#41 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

10% of nothing is still nothing...

Thus mobility tree is a utter waste of time.

but its not nothing, its significantly more than nothing.

i can get all the speed tweek nodes and most of the torso speed nodes and still have enough points left over to get my range to 1008 meters. its not like i need to get anything on the left side of the offensive tree either.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 May 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#42 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 May 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

If you're going to UAC10/5 you wanna run it something like DWF-A

I tried that last night in a couple of games. I did around ~450 damage and got a kill or so before dying. It is much better than my first build, that's for sure. I just need to commit to DPS oriented playstyle on this mech instead of outright burst killing like I used to do with my Kraken long ago. Just let my team do their thing and while I stay in a secure spot with good LOS and let rip.

View Postjjm1, on 16 May 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Run it with a 100 point alpha. At least you can injure one of the twelve mechs your fighting alone.

Yeah, my initial build was 2 UAC10 + 1 UAC20 + 1 LBX20 with 100 damage double-tap Alpha strike. Problem was getting into position and surviving the race. I'd do 170-odd damage and get 2 kills or KMDD or something but that nonsense would get old really fast. Getting hit by every enemy and being left alone with 100 damage alpha strike does nothing unfortunately.

#43 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:55 AM

5 minutes ago.... saw a Dire-Pup with 20 damage, sigh…. Posted Image
That's why I said they are a waste of Tonnage in Quick-Play. Of Course they can be good in Group Queue where you can rely on your Team, but this is not the case in Nascar-Queue....

#44 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 May 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

I recently bought the Dire Wolf UV. I tried a few builds in the testing grounds and decided to go with 2x UAC10 + 1 UAC20 + 1 LBX20 for 100 damage alpha strike. I stripped some armour off to make it viable but it wasn't that bad of a loss of armour.

Anyway, I've had a couple of good games in it where I easily cracked 900+ damage in maps like the Bog and Caustic Valley but in every other map, I can barely get into position before I'm dead. I can't even unleash two alpha strikes 'cause I'm not in position. The worst maps are Hibernal and Mining. The speed is just too slow for the mech to keep up with the movement and that kind of firepower active. So, I'm back in the drawing board trying to figure out how to effectively do damage.

2 UAC10 and 3 UAC5 is easily doable with enough ammo after getting the required skill nodes and I don't have to shave a lot of armour. I could try 3 UAC10 and 2 UAC5 for 5 more damage but have to shave armour. But with all UAC weapons, they're unreliable.

I've heard of LBX60 builds and I've tried that, which is how I came to going with my first build. But maybe the LBX builds are better overall?

I know about the 8 AC2/LBX2/UAC2 builds as well. I'm not overly sure about them either 'cause I've done a similar thing on my Mauler, albeit it was "only" 6x dakka and I was extremely underwhelmed by it. I get that you're there to shred the enemies but I'm not fancying doing that when getting hit and I have to fight my way out of the situation while doing only tiny instances of damage.

I bought and sold a Direwolf last week (my first and last slow boy). Got sick of being left behind to die in the NASCAR.

9/10 matches I died before doing over 200dmg.

I can do over 200 in about any random light mech, even in a bad match.

I've been left behind in a Timberwolf too, but at least at 81kph you have a slight chance to catch up as long as you don't actually try to stop and shoot, but just run blindly into the rotatoe

Y'all should check out the NASCAR thread... Posted Image

#45 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

nascar certainly is diresbane. thats why speed tweak is essential. at 52 kph, and with good map knowledge, you have a good chance at keeping up well enough to be useful. still in qp you will find yourself maneuvering into position more than fighting.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 May 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#46 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

How the hell do you get left behind in a timberwolf??

I don't even...

I rarely pilot assaults for many of the "reasons" listed previously. But as a mostly medium mech player (80% of the time probably), I can tell you I'm sick to death of the assault pilots that SIT THERE when the match starts, and do absolutely NOTHING for the first minute of the match. They. Just. Sit. There.

