Ams Rewards

12 replies to this topic

#1 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Just got out of a game where I spent most of the time overheated from L-AMS. I did 800+ missile damage (no idea how much that even is, due to the vagueness of the scoreboard). I got 117k c-bills with premium time and my skill rating didn't move at all.

What's the point in even using ams when there's no reward for it? Sure, I probably saved a over a thousand points worth of missile damage but since it's a team game, we still lost. At the end of it, I got no c-bill reward, my pilot skill rating will tank using AMS boat mechs due to low damage and I had to front the cost of a kitfox and it's equipment.

Is there something I'm missing here?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

AMS does increase your match score by quite a margin, though I don't think it gives much in the way of spacebucks or ecks pee.

#3 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image
It can't be increasing my match score, otherwise my pilot rating should have gone up. It was my most efficient game yet as an AMS boat. I also got a petty 530 XP. How am I ever supposed to get 91 nodes with this XP gain per match? That would take 146 matches to max out, which would be about 2912 minutes (2.02 full days of gameplay). This was also my best game by far, due to the open map, favoring LRMs and SRMs.

I don't understand the reasoning behind these rewards, I've done far more for the team in terms of damage mitigation than I would have done as a damage dealer, even if I were to get ~750 damage, yet I'm rewarded as if I've spawned and done nothing all game.
Guess it's back to exploity 72damage alpha laser vomit mediums...

Edited by Camm2310, 19 May 2019 - 10:14 AM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

Your match score is low because your damage/kills/stuff are low. If you had at least a more normal amount of kills/damage on top of the AMS bonus then you'd be getting a much higher score.

And really you're already at Tier 1 so it's not like you're losing any progress towards a higher tier that doesn't exist.

#5 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, it's not that it matters to me at the moment if my rating goes up or down, but it just shows how pointless using AMS is. I couldn't have gotten any more damage if I tried, by doing so I would have just gotten less missile damage as I was permanently shut down from overheating. It was either doing some damage with my ppc or intercepting hundreds of damage of missile, and the option that helped my team the most got me the least reward. Christ, at least with tag and narc you get some small bonuses when teammates do damage, but with AMS i'm honestly not even sure the rewards are working right now.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

People overestimate the amount of damage saved via AMS. I did a lot of research before the recent change, so my info is pretty outdated. But before then, I was told by the most prolific lurmers that their hit rate is around 33%. Other people argued that it should be higher, so anything between 1/3 and 1/2 of those missiles you shot down would have done damage. And since it would spread over the whole Mech for the most part, you can judge for yourself how much critical damage you prevented.

Having said that, I put AMS on the majority of my Mechs and I never use LAMS, because the heat makes it not useful enough. 800ish missiles shot down is what you can produce with ca. 2 to 2 1/2 tons of AMS ammo, depending on the missiles used. So I for one tend to use AMS with ammo instead of LAMS. IIRC 7 missiles shot down will give you 1 point of match score... So if you did little to no damage yourself and just provided AMS, you produced 120MS from AMS. 800 missiles shot down is not such a huge number... My Kitfox regularly produces around 1K missiles shot down and my best score in that regard was with a Nova who shot down in excess of 1600 missiles and then still died to missile fire.

So your reward for bringing AMS is some match score as well as a better chance of winning, IF the enemy brings enough missiles to make you run out of ammo. With the LAMS that is not an issue, but the heat buildup makes it impractical.

#7 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

low dmg and defeated

what are you expecting? increase in PSR...?

Oh wait

#8 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

All i'm saying is that I sat next to teammates the entire game, constantly on the overheat threshold trying protect assaults and I got no reward for it, meaning that there's no reason to do it. I can just go spam LRM/SRMs myself and get absurd damage numbers and triple the c-bills, so why would anyone care about AMS? Don't you guys see this as detrimental to an apparent team based game?

#9 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

View PostCamm2310, on 19 May 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

All i'm saying is that I sat next to teammates the entire game-

no offense, but next time just shoot somebody. ams is nice, but it doesn't kill mechs. :)

#10 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 19 May 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

no offense, but next time just shoot somebody. ams is nice, but it doesn't kill mechs. Posted Image

Again, due to L-AMS, it was either mitigate damage or deal half that amount of damage (I only had a ppc, to support by disrupting ecm). I'm getting punished for choosing to be selfless by protecting a lot of damage instead of dealing a little damage.

#11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostCamm2310, on 19 May 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Again, due to L-AMS, it was either mitigate damage or deal half that amount of damage (I only had a ppc, to support by disrupting ecm). I'm getting punished for choosing to be selfless by protecting a lot of damage instead of dealing a little damage.

no, you get 'punished' for not playing the game, and running a bad build. sorry, sounds blunt, but it's the way it is.
but here sth to make your build at least 'less bad'
either run cool weapons to your L-ams or run B-ams to your ppc.
better yet: slap 4-6 srm6 on that thing and have some actual fun. :)

#12 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostCamm2310, on 19 May 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

1 LAMS Max, it is hot enough
not to mention using a CERPPC, ofcoz you will overheat

And that is not being selfless, that is what you get for running a really bad build.

I run my Kitfox with 2AMS+1LAMS w/1.5T of ammo, ECM, 2HML and 4LMG w/ 1.5T of ammo
Servers me well

#13 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

View PostCamm2310, on 19 May 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

It can't be increasing my match score, otherwise my pilot rating should have gone up.

It's because you lost and did sub 200dmg. AMS alone will not carry your match score.

By comparison I did in a Corsair 7A, 4AMS - 1k missile destroyed and 300dmg = approx 410 match score. This was from GroupQ last night. However I was obviously shooting, killing and doing all that over stuff over just raw AMS.

AMS rewards are like all other supplementary rewards - they are a little bit of an 'add-in'. Especially for a weapon system that requires 0 user input, it should not be massively rewarded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users