- - - - -

Mech Warrior Is Ok But I Miss Other Games Of Mechs...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Louis Fist

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationInside my Mech

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

I born in 1986,in middle of 90s,i played a game named Earthsiege (not as famous as Mech Warrior series) i remember using my keyboard like a true robot cockpilot panel.

Those robots in that game (Earthsiege) have shields and armor only (not internals) and shields recharge over time.

Some time passed till the company launched Earthsiege 2 (another excellent game) tons of fun playing offline (i do not play online in those times) till the company launched the best of the best game of robots of all time,Starsiege.

This last one was a bit different but the robots have the same system (shields and armor and some different weapons)

Then company loss money (or dunno what happened) and fall. The rights of the game passed onto other companyes (or dunno what,cus i do not know why there are not more robot games of this series) and launched Tribes.

Tribes was a first person shooter of humans conquering the stars in different tribes (Diamond sword,Blood Eagle,Children of the Phoenix and Star Wolf)

If you search on i net,you will find a game named Tribes:Ascend (the last of those series) is a bull **** game,but for different tastes there are colors.

Before play this Tribes game series i tryed Mech Commander 1 and i start to like the universe of Mech Warrior.

So,here i am, playing Mech Warrior Online. I miss some shields on the robots,cus in year 3051 i think there are enough technology for invent the shields.

But hey,Mech Warrior series are still a good games.

My computer is a crap to play Mech Warrior 5,maybe when i have a good job i can have a good computer.

Atm i am fine with Mech Warrior Online,but sometimes i miss my dear Starsiege.

R.I.P Starsiege,i always remember you.

If you played those series you can post here and say which one of the games is your favorite.

Greetings!!

Edited by Louis Fist, 08 April 2019 - 06:32 AM.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Greetings!
Welcome to MWO.
I am hopeful that MW5 will be a good single-player MechWarrior game.

Sure you can have shields, but that makes it too easy, yes? Posted Image
There is certainly something more challenging about not being able to restore health. Every move has consequences.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 08 April 2019 - 07:43 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostLouis Fist, on 08 April 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

I born in 1986,in middle of 90s,i played a game named Earthsiege (not as famous as Mech Warrior series) i remember using my keyboard like a true robot cockpilot panel.

Fun fact, have you noticed how similar Earthsiege/Starsiege is to Mechwarrior?
There's a bit of a reason for that, they were the people that made the first Mechwarrior. Metaltech (which had two divergent univeses, Metaltech: Earthsiege and Metaltech: Cyberstorm) was built upon what was originally going to be Mechwarrior 2.

But, FASA decided that the team was struggling in order to produce what FASA wanted, and they instead went with Activision which threw a team three times that size in order to produce Mechwarrior 2: 31st century combat (the subtitle was necessary, as Dynamix had "Mechwarrior 2" even if they were no longer permitted to release it.
So some asset changes, swap IS with the Earth Empire and Clans with Cybrids and Dynamix was able to still make use of all the time and money they had invested into Mechwarrior 2.

It is mentioned here by Jordan Weisman, creator of Battletech (and subsequently Mechwarrior)
The "team" that was "struggling" was the team that created the Metaltech (Siege) series.

Then company loss money (or dunno what happened) and fall. The rights of the game passed onto other companyes (or dunno what,cus i do not know why there are not more robot games of this series) and launched Tribes.

Well first off, the story of Starsiege ended.

"I tell the story of the third and final coming of Prometheus. I tell the story of us all."
In other words, it was the final entry in the series.

Tribes was the aftermath, set 100 or so years after the fact on Mars.

Dynamix as a company retired so to speak. The main guy behind it resurfaced ten years later with Mad Otter Games.

Starsiege continued, unofficially, with 2845, which is a total conversion mod for Starsiege Tribes Vengeance. It was, naturally, awesome and is similar to what another mod community did with the MW franchise....those guys eventually moved on to make a new Heavy Gear game.

So,here i am, playing Mech Warrior Online. I miss some shields on the robots,cus in year 3051 i think there are enough technology for invent the shields.
My computer is a crap to play Mech Warrior 5,maybe when i have a good job i can have a good computer.

Unlike MWO, MW5 runs on the Unreal Engine which is known for playing very well on older systems, this is because the engine is highly optimized for playing on consoles which are always outdated. As such, MW5 should play reasonably well depending on how poorly PGI optimizes their own code. This said PGI actually has considerably more experience with Unreal than CryEngine, and unlike CryEngine, Unreal Engine has full support that doesn't go bankrupt during crucial moments of development.
Expect MW5 to play well.