Get your slow-@zz @zzes MOVING when the match starts. As the old Van Halen song goes "you got to hit the ground running". As soon as your fat @zz feet hit the ground, you better be mashing that forward stick into the firewall. Get. Moving.

I will normally sweep through your assault (Charlie) lance once the match starts, to pick up any assaults that are actually moving (depending on map/spawn points). But if I come through there, and you're just sitting there making bunny shapes out of clouds, or seeing how many knuckles deep you can get your fingers in your exhaust port, or inspecting belly button lint (or whatever it is you guys are doing), then I'm going to just keep on trucking, and... Leave. Your. @zz. There.

And if the assault driver wants to start a firing line, or pick a location spot? Ok, talk it over in comms, as soon as the match starts. Lets hear a PLAN. Sometimes even a DUMB plan is better than no plan (sometimes, lol). But most of the time, nothing. Nada. No speaks, no plans, just sometimes bitching when they die. I'm not a mind reader. Tell me your "plan". If it doesn't sound incredibly STUPID, I'll give it a try. What the heck, it's only a game. Not like we even have perma-death here anyway.

#47 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 18 May 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

And if the assault driver wants to start a firing line, or pick a location spot? Ok, talk it over in comms, as soon as the match starts. Lets hear a PLAN. Sometimes even a DUMB plan is better than no plan (sometimes, lol). But most of the time, nothing. Nada. No speaks, no plans, just sometimes bitching when they die. I'm not a mind reader. Tell me your "plan". If it doesn't sound incredibly STUPID, I'll give it a try. What the heck, it's only a game. Not like we even have perma-death here anyway.

Game is almost 7 years old by now. It shouldn't need an elaborated plan to make good use of the mechs with the highest firepower on the field. The maps have not changed in ages. The chokepoints are always there. You know where the enemy team is going to be in 99 of 100 matches.

This deep into a games life cycle, the playerbase should be f*cking able to realize their assault lance consists of 4x 48 kph mechs and play accordingly. Not sacrificing the mechs with the largest share of your teams firepower should be goddamn common sense. Yet it is not. Because this community is terrible at playing videogames.

Edited by meteorol, 18 May 2019 - 06:42 AM.

#48 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 18 May 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

Game is almost 7 years old by now. It shouldn't need an elaborated plan to make good use of the mechs with the highest firepower on the field. The maps have not changed in ages. The chokepoints are always there. You know where the enemy team is going to be in 99 of 100 matches.

This deep into a games life cycle, the playerbase should be f*cking able to realize their assault lance consists of 4x 48 kph mechs and play accordingly. Not sacrificing the mechs with the largest share of your teams firepower should be goddamn common sense. Yet it is not. Because this community is terrible at playing videogames.

Nope.

The player base is terrible about communication.

And some folks are terrible about projecting blame.

Even in real combat simulations training, the communications is non-stop. And it's quality, communications, with pertinent information being transmitted in a clear and concise way.

You'd think after 7 F'N YEARS some of you players would be less afraid to speak into a mic. Why u so afraid to spekz? You haz funny voice or sumtin'?

Good comms with a somewhat competent match caller increases chances to win dramatically. It should be an assault pilot that calls the drop mostly. But it also should be that by the time you can pilot an assault, you know how to, and are yourself fairly competent at playing the game. Not always the case either.

#49 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 18 May 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Nope.

And some folks are terrible about projecting blame.

Even in real combat simulations training, the communications is non-stop. And it's quality, communications, with pertinent information being transmitted in a clear and concise way.

You'd think after 7 F'N YEARS some of you players would be less afraid to speak into a mic. Why u so afraid to spekz? You haz funny voice or sumtin'?

Good comms with a somewhat competent match caller increases chances to win dramatically. It should be an assault pilot that calls the drop mostly. But it also should be that by the time you can pilot an assault, you know how to, and are yourself fairly competent at playing the game. Not always the case either.

