100 replies to this topic

#1 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:19 AM

Well since founding this game at its beginning the game had some good mechanics stripped of it.
These 3 things i would like to see implemented again considering the game is well worked and bugs in networking that have been sorted.

Bring back weapon convergence for certain weapons and grouping of lasers, ballistic ect, This would help with pin point alpha problem. This would help making the game a simulation.

The collision would surely work these days. It was awesome seeing an atlas pick itself up from the floor.

Repair & re-arm was a cool feature as it forced players not to boat heavily & run cost effective mechs & use tactics. Players would actually surrender on the battlefield and allowed to finish the match intact.

The game as i see it is polished, They are making loads of money with this rinse and repeats of mechs and skins ect. Why not finish off the game with the intended mechanics they turned off.

Edited by Xenois Shalashaska, 18 April 2019 - 02:31 AM.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:39 AM

Repair and rearm was a dumb mechanic that punished people for not being good at the game. It would lead to nothing but the top players in the game having continually fresh metas and lower skilled players continually fielding barely functioning garbage.

#3 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:06 AM

R&R wasnt good but it lives on in spirit, in the form of consumables.

Collision was dumb before, though being virtually off is also pretty dumb - love having those sumo matches between two out of ammo mechs trying to micro damage each other to death.

Weapon convergence is one thing that should have stayed the old way - perfect pinpoint call of duty accuracy has been one of the biggest issues MWO has had leading to all sorts of bad playstyles (poptarts, hill humping, ppc boating, ect ect) instead of convergence returning in any shape or form we got a slew of really ugly bandaid fixes - ghost heat, jump jet shake, gauss charge, and quirks to help failing mechs get on par with natural op types.

Also that video earned a dislike, who disables playback on other websites? Posted Image

#4 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:13 AM

Don't know about knockdown (we really don't want to see a match where one team has a single guy left and all he's doing is picking himself up for 10 minutes), but collision needs to be looked at.

If I manage to jump an assault up into the air and come down on your head and shoulders, I should damage more than just my legs. Those of us that played TT know that sometimes a piloting skill can be more useful than a gunnery skill.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:20 AM

Random convergence or COF is dumb too.

This game doesn't have anything in common with COD other than shooting things. They play completely differently.

#6 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

Dudes, this is what i am saying. Everyone thinks the old style collisions were bad. YES THEY WERE...... game is polished now, lets try and re-implement a different way of collisions, maybe not so aggressive will bowling over mechs, how about a serious stumble ?

Convergence is definitely needed 100% to eliminate high alpha mechs and bring skill back into piloting.

R&R as before was punishing losers over winners, how about when they allowed 75% free ammo refill if you couldn't pay. Could allow the same thing for damaged armour and internals at 50% for free.

Not everything has to be cut throat to be un fun, just to a certain balance.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:51 AM

Without a campaign R&R was useless.

Knockdowns were to easily abused. But maybe an increase of collision damage could do the trick.

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:52 AM

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 18 April 2019 - 03:43 AM, said:

Convergence is definitely needed 100% to eliminate high alpha mechs and bring skill back into piloting.

So lock on weapons become king, "high alpha" gameplay actually reigns supreme.

Sounds lame.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:27 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 April 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

Sounds lame.

Nah, just take away everyones built in C3 shared lock on crap - get your own damn locks or find someone with tag/narc, or actually put the C3 equipment in.

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:32 AM

That doesn't change anything about what I said.

Free C3 is honestly one of the best decisions they made when adapting the board game.

#11 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:36 AM

R&R hurts new/infrequent/bad players more than anyone.

I've got over 100 million cbills, and I'm good enough that I earn enough cbills to use multiple consumables each match and not make a dent.

Nothing about R&R is good for the game.

#12 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:46 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 April 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

That doesn't change anything about what I said.

Free C3 is honestly one of the best decisions they made when adapting the board game.

Certainly disagree on that point - but there isn't much point in hypothesizing over what C3 could or could not have done for the game, we are already too deeply immured in the land of PPFL where gimpy bandaid fixes have tried to keep us on this path such as laser burn, ghost heat, jump jet shake, jump jet nerf, engine desync.....ect ect.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

Where did I mention IDF?

If you add COF or random spread the lock on weapons all become the easiest and most reliable weapons to use. Larger the tube count the better.

Beyond that the mechs with the tightest grouped hardpoints are now the best. GG, an even shallower pool of viable choices with a side of extremely stale gameplay.

#14 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

You have been hanging out in the 'happy fun time missile thread' too much proto your looking to much into everything others say.

