Soo... Thoughts On The Marauder Ii?

BattleMechs

148 replies to this topic

#141 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

My initial loadout for my MAD-5A was 6 Medium Lasers and a UAC/20 with a Light 350 Engine. Decent firepower, but utterly frustrating in snipe fest since there's no long range reach.

Then I tried a twin LB-10X with six Medium Lasers. It felt... lacking for some reason.

My current loadout trades out the LB-10Xs for a single LB-20X (had to downgrade to standard 300 engine to fit it in), and uses the freed up tonnage to upgrade two lasers to ER Large Lasers. It runs ridiculously hot if I'm not careful, and has no endurance for face to face slugging match as it's more a peekaboo fighter. But in my experience, if I get into a face to face slugging match, I'd lose anyway no matter what config I'm running,

#142 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Marauder II? I hate it.
No I don’t own it or played it. I don’t know any builds for it. It is not that they kill me much - I hate them... when they are on MY team.

Why? Because they are so clumsy and tend to bump into me and get in my way (playing other assults). Something in its geometry makes it block the way much more than an Atlas or Annihilator. Maybe it’s the wings that protrude from the rear section that snag on to nearby mechs? Maybe simply the huge *** that sticks backwards? I really don’t know, but they do get in my way more than other assults.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 25 April 2019 - 12:03 PM.

#143 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 25 April 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

*snip*

So you hate the Marauder II because of your own lack of situational awareness and the mistaken belief that you're somehow more important and worthy of space than they are?

If you're having issues with getting snagged on their geometry, keep your distance from them.

#144 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

Not a fan of the Marauder IIs with the energy/ballistic cannon from the RT - its so easy to shoot at that and hit CT hitbox which makes no sense

So I like the 4HP - can do pretty much anything you could want with missiles - SRM/MRM/LRM boat or a mix of any of those. It all feels pretty good.

4L for the ECM and ability to PPFLD 40 damage from long range

and the hero Alpha because the UAC10s in the arms combined with an MRM launcher feels like a good DPS balance

#145 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostChiasson Brinker, on 25 April 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

So you hate the Marauder II because of your own lack of situational awareness and the mistaken belief that you're somehow more important and worthy of space than they are?

If you're having issues with getting snagged on their geometry, keep your distance from them.

What? Did I step on your toes? Also, a spectacular misreading of what I wrote.

Thanks for the obvious advice. I do keep my distance from them and also reserve the right to complain about it.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 26 April 2019 - 08:36 AM.

#146 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostChiasson Brinker, on 25 April 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

He hates it because all but one variant is an almighty waste of space and the more you have on your team, the more likely you are to lose. Most of those variants are a liability and the SRM bomber 4HP is hardly the scariest 100 tonner you will ever meet.

#147 Rosh87

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 26 April 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

He hates it because all but one variant is an almighty waste of space and the more you have on your team, the more likely you are to lose. Most of those variants are a liability and the SRM bomber 4HP is hardly the scariest 100 tonner you will ever meet.

I kind of agree with Ricky here. I got the ultimate pack, and have tried them all - but they seem....somewhat...ehhhh ? (shrug). I do much better in MWO with Ballistics focused mechs, I've found, and the massive Energy slant on most of the variants messes with my preferred style. The one I do pretty well in (comparatively) is the one with Ballistics up top. I put two Rac-5's on, IIRC -and have Medium ER lasers in the arms and that is "decent". But still not "amazing" or anything, and outshined by most of my other Assaults, match-for-match.

I figure something is odd when I can typically produce significantly better results with the Marauder "heavies" - match-for-match, then I do with most of these Marauder-2 "assaults". Perhaps some quirk changes are in order or - if nothing else - they Must stop that Top Cannon from being CT zone, when they hit it (so easy to KO these things if you are even slightly above them, just by firing into that gun - or when they try to 'peek' over hills).

* also - I should add that I find it really frustrating that adding ANY guns to the Side Torso hardpoints results in you getting the "Gigantic" Top Cannon being placed on - 1st ! You cannot evade this ridiculous oversized-shoot-me-here housing either. I thought perhaps it was tied to the size of the weapon you stick up there (like it might make sense for a Heavy PPC)...but no...you can put a SMALL Laser up there, and (if memory serves) the game will generate it inside the "Giant Cannon" on top. Changing how that works could also be an appealing change, at some point (dunno enough about PGI to know if they would ever alter that or not - as I'm still quite new to the game).

#148 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

In its current state the mech either needs more agility, more durability, or a small mixture of both. As it stands the mech is lacking and is outright underperforming when compared to other choices. I believe the PGI design team banked on the frontal profile benefits too hard for this mech.

#149 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:14 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 26 April 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Well no, not exactly what I said.
I don’t mind non-meta mechs/builds in my team. What I said was that MAD IIs collide with me / me with them more than the other 100 ton assults. I am not sure if this is geometry or simply because they are currently being driven by many players who usually don’t play Assults. Just an impression that I get and it is annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users