Hibernal Rift - A Quite Good Reskin

43 replies to this topic

#1 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

Now that I embarassed myself by not noticing the patch notes and disappointing myself over the new Hibernal Rift map, I should probably say that since it is SUPPOSED to be a reskin it's quite good Posted Image

The visuals are quite cool, the additional ramps should reduce the hassle of getting up to the ridgelines, and the scattered obstacle additions like the rear of a plane and various ice formations break up some of the areas with lesser availability of cover.

Learning makes things much better Posted Image

Edited by Gamuray, 15 April 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#2 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

I like the look of it. I especially like the lava/snow setup. I always thought a Terra Therma Snow would be interesting, especially if we ever got asymmetrical teams. Defending team starts in a snowy area with good cover, attacking team has to come up through open areas with a lot of hot spots but has more mechs. Think FP Boreal but the attacking side has even less cover and lava all over the place, but again you get more mechs on your side.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Not surprisingly a snow map. Since everyone favors cold maps. But I assume the lava spots are hot? In any case it's nice to at least get some variety. With the classic maps back in rotation as well. It might actually vary things up a bit.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Do not be fooled my friends.

This reskin has one objective: To increase the action in the MWOWC:2019. Canyon Network was the most played map last year and the players were limited in aggressiveness due to stock builds with SHS. Re-skinning the map to increase cooling on those 'mechs is a mere ploy pandering to those teams...

We need more hot maps not cold maps. Imagine:
Polar Highlands becoming the Kharak Desert; the remains of a crashed warship provide the main source of cover and breaking the exposure polar embodied.

Posted Image

Edited by VonBruinwald, 15 April 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#5 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

I did the walk around to showcase what the changers are, and where they are for gameplay purposes! I think it'll be good additions, allowing a bit more flexibility in maneuvering (look at you assaults) and cover for movement!

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

New map looks ace. Definately a bit more than a reskin as I said last week when the trailer came out.

I'm a big fan as Canyon while good, could use some work. Some areas I can tell have had that attention.

Can't wait to give it a run. I believe it might feature in the next Comp League (Aces Wild ISC) coming up as well which starts May 2nd. Liasing with organisers currently so hopefully it gets slapped in there.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 April 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Do not be fooled my friends.

This reskin has one objective: To increase the action in the MWOWC:2019. Canyon Network was the most played map last year and the players were limited in aggressiveness due to stock builds with SHS. Re-skinning the map to increase cooling on those 'mechs is a mere ploy pandering to those teams...

Pandering to the Comp Teams? Posted Image Not one of the 3 final teams made any such request to PGI. Furthermore in the finals Rubellite & Grim were also played quite extensively. One cold and one hot where Canyon is essentially neutral. So all manner of map temps and comp teams do not care about map temps because they can actually adjust for it. Look back to other past world champs too where Tourmaline featured heavily.

Does every thread on this forum really need to have tinfoil hat consipracy theories and wildly inaccurate statements for the gullible to chug down? Posted Image

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 April 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Does every thread on this forum really need to have tinfoil hat consipracy theories and wildly inaccurate statements for the gullible to chug down? Posted Image

YES!

Not one of the 3 final teams made any such request to PGI.

You don't know what happens behind closed doors.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 April 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

You don't know what happens behind closed doors.

Well given I was behind closed doors with 4 other Players, across the 3 teams and we all had a 1.5hr meeting with Chris/PGI to discuss a bunch of stuff...

I think I would know. Stop making stuff up.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 15 April 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#9 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Does every thread on this forum really need to have tinfoil hat...

Posted Image

Also. Gives me pause that he was given a platform to speak on stuff quite a few of us don't agree with. Balance maybe. The future of the IP and less lore. SMH

Edited by HammerMaster, 15 April 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 April 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Well given I was behind closed doors with 4 other Players, across the 3 teams and we all had a 1.5hr meeting with Chris/PGI to discuss a bunch of stuff...

I think I would know. Stop making stuff up.

I'm curious what came up beyond the Piranah nerfing...

#11 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

I like the idea of re-skinning exisiting maps and I like that we have another version of Canyon Network. But, can we please get away from snow maps for a while? I think we have plenty of those. I'd like to see more maps with color like Caustic, Viridian, Grim, Rubellite, etc... anything but another snow map.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

idk how anyone can say its good until you actually play it. since nobody here has, meh. to me it will be "just another ******* snow map that we dont need" until the game goes tango uniform. the sad thing is i expect even more snow maps in the future. dont give the players what they want, give them what they need. flavor.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 April 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#13 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

View Postocular tb, on 15 April 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

I like the idea of re-skinning exisiting maps and I like that we have another version of Canyon Network. But, can we please get away from snow maps for a while? I think we have plenty of those. I'd like to see more maps with color like Caustic, Viridian, Grim, Rubellite, etc... anything but another snow map.

I thought they said they were going to make a the Canyon reskin a jungle theme when they first mentioned the reskins...
Maybe the next reskin map will be something like that. Grim Jungle? Just throwing a bunch of the big trees on that map would change it up a lot.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

redskins are cheap. even when i was a modder i thought so. so when i see somone who gets paid get away with it, it makes me shudder.

#15 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Problem with reskinning maps to be not-cold is that nobody will vote for them if they do.

#16 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 April 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

redskins are cheap. even when i was a modder i thought so. so when i see somone who gets paid get away with it, it makes me shudder.

I think its fine as long as it has some changes and we still get completely new maps some time soon.

#17 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

View Postdario03, on 15 April 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

I thought they said they were going to make a the Canyon reskin a jungle theme when they first mentioned the reskins...
Maybe the next reskin map will be something like that. Grim Jungle? Just throwing a bunch of the big trees on that map would change it up a lot.

NGNG podcast #169 47 mintue mark is when he brought that up. To me it sounds like he was just using that as an example and not necessarily something they had committed to.

I'd be fine with Canyon Jungle or Grim Jungle. I'd be fine with just about anything except another snow map.

#18 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostKanil, on 15 April 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Problem with reskinning maps to be not-cold is that nobody will vote for them if they do.

They would if they were done like this one and not just a reskin but have some changes done to them. If the changes are good enough for more people to like that version they would vote for it over the cold version. Tourmaline is a hot map but has always seemed to get a decent amount of play, both qp and comp.

#19 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

View Postdario03, on 15 April 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Tourmaline is a hot map but has always seemed to get a decent amount of play, both qp and comp.

I guess that depends on your definition of decent. In my games, Tourmaline is roughly the sixth most popular map. That is to say that the most popular hot map gets voted about as often as a generic cold map, and far less than the most popular cold map.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 April 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

idk how anyone can say its good until you actually play it. since nobody here has

Well it's not too dissimilar to balance changes.

One can simply look at numbers and know.

Knowing Canyon Network as it stands now, it's quite easy to see where the changes are and know what that could mean for game play. I didn't catch the NGNG stream of it cause busy, but I can go back and look there too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users