Far as the technology, in universe they were well on their way to developing something akin to shields in the 2800s, but then then the equivalent to Promtheous turning on humanity happened (the Amaris Coup) and following the conclusion of it, the Star League's most influential commander in chief (Kerensky) called upon the entire Star League to join him in an Exodus; the thought is that by robbing humanity of its weapons of war the seven great houses would have to come to an understanding....They didn't.

(Kerensky's speech giving the reasons for his exodus; it would not reach Earth until over 300 years later, well after the Clan invasion.)
Over hundreds of years they waged war after war after war, systematically trying to destroy each others advantages down to the elimination of the scientists, the stored knowledge, etc. In the wake of this a faction in charge of intergalatic communication managed to take earth from underneath everyone's noses and declare themselves neutral, Comstar. Since everyone's intergalactic currency was also reliant on comstar, no one screwed with it, as they secretly begin hording tech and assassinating virtually anyone that actually knows how to make a battlemech outside of automated production.. That changed when despite their attempts to interfere, a "hidden cache" of Star League tech was discovered by a merc group called the Gray Death Legion, whom then decided that it should be sold to merchants under their protection and sold in small chunks to various factions... giving each faction its own edge. That data store, the Helm Memory Core, is implied to have been planted by Wolf's Dragoons...aka Clan Wolf spies that judged the IS to be too inferior to put up a challenge against the Crusader Clans which would prevent the Warden Clans from achieving their own objectives.

Then came, as Promteheus would put it...

ACKNOWLEDGE//SUBMIT! Inefficiency\\lapse has allowed//permitted human\\animal war <units> continued Lifeflow\\Online at <Planet-of-Origin> for duration >8.357e+9 seconds<. Alert//notify <Protectors-of-Giver-of-Will> ref:::>>>Platinum Guard<<<. Exercise//implement priority >protocol< Designate::: A001-LI965 Eliminate//offline//burst all human\\animal <factions>. Do not allow//permit the human\\vermin to escape//annoy//trouble <Giver-of-Will>

(265 years since Kerensky's Operation Exodus, the Clans return).

In other words Kerensky's former Star League, the Clans, invaded, the "third and final coming of Promtheus." "The "Earth" (IS) was already in a state of decay. In the words of the Star Siege narrator, "When Promtheus attacked again, human blood already stained the ground." In the IS, the factions are still recovering from the Fourth Succession War, the War of 3039, and several others.

But back to shields and away from the fact that these guys have wiped their technological advancements out for so long that they're only just learning how to use their new toys... In 3053 the first working prototype of a shield was made. It doesn't say when it becomes commonly available, but the shield only lasts 1 minute before being clogged (less on dusty planets, longer in a vacuum) and it only functions against PPCs. As such common implementation of this system is costly prohibative and subject to niche use. Furthermore Starsiege dealt with the economic and military issues of four planets and a Cybrid planet.
Battletech (Mechwarrior) deals with those of 80,000+ planets, of which 30,000+ are inhabited by civilizations with economic needs and another 20k are "in use" in some way by some faction, corporation, operation, etc.

In other words, the technological potential was shot down for hundreds of years, and when it came about finally, it was so pathetically useless that it has yet to be distributed... (After all, once that minute concludes it becomes dead weight until it is cleaned in your mechbay). As such, it is not included in MWO...players would only complain about it being so useless.

This is a screenshot of the Battletech universe from Megamek, the "Terra" system holds Earth and is the name for the Sol system of real life. The zoom order is left, right, bottom left, bottom right. Blue lines are the HPG communication network.
Posted Image
So economically, the super expensive new tech wouldn't distribute very well... until the 3030s, many factories only produced new mechs at a rate of around 5 to 30 of each mech per year, if you tallied the factories the number of those produced would still fall behind the number of those permanently destroyed each year.

In truth, MWO is a rather poor demonstration of the Battletech universe, as everything is running beyond-hero/Ace-quality battlemechs, with unparalled convergence, damage rates well into 4 to 5 times that of the source material (and heat rates of the same) with heat caps nearly twice that of the source material....and no weapon overheating/consequences (beyond Ultra jams and RAC jams).

Even so, it is what we have until MW5...much like Tribes Ascend is all we have now as the Siege Universe tale has concluded....

In the words of Q:

And end, the Siege trilogy did. Sadly. It will be missed. Much like Hideo's Metal Gear series and the Silent Hill series.

