Anyone Else Wanting To Get Back Into Fp, But Not Join Unit?

23 replies to this topic

#1 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

I have been in several units since Closed Beta. Yea, been playing that long. Units included Devil Dogs, CWI, MS, 77BW, SA and a couple of smaller ones. I quit playing FP once it got jacked the hell up. However, I am willing to give Paul one last time to unfuck what was ****** up.

So I will be looking to join FP, but not a unit. I am sick of the BS drama that is in all units. So I will stick with the unit of two I am in. Me and my son. I know MS has their own channel and I used to hang out on the FRR hub a lot as well. Not sure if these channels are still on TS, moved to Discord or what.

Anyone else wanting to Pug it with a group, but not join a large unit?

#2 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

I joined a unit for two whole weeks out of my 3 years of playing FP .

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

I've been in units since I started MWO... 1 of them was drama llama's - the first one.

The other two have been zero drama for 2.5 years or so now. Just need to find a good crew.

#4 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

PUG for life!

I was waiting for so long for PGI to deliver the lore units (the alternative to a "mercenary units" we now have as THE units), that i spent so much time as a PUG, and kinda stuck. And i'm totally ok with this.
Also back into the game only because of the CW update.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 22 April 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

I am sick of the BS drama that is in all units. So I will stick with the unit of two I am in. Me and my son. I know MS has their own channel and I used to hang out on the FRR hub a lot as well. Not sure if these channels are still on TS, moved to Discord or what.

Dude,

First, there are still a few on the FRR/KuritaTS hub, but most don't play CW. I believe most of the CW playing units are in discord now.

Second, there is still "drama" in CW and in units? Please expound. Perhaps, if your stories of "drama" are intriguing enough, I can get the others I drop with in GQ regularly to give CW a try again. It was the nerd politics and unit "drama" that made the mode worth playing (as a filthy casual anyway) back in the day. I'd love it if there were some motivation sufficient to get my fellow drunk/casuals to give the mode another shot these days.

Edited by Bud Crue, 22 April 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#6 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 22 April 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Dude,

First, there are still a few on the FRR/KuritaTS hub, but most don't play CW. I believe most of the CW playing units are in discord now.

Second, there is still "drama" in CW and in units? Please expound. Perhaps, if your stories of "drama" are intriguing enough, I can get the others I drop with in GQ regularly to give CW a try again. It was the nerd politics and unit "drama" that made the mode worth playing (as a filthy casual anyway) back in the day. I'd love it if there were some motivation sufficient to get my fellow drunk/casuals to give the mode another shot these days.

Milked the drama for all it was worth the first few phases of CW. Once the drama was over the fun was gone. Last real game play for me was early 2017. Seems so far away now. I have the nostalgia just not the will nor the priority to jump back for more than rando drops every once in a while. Let me know when MW5 is out with proper mods. :)

#7 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 22 April 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Milked the drama for all it was worth the first few phases of CW. Once the drama was over the fun was gone. Last real game play for me was early 2017. Seems so far away now. I have the nostalgia just not the will nor the priority to jump back for more than rando drops every once in a while. Let me know when MW5 is out with proper mods. Posted Image

The most important mod: decent AI, will never be implemented. Think what Tier 5 pilots are like, and lower the bar by 50%.

#8 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

What is a unit? Solo drop, play well, get friend and group invites. Easy.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

how is that different from what i already do?

#10 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 22 April 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

Clearly, you are an elitist who wants to ban pugs from MWO.

#11 Fuerchtenichts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 280 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:14 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 22 April 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

View PostRoland09, on 24 April 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Clearly, you are an elitist who wants to ban pugs from MWO.

Utilizing typical RL social behavior really sounds weird.

Edited by Fuerchtenichts, 25 April 2019 - 12:14 AM.

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:27 AM

Personally, I'm willing to drop with anyone who's not a LRM hater.. that's really my only criteria.. don't be a douche and dis people for using LRMs, and whenever I'm on and wanna group up.. I'm down for group play..

