interested in getting a taste of Battletech, there's HBS BT as the easiest way to slip in with beautiful visuals, or with a learning curve there's Megamek. I'm still learning it, but already I'm causing traffic accidents as I cross busy streets to chase bank robbers in security mechs I designed to fit into the universe. :)

#10 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:41 AM

PGI has implemented Battletech's mech loadouts faithfully in 99% of cases. Exception is moving leg-slot weapons to side torsos. Since there is no such thing as hardpoints in Battletech, you can, in-theory, stick a weapon wherever there is crit space.

As others have said qualified techs and and a well-equiped facility to do the work. No detakls are given in the basic rules, but once you get into advanced rules you get some numbers for cost, repair time etc.

As far as a "custom" mech, onlya few occassions would you find one:
1) varients specific to a House or unit which are refits rather than productions, but available in mass quantity.
2) a former mass-produced mech customized by a mechwarrior over years.
3) prototype or experimental mechs not meant for mass production. Solaris 7 teams.

Only case 1 is a viable battlefield unit. Having a support team, facilitys and spare parts for cases #2 and #3 is not suitable to the logistical demands of war. Also timeline matters, during the Star League's height right before the collapse only the elite "Royal" units were fielding mechs with all the high-tech. Regular Starleague forces and Sucessor States still used mechs with standard engines, structure, heatsinks etc. (or just one improvement) even though better technology was available at the time.

Exceptions:
- high-priced mercenary like the Bountyhunter can get away with #2 because of higher contract price and downtime between contracts to ship the mech to a proper repair facility.
- heir to Sucessor State would be able to maintain a gifted custom Direwolf
- mercenary units with their own planets/facilities: Wolf's Dragoons and Kell's Hounds

So in your example of a gauss Warhammer refit, it would likely be a unique mech with a specific pilot.

Edited by SilentScreamer, 11 April 2019 - 06:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users