#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 328 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

So here's something pretty small and inconsequential that's bothered me since first starting playing: The Paper Doll facing.

Check this out. This is a random image I found somewhere since I didn't have any screenshots of myself playing with someone else targeted. (Below)

Note that the enemy's paper doll is faced the right way. His back has his left side on the left and his right side on the right. His front side has his right side on the left (since he's facing us), and the left side on the right. This is good. It's instinctual.

However, when you look at the player's paper doll in the lower left corner, the back is correct (in terms of left/right), but the front is backwards. It says left under the right arm and right under the left arm. That's really weird and off-putting. Don't know if anyone's mentioned this before.

I'd recommend showing the player's paper doll front side just like you would with a targeted enemy, as if the paper doll was facing the viewer, so the front side has the right side of the mech on the left side and the left side of the mech on the right side. Basically reverse the L and R on the 'Front' side of the paper's paper doll.

Posted Image

Edited by Renzor the Red, 05 May 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

Its usual a **** show when they change the UI (as they did with the mini map (almost the worst decision ever made)

We asked for a configurable UI for years, so no pls no change to the UI.

Its the hit locations display is logical how when you think about it.

For the enemy ... you will have this layout when you shoot at an enemy.. when you see the front and want to shoot at the right torso its left from the center, if you see his rear its at the right from the center - as it is shown in the display.

And for your own mech - its even more compelling reason that both armor diagrams have the same direction.
When you are hit into the left torso (either from the rear or from the front, the left torso diagram will bling, and you know to turn left.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

I disagree as the players paper doll is from the players perspective Left is same front and back
As the player is looking away from themselves and not at them selves like in the mirror

But for enemy player paper doll player is looking at enemy and if looking at enemy front and back left and right on different sides and makes sense if your are in front or behind you can use the front or behind enemy paper doll

But for the player , they never look at own back from behind, so left and right same for front or back as player can only look forward

More intuitive IMO

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 06 May 2019 - 05:52 AM.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

The paper doll is correct; it is intuitive if you don't overthink it - which is almost a tautological (and thus invalid) definition, but hey. The paper dolls always show damage locations from your point of view.. If you're expecting your paper doll to be a mirror image - thus forcing you to mentally visualize it as a mirror image - you're actually asking to be put through another cognitive step.

To put it another way, the enemy's frontal damage locations are mirror-imaged because his left- and right-hand sides will change relative to your PoV depending on if he's facing away from you or toward you. But your own PoV never changes - your right and left will always be your right and left no matter where you're facing.

#5 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

Your left is on your left,
Your right is on your right...
You are looking at the ennemy

Ennemy left is on your right
Ennemy right is on your left
Ennemy is facing you.

Ennemy back left on your left
Ennemy back right on your right
Ennemy face the same as you

Nah definitely correct as stated before. You just overthinked.

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 06 May 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#6 Zancross

Rookie

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

I like how it is now. I understand your logic and reasoning, but in the middle of a fire fight, i fell the current setup is easier to understand on the fly.

#7 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 328 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

I can see what you guys mean about it being instinctual. I never notice it in the heat of action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users