Anyone "in The Know" Heard Anything Regarding Pgi's License Renewal?

91 replies to this topic

#41 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 April 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

PGI really needs their own IP

they should bring back TRANS|VERSE lol

Was that the game where we all become Trannys? No judgement

#42 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostVxheous, on 16 April 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Was that the game where we all become Trannys? No judgement

trannys in space would be more accurate. but yeah.

#43 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

In space, no one can hear you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#44 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

i cant see how miniskirts would work in space, especially with a pair of manberries floating around down there, where the slightest motion would cause them to reach escape velocity.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 April 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#45 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

If there is any news about the future of mwo after mw5, russ will talk about it at mechcon.

#46 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

^lawl. This guy.

#47 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 April 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

I am not interested in that game or its licensure status however. Rather, I am asking about whatever license extension Russ was on about regarding THIS game and if anyone has any information as to their extension/resolution. It would seem that no one has heard anything definitive. So be it. Maybe Russ will mention during his next NGNG thing.

The mechwarrior rights that PGI licenses from MS are for all video games based on the Battletech IP. They sublicense it to HBS, as far as I understand it. Any extension to that license would cover both MWO and MW5 development (as well as anything like MWO2 and MW5 expansions). It would also impact HBS expansions to its game, I believe.

The main thing is that a successful MW5 launch anywhere near the tail end of the license is good for negotiating contract extension or a new contract. Of course, negotiating and getting contracts edited, signed and finalized takes a while.

#48 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 April 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

i cant see how miniskirts would work in space, especially with a pair of manberries floating around down there, where the slightest motion would cause them to reach escape velocity.

They work just fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

View PostBombast, on 17 April 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

They work just fine.

LOL. I forgot about that. TNG had a very...awkward first season.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 17 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#50 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostBombast, on 17 April 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

They work just fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

that wouldnt fly on the expanse where ships are actually layed out like a space ship and not an ocean liner.

#51 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 April 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

that wouldnt fly on the expanse where ships are actually layed out like a space ship and not an ocean liner.

I don't know why the Expanse has suddenly become the yardstick of whats reasonable in sci-fi. I appreciate it's "realism," but that stuffs boring as hell. I'll take hand-wavy 90/00s Star Trek/Stargate/Farscape rules, please.

Edited by Bombast, 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#52 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

There's such a thing as too much technobabble handwaving Bombast. Frankly it's more interesting to see ships fighting quasi realistic battles.

#53 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I don't know why the Expanse has suddenly become the yardstick of whats reasonable in sci-fi. I appreciate it's "realism," but that stuffs boring as hell. I'll take hand-wavy 90/00s Star Trek/Stargate/Farscape rules, please.

realism isnt boring if its done right, and the expanse does it right by making the nature of space flight in itself an antagonist. inertia is your enemy, gravity is your enemy and its an adversary the protagonists have to contend with. im also totally against the notion that you cant both have realism and good story telling. babylon 5 had hard scifi elements and was better off for it while still being more or less the usual space opera. even the battletech books have hard scifi elements (that end as soon as mech leave the dropship) and that is also a good thing. torch ships forever.

problem with '90s sci-fi is its just forbidden planet over and over again. star wars is ww2 in space. sci-fi became a series of overused tropes that got old. you could be using it as a vehicle to explore humanity's future but all you are doing is exploring its past in a quasi-futuristic setting.

to be fair hard scifi is a subgenre for people who want more science and less fiction. while for some it may be an acquired taste it has certainly ruined all the old tropes for me. look at nutrek for example its a little more out there and its chock full of leftist propaganda, but at its heart are the same worn out tropes as before. i often tell people its the show i watch while im waiting for the next expanse season to come out.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 April 2019 - 11:10 AM.

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostKhobai, on 16 April 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

PGI really needs their own IP

they should bring back TRANS|VERSE lol

Trouble with that...
Is it was a wing Commander license.
(Why do you think Chris Roberts was there?)

Anyway last I heard Russ said it depended on mw5's success. Whether due to finances or needing to prove the mw franchise was a viable cashcow for Microsoft or a plan to buy the license out of Microsoft's hands....that's another matter entirely.

Edited by Koniving, 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#55 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostKoniving, on 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Trouble with that...
Is it was a wing Commander license.
(Why do you think Chris Roberts was there?)

Anyway last I heard Russ said it depended on mw5's success. Whether due to finances or needing to prove the me franchise was a viable cashcow for Microsoft or a plan to buy the license out of Microsoft's hands....that's another matter entirely.

they can do that, and i can give my money to other game developers for games i actually care about.

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 April 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

they can do that, and i can give my money to other game developers for games i actually care about.

They tried that. They didn't make any headway... Too many thought they were chasing a trend and had no chance in hell given how me still didn't even have faction warfare.

#57 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 April 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

SNIP

Do they ever use X-Ray bombs in Expanse? I can't get past episode 3 myself, don't know if they allow the use of nukes in space in universe.

#58 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 April 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

problem with '90s sci-fi is its just forbidden planet over and over again. star wars is ww2 in space. sci-fi became a series of overused tropes that got old. you could be using it as a vehicle to explore humanity's future but all you are doing is exploring its past in a quasi-futuristic setting.

Unless that 90's SciFi was Babylon 5 Posted Image. I'm sure it wasn't perfect if I went back and watched it again, but it definitely tried to embrace the more realistic aspects of space.
Posted Image

Fighters acted like they were in a vacuum, the station and warships had rotating sections to create artificial gravity. Some ships had "artificial gravity emitters" probably because the rule-of-cool was starting to take hold (and I think they were considered more advanced), but still, it took more strides towards realism than a lot of shows of the era did.

Plus it was a good show to boot Posted Image.

P.S. The Starfury is IMO, still one of the coolest starfighters in SciFi...Change my mind Posted Image

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 17 April 2019 - 12:38 PM.

#59 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 17 April 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Unless that 90's SciFi was Babylon 5 Posted Image. I'm sure it wasn't perfect if I went back and watched it again, but it definitely tried to embrace the more realistic aspects of space.
Posted Image

Fighters acted like they were in a vacuum, the station and warships had rotating sections to create artificial gravity. Some ships had "artificial gravity emitters" probably because the rule-of-cool was starting to take hold (and I think they were considered more advanced), but still, it took more strides towards realism than a lot of shows of the era did.

Plus it was a good show to boot Posted Image.

P.S. The Starfury is IMO, still one of the coolest starfighters in SciFi...Change my mind Posted Image

it goes to show that realism isnt a bad thing. i also liked that it leveraged clarke's 3rd law with regards to the older races. of course shoot that up with speed and you got the expanse. it was also full of great characters and had some awesome writing. nasa even liked the starfury design so much that they asked jms if they could copy it. he said yes so long as they are called starfuries. still waiting on those nasa.

#60 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

View PostBombast, on 17 April 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Do they ever use X-Ray bombs in Expanse? I can't get past episode 3 myself, don't know if they allow the use of nukes in space in universe.

their main weapons are pretty much point defence cannons (think phalanx system that the navy uses) to take out missiles and for cqb, railguns to be used directly against other ships in cqb, and missiles for long range. the missiles can be either plasma or nuclear (both are used).

improvised kinetic weapons are sometimes used by the belters. they also did use a laser in the last season but that was a retrofitted comms laser that was never meant for combat. in the latter books they get antimatter weapons (that's at least 3 seasons out if the show stays on that long).

Edited by LordNothing, 17 April 2019 - 08:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users