I think that the "drama" that the OP is talking about is basically this exact issue.. I know such things, as well as comp Vs casual tendencies, is what killed original CWI..

When people take it upon themselves to tell others what exact mech and build they MUST bring if they wanna drop with them, units die pretty quickly..

The point of a unit is teamwork, not tyranny..

#13 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:26 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 April 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

Personally, I'm willing to drop with anyone who's not a LRM hater.. that's really my only criteria.. don't be a douche and dis people for using LRMs, and whenever I'm on and wanna group up.. I'm down for group play..

I think that the "drama" that the OP is talking about is basically this exact issue.. I know such things, as well as comp Vs casual tendencies, is what killed original CWI..

When people take it upon themselves to tell others what exact mech and build they MUST bring if they wanna drop with them, units die pretty quickly..

The vast majority of units dont have the skill level to allow themselves to drop in whatever, so they overcome by bringing deck synergy and working together. That is in fact teamwork when they use organization to overcome lack of personal skill. Your definition of teamwork is everyone working for you and what you want to do, hence you will always have trouble finding good groups to drop with. There's no I in team :)

#14 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

Same. I've been working really hard trying to improve my LRM play, it's far more challenging positionally versus meta try hard jokes. I have to deal with flanks, suppression of the enemy, sacrificing heat sinks or ammo for backup weapons that I never really use.

I wish teams would stop talking down to me when I try. Maybe we be friends and work together Velleron2005

Edited by McGoat, 25 April 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#15 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:35 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 25 April 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

Same. I've been working really hard trying to improve my LRM play, it's far more challenging positionally versus meta try hard jokes. I have to deal with flanks, suppression of the enemy, sacrificing heat sinks or ammo for backup weapons that I never really use.

I wish teams would stop talking down to me when I try. Maybe we be friends and work together Velleron2005

LOL I needed this today Posted Image

#16 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

I only play lurms, it’s really easy to make friends when I kindly ask them to hold locks for me so I can sit at 960 meters and avoid taking any fire.

#17 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 25 April 2019 - 06:26 AM, said:

The vast majority of units dont have the skill level to allow themselves to drop in whatever, so they overcome by bringing deck synergy and working together. That is in fact teamwork when they use organization to overcome lack of personal skill. Your definition of teamwork is everyone working for you and what you want to do, hence you will always have trouble finding good groups to drop with. There's no I in team Posted Image

Standing Ovation from me on that one.

Well said.

You wanna play 'my way' in a Team match, you're never going to find groups easily. It's just common bloody sense.

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

"BUT THERE IS ME IN TEAM" - Lurmers

#19 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

It's not the lrms people hate, but rather parasitic behaviour that some lurmers are famous for.

#20 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:31 AM

View PostRustyBolts, on 22 April 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

I have been in several units since Closed Beta. Yea, been playing that long. Units included Devil Dogs, CWI, MS, 77BW, SA and a couple of smaller ones. I quit playing FP once it got jacked the hell up. However, I am willing to give Paul one last time to unfuck what was ****** up.

So I will be looking to join FP, but not a unit. I am sick of the BS drama that is in all units. So I will stick with the unit of two I am in. Me and my son. I know MS has their own channel and I used to hang out on the FRR hub a lot as well. Not sure if these channels are still on TS, moved to Discord or what.

Anyone else wanting to Pug it with a group, but not join a large unit?

FP in a pug is a completely different animal than with a unit. Hell, even a PUG with someone actually using comms is completely different.

Don't go into a PUG match expecting everyone to have optimized builds or even a plan to stick together. You will have everything from people actually trying to run out of mechs before everyone else to elite, world class LRM masters on every single map.

The best thing you can do is try to figure out how to make them useful....to "put the potatoes to work for you," as it were. Swap out your strikes for UAVs and drop NARC on your lights and/or mediums. If you give them something to shoot at, they'll fill the air with skill until the NARC wears off or the target dies. The trick is to keep them gainfully employed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users