Realizing that your assault lance most likely does not have the speed to keep up with a nascar rotation doesn't require communication. You can actually see it in prematch screen. It's right there in front of the eyes of every single player on the team. It does not require anyone to mention it. Generally knowing the mechs and what they usually run is enough to realize it.

If you have a KC, 2 Annis and a Dire in your charlie lance, no one needs to mention that a Zimbabwe flank by Beta lance is a terrible idea. That is something that "should" be very clear and not require communication on part of the assault lance, ever.

Yet it frequently does, because this community, on average, is not able to grasp the very basic concepts of playing a pvp arena shooter (which MWO is).

Edited by meteorol, 18 May 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#50 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 18 May 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Realizing that your assault lance most likely does not have the speed to keep up with a nascar rotation doesn't require communication. You can actually see it in prematch screen. It's right there in front of the eyes of every single player on the team. It does not require anyone to mention it. Generally knowing the mechs and what they usually run is enough to realize it.

If you have a KC, 2 Annis and a Dire in your charlie lance, no one needs to mention that a Zimbabwe flank by Beta lance is a terrible idea. That is something that "should" be very clear and not require communication on part of the assault lance, ever.

Yet it frequently does, because this community, on average, is not able to grasp the very basic concepts of playing a pvp arena shooter (which MWO is).

But also, if you see this magic assault lance just go every which f*n way when the match starts, running into walls, bouncing around, splitting up and capping, and generally running around like a bunch of toddlers with loaded diapers, you know you're hosed, and it's time to move on.

You can't even keep your charlie lance together, so don't talk to me about the rest of the team. And when I dropped in my old 48 kph king crab for this event, I had ZERO difficulty keeping up with the team. ZERO. DIFFICULTY.

Gimmie a break.

It's pugs. You want coordination? You have to act like it. Maybe even talk about it. Or ask for it.

You don't have to say "don't nascar". If that's all you say, you get diddly squat. But if you say, "hey guys let's meet up at XX (grid), and we'll push when we form up", or "hey lets form a firing line at YY (grid)", I think you'd be surprised how often that would actually work.

Don't be such a wall flower. Use your comms.

Most don't. If you don't put out a plan, you don't get one. Most pug matches, there is no plan. There's also no comms going on. So you get "nascar". Because when you leave a void (no plan), it's going to get filled with something (i.e. the default plan will end up being nascar, unless you bother to try to do something different).

I don't really care either way. Keep going on the way you are. Fine. If we win, fine. If we get wiped, fine. There's another match coming up as soon as I click the button. QP + pugs is going to be what it's going to be. Especially if you make no effort to do anything about it.

#51 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 18 May 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

But also, if you see this magic assault lance just go every which f*n way when the match starts, running into walls, bouncing around, splitting up and capping, and generally running around like a bunch of toddlers with loaded diapers, you know you're hosed, and it's time to move on.

You can't even keep your charlie lance together, so don't talk to me about the rest of the team. And when I dropped in my old 48 kph king crab for this event, I had ZERO difficulty keeping up with the team. ZERO. DIFFICULTY.

Gimmie a break.

I don't wan't to sound harsh, and usually i wouldn't do this, but looking at your stats they give the impression you are having massive difficulty to keep up with anything in this game. Whatever you are doing ingame makes it significantly more likely for your team to lose than it is to win.

So maybe, you shouldn't accuse others of running around like toddlers and "move on", but play to the strength of your teams composition without someone having to particularly instruct you on it.

You don't smash your head against a wall for no reason because no one is constantly walking behind you and reminds you of the fact that smashing your head against a wall is stupid, do you?

Will communication increase chances to win? Absolutely. Herding the terribads does increase w/l. Should it be necessary to the extent it is in MWO for the match not to turn into a total sh*t show? Absolutely not. But MWOs community, on average, lacks the understanding of very basic principles of playing PVP shooters and ignores such principles if not constantly being reminded of them.