Edited by Koniving, 08 April 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#4 Louis Fist

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationInside my Mech

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 April 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

Fun fact, have you noticed how similar Earthsiege/Starsiege is to Mechwarrior?
There's a bit of a reason for that, they were the people that made the first Mechwarrior. Metaltech (which had two divergent univeses, Metaltech: Earthsiege and Metaltech: Cyberstorm) was built upon what was originally going to be Mechwarrior 2.

But, FASA decided that the team was struggling in order to produce what FASA wanted, and they instead went with Activision which threw a team three times that size in order to produce Mechwarrior 2: 31st century combat (the subtitle was necessary, as Dynamix had "Mechwarrior 2" even if they were no longer permitted to release it.
So some asset changes, swap IS with the Earth Empire and Clans with Cybrids and Dynamix was able to still make use of all the time and money they had invested into Mechwarrior 2.

It is mentioned here by Jordan Weisman, creator of Battletech (and subsequently Mechwarrior)
The "team" that was "struggling" was the team that created the Metaltech (Siege) series.

Well first off, the story of Starsiege ended.
"I tell the story of the third and final coming of Prometheus. I tell the story of us all."
In other words, it was the final entry in the series.

Tribes was the aftermath, set 100 or so years after the fact on Mars.

Dynamix as a company retired so to speak. The main guy behind it resurfaced ten years later with Mad Otter Games.

Starsiege continued, unofficially, with 2845, which is a total conversion mod for Starsiege Tribes Vengeance. It was, naturally, awesome and is similar to what another mod community did with the MW franchise....those guys eventually moved on to make a new Heavy Gear game.

Unlike MWO, MW5 runs on the Unreal Engine which is known for playing very well on older systems, this is because the engine is highly optimized for playing on consoles which are always outdated. As such, MW5 should play reasonably well depending on how poorly PGI optimizes their own code. This said PGI actually has considerably more experience with Unreal than CryEngine, and unlike CryEngine, Unreal Engine has full support that doesn't go bankrupt during crucial moments of development.
Expect MW5 to play well.

Far as the technology, in universe they were well on their way to developing something akin to shields in the 2800s, but then then the equivalent to Promtheous turning on humanity happened (the Amaris Coup) and following the conclusion of it, the Star League's most influential commander in chief (Kerensky) called upon the entire Star League to join him in an Exodus; the thought is that by robbing humanity of its weapons of war the seven great houses would have to come to an understanding....They didn't.
(Kerensky's speech giving the reasons for his exodus; it would not reach Earth until over 300 years later, well after the Clan invasion.)
Over hundreds of years they waged war after war after war, systematically trying to destroy each others advantages down to the elimination of the scientists, the stored knowledge, etc. In the wake of this a faction in charge of intergalatic communication managed to take earth from underneath everyone's noses and declare themselves neutral, Comstar. Since everyone's intergalactic currency was also reliant on comstar, no one screwed with it, as they secretly begin hording tech and assassinating virtually anyone that actually knows how to make a battlemech outside of automated production.. That changed when despite their attempts to interfere, a "hidden cache" of Star League tech was discovered by a merc group called the Gray Death Legion, whom then decided that it should be sold to merchants under their protection and sold in small chunks to various factions... giving each faction its own edge. That data store, the Helm Memory Core, is implied to have been planted by Wolf's Dragoons...aka Clan Wolf spies that judged the IS to be too inferior to put up a challenge against the Crusader Clans which would prevent the Warden Clans from achieving their own objectives.

Then came, as Promteheus would put it...

(265 years since Kerensky's Operation Exodus, the Clans return).

In other words Kerensky's former Star League, the Clans, invaded, the "third and final coming of Promtheus." "The "Earth" (IS) was already in a state of decay. In the words of the Star Siege narrator, "When Promtheus attacked again, human blood already stained the ground." In the IS, the factions are still recovering from the Fourth Succession War, the War of 3039, and several others.

But back to shields and away from the fact that these guys have wiped their technological advancements out for so long that they're only just learning how to use their new toys... In 3053 the first working prototype of a shield was made. It doesn't say when it becomes commonly available, but the shield only lasts 1 minute before being clogged (less on dusty planets, longer in a vacuum) and it only functions against PPCs. As such common implementation of this system is costly prohibative and subject to niche use. Furthermore Starsiege dealt with the economic and military issues of four planets and a Cybrid planet.
Battletech (Mechwarrior) deals with those of 80,000+ planets, of which 30,000+ are inhabited by civilizations with economic needs and another 20k are "in use" in some way by some faction, corporation, operation, etc.

