#21 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostObeyTheLion, on 19 April 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

You don't need a minimum range indicator.

Besides, if you equip a weapon system that has a minium range, you can go into the testing grounds any time to see where the minimum range of said weapon system is.

Same goes for damage, heat, cooldown, optimal range, maximum etc. might as well remove all the info tabs from the lab...

#22 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostTalorien, on 23 April 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

+100

Not providing the minimum range in the Mechlab stats is just poor design.

Huh. I was going to say they do and post screenshots to prove it, But when I went to take actual screen shots, I suddenly discovered that you were right. No minimum ranges were listed even though I could have sworn they were there before. Weird.

#23 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

I would just be happy if I could read the enemy's range in my targeting HUD display. I know it's there, but I'm partially color blind. Mostly in the color hues of red and yellow. Which, of course is the 2 colors on the IS HUD, and still the targeted mech's info color (red) on the clan HUD.

Some backgrounds (map colors) completely wipe out the HUD for me, as not enough contrast for me to see it.

Sure wish there was a way to change the HUD targeting colors in game.

Maybe if PGI tried playing a few matches with their HUDs turned off, they might gain some perspective on how frustrating this can be.

Ok, sorry, rant over.

#24 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 27 April 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

Maybe if PGI tried playing a few matches with their HUDs turned off, they might gain some perspective on how frustrating this can be.

Don't give them ideas. We might lose the HUD entirely and have to guess where the crosshairs would be because they aren't there any more.

#25 Talorien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

View Postevilauthor, on 26 April 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

Huh. I was going to say they do and post screenshots to prove it, But when I went to take actual screen shots, I suddenly discovered that you were right. No minimum ranges were listed even though I could have sworn they were there before. Weird.

You know, you may be right, perhaps it was in a previous ATM text description?

Regular PPCs still state 90m min. range in the text description, maybe that's what we're recalling?

#26 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

how about if they actually listed a numerical value for minimum range on applicable weapons in the mechlab.. Some ditzy lil graph that really doesnt tell you much at all is no help whatever in accurately finding the needed information..

#27 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

Right now really the primary thing we want is a real time clock. 6 years of game play we still don't have a clock that tells us what time it is.

I play Star Trek online I have a clock in the right screen corner that tells me what time it is. Why can't I get that in MechWarrior online.

If you don't know the minimum or maximum range of your weapons you shouldn't be on the battlefield.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 30 April 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#28 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:59 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 30 April 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

If you don't know the minimum or maximum range of your weapons you shouldn't be on the battlefield.

Show me a place in MWO where it explicitly states the range brackets for damage for ATMs then. That chart gives you a rough idea of how they work (max damage close, but does have min range, and then steps down as you move away from target).

It's piss poor design to force the player to go to a website or other source for information on a weapon system in your game. While a min range indicator on the HUD in your mech would be very nice, I'd be less salty if they provided this information consistently in the mechlab. They do not.

#29 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

The range marking should be listed and dynamic.

What about skills like +1 range.

Now I know it extends the maximum range and the effective range as well but does this effect the minimum range and make it smaller or larger. (i know it doesnt, but it could)
For weapons with a minimum range or ATM's with variable damage ranges taking a +1 range totally changes the stats for these weapons.

#30 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

How the range skill and minimum range work together is indeed an interesting question. I never thougth about it but min range should stay the same.

#31 Talorien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 30 April 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

Erm, how are new players supposed to know what a weapon's min. range is?

#32 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:39 AM

This just wreaks of more hand holding.

#33 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostGrus, on 03 May 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

This just wreaks of more hand holding.

Why? Providing information to the player is part of a game designer's job. Even if there isn't an indicator in game during matches the LEAST they can do is provide clear info on range brackets in the mechlab. Bonus points for being updated with skill nodes.

#34 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 03 May 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

Why? Providing information to the player is part of a game designer's job. Even if there isn't an indicator in game during matches the LEAST they can do is provide clear info on range brackets in the mechlab. Bonus points for being updated with skill nodes.

Min range is stated in mechlab when you put the dang thing on your mech... that's plenty of information.

#35 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:13 PM

View PostGrus, on 03 May 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

Min range is stated in mechlab when you put the dang thing on your mech... that's plenty of information.

Screenshot of something not from the PPC family?

#36 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

I think the PPC is the last one where its in the discription. For all others there is the graph but thats more an guessing game then realy stating the minmal range.

You could also argue that the graph gives you the range and damage so take that out of the data given above, when you think telling players the min range is handholding, then damage and max range gives as clear numbers is also handholding. You can go to the testing grounds and find it out there too.

I don't know what there is much to discuss about it. All other information is given, this one is missing and its an importend value for new players to be known and looking at steam or was it Jarls list we still have about 2000 new people per season.
I think they deserve a chance to get to know the game without hindrance by keeping importand informations from them.
Learning how do work with the mechlab and piloting is allready quite a task compared to the everyday shooter.
I just had someone yesterday looking over my shoulder when I was switching stuff around in the mechlab without know it. When I noticed that someone was standing behind me the only comment I got was "to complicated, I don't even want to understand what you are doing".
Frankly the mechlab for the none Battletech player kills the game as soon as they try to make their first configuration and fail hard at it.
I think the reason for that isn't that those people need handholding but a good tutorial and every bit of information about how each part works together.

#37 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Is it though?

This is an entire thread asking for the minimum range to be explicitly listed in mech lab.

Edited by Maddermax, 03 May 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#38 Talorien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

Where, exactly, is it stated for ATMs and Rocket Launchers? (Or anything else not a PPC?)

#39 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostTalorien, on 26 April 2019 - 06:15 AM, said:

Great question, anyone know?

Btw ATM min range is 120m. This is extremely opaque in-game.

And range skills/quirks affect minimum range for some weapons but don't seem to for others.

Rockets, ATMs, I think HPPC all get obviously affected, while I'm still unsure about the impact of range quirks on LRM minimum range.

That shouldn't happen, minimum ranges are not meant to be flexible and shouldn't be inconsistent from mech to mech.

View PostTalorien, on 11 May 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

Where, exactly, is it stated for ATMs and Rocket Launchers? (Or anything else not a PPC?)

There isn't, though it will show you where minimum range is on the range graph if you look at it. The problem is that it is a tiny, lightly graduated graph that doesn't show the exact figure.

#40 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

I assume that all the top players turn off their HUD the second they can and DOMINATE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users