#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostHorseman, on 27 May 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

And ports didn't use to be near-identical across platforms until mid-2000s. Remember console versions of Mechwarrior 1 and 2?

Indeed

Posted Image
Posted Image

MW1 had a similar story with a different character, different base, and ultimately a different conclusion.. as well as being much more Wing Commander style. The graphics dropped polygons altogether for a more fluid 2D fake 3D setup and a LOOOOOOOOT more jumping. Seriously many of the early mechs liked to jump into the air.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Meanwhile the Japanese version kept true to the original's story but significantly improved the visuals on all the artwork except the 3D combat. But no sign of jumpy mechs. Come to think of it I don't think the 1989 PC original had jumpy mechs either.

MW2.. The original Dos, the PSX, and the Windows 95 versions are all very different, and even the Titanium edition is different (so much so its incompatible with the ghost bear legacy expansions). For example in the Dos and Win 95 version you can go into briefing rooms, roam to the mechbay, etc... similar to the MW SNES wing commander-esque setup. PSX literally just did a simple menu. There were no textures on the DOS version as far as I know, the windows 95 did a simple texture like the PSX version (but the PSX version got textured cockpits). The Titanium edition goes textured cockpits, textured mechs and vehicles and very MW3-esque graphical upgrades..although the models remain sectional constructs slapped together like the original character models of FF7 or the graphics from the FX chip on the SNES (such as Vortex,)

Anyway...

View PostHorseman, on 27 May 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

That "Mech Game" has IMO a very high likelihood to be a reveal of an Xbox port of MW5. Remember there are some people who never heard of the Mechwarrior series or Battletech franchise and only know the setting through MechAssault.

It would make no sense to change "Mechwarrior 5" to "Mech Assault" in title only.
1) Mech Assault is a fast paced action oriented series. Mechwarrior is (until MWO killed it) a mechanized combat sim.
2) Mech Assault goes for the power fantasy with floating powerups to keep health going strong and allow you to take out machines far beyond 5 times your size (MA2 final boss; battle armor versus a 200/250 ton mech with two fusion reactors). Mechwarrior as a series goes out of its way to emphasize that you can die very easily due to attrition and that survival depends heavily on managing resources (armor, ammo, heat, repairs, finances).
3) Mech Assault has every mech running 360 degrees with no issue. MW has mechs with torso twist ranges of 25 degrees to 140 at most (MWO excluded).

Basically they're nothing alike.

It would be like taking Mech Commander Gold, and rebranding it as MW6.
It doesn't work. They're nothing alike.

If you take a Star Trek and call it Star Wars Episode 9... it just doesn't work, and the two franchises have about the same amount in common. There's machines of similar appearances, some similar names.."That's a shuttlecraft" becomes "That's a fighter." "That's the Defiant" becomes "That's the Millennium Falcon." "That's a Disruptor" becomes "That's a blaster"... But in the end there's so much different and wrong with it that everything about it is gonna come out bad.

Edited by Koniving, 27 May 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#22 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Maybe I'd get it, but for now MWO is sufficient, and I think MW5 will be too.

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:50 AM

View PostHorseman, on 27 May 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

And ports didn't use to be near-identical across platforms until mid-2000s. Remember console versions of Mechwarrior 1 and 2?

I feel like MechWarrior 2 for the PlayStation/Saturn tried. It did look like MW2 at least. It's biggest failure was the map size and complexity. Sure the powerups and lack of a Mechbay were a detriment, however I think that if the maps were similar in structure and size, it would be more fondly remembered.

As someone who has the PSX version and has played through it, I can say that it still is an interesting oddity. It actually plays ok with a controller (although dual shock support would have done it wonders). There are also several configs for each mech so in general you can find a loadout that works ok. There is fun to be had with the title.

I wouldn't recommend it over the DOS version (far superior, no doubt), but if you happen to come across the PlayStation or Saturn version, and it is cheap, it is an interesting play. I'd at least recommend giving it a try.

P.S. The console version of MW2 came out VERY early in both the PlayStation and Saturn lifecycle. If the games instead came out mid generation or late generation, I do feel like they could have matched the PC version a lot closer. I think the game's timing was it's worst enemy.

#24 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 May 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

It would make no sense to change "Mechwarrior 5" to "Mech Assault" in title only.
I'm not saying that at all. What I mean is that the rumor seems to be based on overheard office conversations and isn't strictly "MechAssault" but "MechAssault/Mech Game".
The title isn't definite, so I find it plausible that someone used "MechAssault" in the context of trying to describe MW5 either to someone not acquainted with the series or due to being unfamiliar with it themselves.

#25 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

I'd be excited, Mechassault was fun even if it is completely different from Mechwarrior. The more Battletech based games the better IMO. We need as much life breathed into this franchise as possible.

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 May 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#26 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 May 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

I'm not saying that at all. What I mean is that the rumor seems to be based on overheard office conversations and isn't strictly "MechAssault" but "MechAssault/Mech Game".
The title isn't definite, so I find it plausible that someone used "MechAssault" in the context of trying to describe MW5 either to someone not acquainted with the series or due to being unfamiliar with it themselves.

I don't think that was the case ONLY because PGI has been promoting MW5:Mercs for quite some time, and without Microsoft's support (or maybe very limited support)...at least so far.