Edited by meteorol, 18 May 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#52 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:55 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 18 May 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

I don't wan't to sound harsh, and usually i wouldn't do this, but looking at your stats they give the impression you are having massive difficulty to keep up with anything in this game. Whatever you are doing ingame makes it significantly more likely for your team to lose than it is to win.

So maybe, you shouldn't accuse others of running around like toddlers and "move on", but play to the strength of your teams composition without someone having to particularly instruct you on it.

You don't smash your head against a wall for no reason because no one is constantly walking behind you and reminds you of the fact that smashing your head against a wall is stupid, do you?

Will communication increase chances to win? Absolutely. Herding the terribads does increase w/l. Should it be necessary to the extent it is in MWO for the match not to turn into a total sh*t show? Absolutely not. But MWOs community, on average, lacks the understanding of very basic principles of playing PVP shooters and ignores such principles if not constantly being reminded of them.

I'm actually surprised it took you this long. Aren't you precious...

Ah yes, stat shaming. How original. I never said I was a good player. Never said I was a mediocre player. None of that has anything to do with what we were talking about. But, if it makes you feel better... let me help you...

I recently went from Tier 8 to Tier 7. I'm pretty proud. My whole family is proud. They all stood around and watched on that fateful match when I scored a whole 25 on my match score. That pushed me over the edge, and everyone cheered. Sorry for bragging about it, but still coming off of the high.

Feel better?

Maybe this will help too...

I'm actually well north of 50 years old, wear glasses made from the discarded lenses from the Hubble space telescope, am partially color blind (in the colors of the HUD colors used in MWO, ironically enough-think playing with NO HUD), I play on a pc that is well below the min spec to be able to play MWO, my frame rate in game is never above the 'teens, and when getting hit, it drops to single digits every time.

Not looking for your sympathy. Don't need it. Don't want it.

I have a life, family, adult kid in college, full time job, plus weekends tending my farm chores.

This *game* has so very little importance in my life, I could care less.

I don't play very often, sporadically at best. Sometimes I go months in a row without a single drop. When I do drop, it's ALWAYS PUGS. The things we're speaking about? I can speak about because I'm used to playing pugs in quick play. You want to know why "x" demographic in pugs does *this* or *that*? I'm telling you why. Because that's the pool that I play in all the time. You want to know why pugs nascar? It's not because we don't have your natural innate ability to be a genius in all things gaming. Get over yourself. It's because NO ONE CALLS THE DROPS.

It doesn't take "stats" to figure that one out. I hate to be CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, but man, you really can't see the forest for the trees.

From one of the wretched, mouth breathing, underhive...

2nd Lt Steering Wheel,
Neck Beard Division,
Drool Battalion,

at your service.

#53 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 18 May 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Nope.

It is as meteorol said.

Playerbase is mostly bad. It's true. Jarls list confirms that and thus cannot be argued.

You're wrong.

#54 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 May 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

Stuff about how ungainly the DW is and what loadouts make it worth using, more or less.

Unfortunately, the DW was the first 100 ton Clan Omni released and has survived wave after wave of modification, nerfing, adjustments and other PGI random wizardry. It lost it's overall relevance before the Timber Wolf, which went through the same gauntlet of beating to death.

It only really works in situations you don't have to do much more than turn in place for, and at the longest range possible. Everything outruns and twists it. Even the Atlas is more agile. Beyond that, the most PPFLD you can manage...whichever flavor suits your play style makes it a pretty dangerous pillbox to accidentally run into.

#55 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:38 AM

I'm starting to have a few decent games in the Dire now. I need to learn more about the locations on each map than anything else when piloting this mech. I should just worry about moving to a defensible position and start throwing ammo at the enemies until I die or the match ends. I posted one screenshot in another thread about NASCAR describing this. It certainly would work better in a team with decent comms but outside of that..... let's just say that it can still work provided you worry about just hitting enemies from a good vantage point instead of chasing them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users