Not even sure where you got full COF/RNG from - I was referring to the old convergence system from way back in the day, I know it was before your time but basically it was sort of like lock on for direct fire weapons, the longer you had your crosshairs on the target the greater your convergence - it was pretty quick though didnt take long to get pin point accuracy but if you were flicking and shooting or stuff like that the damage wouldnt be as focused.

Still not entirely sure why we moved away from that system, other than that mechs were much twitchier back then maybe.

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 18 April 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

I was referring to the old convergence system from way back in the day,

I know exactly what you're talking about. It was garbage, unfun, and broken. Thats why its gone.

#16 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

No mention of COF or random spread here : Everything in mounted in arms works as it currently does. ( pin point as long as you have targetted what you are shooting at ) Everyting mounted in torso location shoots straight ahead, in parallel lines. Alpha strike protocol disables all safeties and targetting procedures to just "dump" as much damage down range as possible = everything shoots straight ahead, in parallel, following the facing of your mech.

Mechs with high arm mounted HP count are at an advantage in precision but not in durability. Arms are less armored than other body parts. ( shoot the arms off those Novas and Nova Cats.. they are huge anyway )

Mechs with chest mounted Hardpoints ( say Banshee, Fafnir, Dire Wolf, etc ) will have to use smaller groupings of clustered weapons OR chainfire their torso weapons on the same spot on target using their own aiming skills. End result, the "broadside through the eye of a needle" issue is gone. That Fafnir can still fire both its HGR at once but needs to accept that they are likely going to each hit a different side torso on that Atlas in front of him.

Ghost heat and jump shake become obsolete...

(Don't get me started on Jump Mechanics... Space Marine, of all things did it right. Please adapt this to MWO ;) )

#17 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

View PostChapeL, on 18 April 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

No mention of COF or random spread here : Everything in mounted in arms works as it currently does. ( pin point as long as you have targetted what you are shooting at ) Everyting mounted in torso location shoots straight ahead, in parallel lines. Alpha strike protocol disables all safeties and targetting procedures to just "dump" as much damage down range as possible = everything shoots straight ahead, in parallel, following the facing of your mech.

Mechs with high arm mounted HP count are at an advantage in precision but not in durability. Arms are less armored than other body parts. ( shoot the arms off those Novas and Nova Cats.. they are huge anyway )

Mechs with chest mounted Hardpoints ( say Banshee, Fafnir, Dire Wolf, etc ) will have to use smaller groupings of clustered weapons OR chainfire their torso weapons on the same spot on target using their own aiming skills. End result, the "broadside through the eye of a needle" issue is gone. That Fafnir can still fire both its HGR at once but needs to accept that they are likely going to each hit a different side torso on that Atlas in front of him.

Ghost heat and jump shake become obsolete...

(Don't get me started on Jump Mechanics... Space Marine, of all things did it right. Please adapt this to MWO Posted Image )

This would be an interesting mechanic and it would turn the meta on its head quite a bit. I think you'd see mechs dying by a thousand cuts a lot more often. I doubt we'd ever see it, but I think this could be fun.

#18 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostWolfos31, on 18 April 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

This would be an interesting mechanic and it would turn the meta on its head quite a bit. I think you'd see mechs dying by a thousand cuts a lot more often. I doubt we'd ever see it, but I think this could be fun.

No Mechs did die as fast as they did now.
The difference was that cover was usually a problem for you because of the delay. So the other guy had you ranged before you had eyes on him.
However it was possible to use partial cover (Atlas) you could stood next to a wall with our right hip and arm exposed, and still with a lock-you could shoot the other guy even with your crosshair on the wall.

Snap Fire Alpha was harder without proper aim, so that awful cover foxtrot game was usually stupid, hill humping (Stalker) not so much.

#19 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:43 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 April 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

Repair and rearm was a dumb mechanic that punished people for not being good at the game. It would lead to nothing but the top players in the game having continually fresh metas and lower skilled players continually fielding barely functioning garbage.

In other words the way it happens in RL and actual PvP games where there are no safezones?

View PostPrototelis, on 18 April 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

Think of all the buffs to lock-on crap that happened in 5 years. Now roll all that back and tell me whos "king" then lol

#20 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:46 AM

View PostChapeL, on 18 April 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

No mention of COF or random spread here : Everything in mounted in arms works as it currently does. ( pin point as long as you have targetted what you are shooting at ) Everyting mounted in torso location shoots straight ahead, in parallel lines.

So you just want everyone to buy an MCII B?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users