In other words, the technological potential was shot down for hundreds of years, and when it came about finally, it was so pathetically useless that it has yet to be distributed... (After all, once that minute concludes it becomes dead weight until it is cleaned in your mechbay). As such, it is not included in MWO...players would only complain about it being so useless.

This is a screenshot of the Battletech universe from Megamek, the "Terra" system holds Earth and is the name for the Sol system of real life. The zoom order is left, right, bottom left, bottom right. Blue lines are the HPG communication network.
Posted Image
So economically, the super expensive new tech wouldn't distribute very well... until the 3030s, many factories only produced new mechs at a rate of around 5 to 30 of each mech per year, if you tallied the factories the number of those produced would still fall behind the number of those permanently destroyed each year.

In truth, MWO is a rather poor demonstration of the Battletech universe, as everything is running beyond-hero/Ace-quality battlemechs, with unparalled convergence, damage rates well into 4 to 5 times that of the source material (and heat rates of the same) with heat caps nearly twice that of the source material....and no weapon overheating/consequences (beyond Ultra jams and RAC jams).

Even so, it is what we have until MW5...much like Tribes Ascend is all we have now as the Siege Universe tale has concluded....

In the words of Q:
And end, the Siege trilogy did. Sadly. It will be missed. Much like Hideo's Metal Gear series and the Silent Hill series.

Wow thanks for put time in write this text explaining the relation of Starsiege and Mech Warrior universes.

I am very pleased to say thanks for that info,because i was making a mess with the two series (i remember the Metaltech letters on my first Earthsiege box game)

I love robot games,and any movie that shows giganting robots piloted by humans (Pacific Rim for example)

I always loved the idea of gigantic robots piloted by humans,but at the moment it is a science fiction fact. I swear that governments of most powerful countryes have tech to create such robots in actuality,but such tech is a very dangeous tech,such as atomic bomb in 1940.

Who knows,maybe in 30 years forward we see the first piloted robot prototype in the world.

In mean time we must dream about this tech and play games that emulates this tech,call me a fool,but i would like to born in 2100 or more for see this tech.

Maybe (i think) that the first prototype of piloted robot it is a somewhat like Urbanmech,call me a dreamer.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

Already have them.

Though technically this is more for show than actual piloting, it is a robot of the scale (and is 18 meters tall [MWO's Atlas is 18.8 meters tall, the Gouf Custom from gundam 08th ms team is 18.6 meters tall...and the Atlas in Battletech is 13.5 to 14 meters tall...because everything in MWO is grossly oversized]).

This said..

and on the more professional and advanced side..

They are real.
Similar to the lore of Patlabor, we're only 7 years off from the true piloted mech compared to Patlabor.

#6 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Well his name is now blue...

#7 Louis Fist

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationInside my Mech

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 April 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Already have them.

Though technically this is more for show than actual piloting, it is a robot of the scale (and is 18 meters tall [MWO's Atlas is 18.8 meters tall, the Gouf Custom from gundam 08th ms team is 18.6 meters tall...and the Atlas in Battletech is 13.5 to 14 meters tall...because everything in MWO is grossly oversized]).

This said..

and on the more professional and advanced side..

They are real.
Similar to the lore of Patlabor, we're only 7 years off from the true piloted mech compared to Patlabor.

Wow that is amazing,thanks for share!!!! I specially like the last one.

Edited by Louis Fist, 09 April 2019 - 03:54 AM.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:02 AM

The 'missile' launcher for the kuratas was hilarious. "From time to time it will hit its target" sounds like MWO LRMs :P

#9 Louis Fist

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationInside my Mech

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 09 April 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

The 'missile' launcher for the kuratas was hilarious. "From time to time it will hit its target" sounds like MWO LRMs Posted Image

Well think Kurata as a prototype and one of the first "21th century mechs" in the world,so need to polish a bit more.

Remember the enemy mech of the old first robocop movie? Think like that.

And about the Kurata,it have a curious same appearance as my Hunchback on the center torso. Anyone see any difference? Two arms,small cabin and big torso. Change those quad legs for the big legs of the mech Hunchback and voila! We have a real Hunchback.

It need the big cannon mounted on the right torso for have maximum appearance as the Hunchback.

Btw the Gundam is much 80s,i do not like it. The second video is a slow mech and the third i only see persons inside its cabin (i do not see the entire video btw)

Kurata have high tech panel inside the cabin,like the HUD of MWO,my fav.

Edited by Louis Fist, 09 April 2019 - 05:52 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users