I get the impression that this is going to be a new title at E3, and if that is the case, I could definitely see a MechAssault game being announced. After all, if it is a new game, it would most likely be different than what is currently on the market/being developed. Since HBS has BattleTech as a tactical game, and PGI has FPS/Simulator games with MWO and MW5, I could see a new game being separate from that and a 3rd person action title (one fondly remembered by Xbox players) being a logical choice.

Of course, again this does hinge on whether Microsoft will announce a new game at E3 (and not simply promote MW5). Again though, if Microsoft's seemingly hands-off approach in the past is any indicator, I do think we are going to see a new game at E3. Since all this is rumor/speculation at this point, I guess we will only know for sure after E3.

I for one hope that it is a new title, and that it is a new MechAssault game. I will be crossing my fingers for that.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 28 May 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#27 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:53 AM

We'll see in two weeks.

#28 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:51 AM

Ha.. I still have the orig' game somewhere. I think. Although I never owned a console to play it on (borrowed one to play it on, Xbox was for rich kids).

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostHorseman, on 28 May 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

We'll see in two weeks.

Apparently, according to Russ they never even heard of the new Mech Assault, wasn't told anything about it, and would be happy to develop it as it would help increase interest in MWO/MW5...

But this tells me two things.
1) it's possible the leak isn't real and the name Mech Assault 3 was slapped in for fun.
2) It's pretty obvious that if Mech Assault 3 is real, Microsoft said nothing to Russ and Russ would probably have an issue with it as PGI isn't going to get anything for it.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

I hate tiwtch, once something has broadcast it's like impossible to watch again. Its a disgusting platform if you ask me.
But this is the supposed link to see it again.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432764462

Pumping MW5, rebranded or not, onto the Xbox is pretty dumb in general, as it wouldn't be an exclusive. Its unreal engine so there's nothing on it so difficult to run on PCs to warrant even considering it. There's also PGI's track record with pumping a port... let alone the stigma PGI actually has against locking the game to one console (read Dev Blog 0, the last time Microsoft insisted on that PGI almost went bankrupt)

#31 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 June 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

Apparently, according to Russ they never even heard of the new Mech Assault, wasn't told anything about it, and would be happy to develop it as it would help increase interest in MWO/MW5...

But this tells me two things.
1) it's possible the leak isn't real and the name Mech Assault 3 was slapped in for fun.
2) It's pretty obvious that if Mech Assault 3 is real, Microsoft said nothing to Russ and Russ would probably have an issue with it as PGI isn't going to get anything for it.
Uhm, it's a rumor not a leak. There's a distinction.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostHorseman, on 02 June 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

Uhm, it's a rumor not a leak. There's a distinction.

People passed it around as "Microsoft's entire E3 lineup leaked."
The OP shared the link as a leak...
and the actual page is titled "leak."

A leak is the intentional disclosure of information from a specific source, whether true or false.
A rumor is the spread of information, whether true or false, in which the information is doubtful and with no discernible source.
(Specifically: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source - Merriam-Webster)

Since the information is led back to a source, regardless of whether that source is whom they claim to be, it's a leak. Regardless of whether it is truth or a lie.

Now if someone randomly said it, and nobody could track down a source, and the first ever mention is along the lines of "somebody told me" or "I heard"... that's a rumor.

Edited by Koniving, 03 June 2019 - 12:09 AM.

#33 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 June 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

Now if someone randomly said it, and nobody could track down a source, and the first ever mention is along the lines of "somebody told me" or "I heard"... that's a rumor.

The source of this information was relaying a combination of leaks and office rumors.
He made it clear that the MA/MW information was the latter and at best uncertain:
https://www.neogaf.c...o-dump.1482022/

What Has a High Chance of Happening (Alright, this is where stuff gets interesting these are things that i'd like to consider rather high probability of happening based on what i heard/saw/conversations had - None of this is confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt)
- Section Start -
MechAssault/Mech Game - Reveal (Microsoft owns the right to MechAssault, for those who do not know. There is a VERY high chance that a new mech game has been in the works and it will be finally revealed here)

Edited by Horseman, 03 June 2019 - 12:25 AM.

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

Welp, no Mech Assault.

#35 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 June 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

Welp, no Mech Assault.

Yeah, it bummed me out a bit. Oh well.

Seriously though, with HBS BattleTech doing well, and MechWarrior 5 on it's way, I am a happy BattleTech fan. It's a good time to be a fan.

#36 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

Well... ask Microsoft. They are goosing that MA 3 egg, doing nothing about it.. yet... MAYBE after MW5M releases on *barf* epic and later Steam. Maybe that will nudge their nogging and go " Hey we also have something Mech, something, ah Mech Assault! "

Make it happen Microsoft, make it happen....

#37 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:27 AM

View PostTordin, on 30 July 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well... ask Microsoft. They are goosing that MA 3 egg, doing nothing about it.. yet... MAYBE after MW5M releases on *barf* epic and later Steam. Maybe that will nudge their nogging and go " Hey we also have something Mech, something, ah Mech Assault! "

Make it happen Microsoft, make it happen....

One can hope.

Heck, I'd just love to see a re-release of the old ones on PC. A remaster wouldn't be necessary...but nice :).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users