Frustrated Attack

21 replies to this topic

#21 Bunny Wigglesworth

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

Okay, so I think I need to clarify some things here.

1) I am a potato. I have been playing for around a year, and I am still at tier 5. I am close to tier 4, but not there yet. I am not TTB or anybody like that.

2) It is an Arctic Wolf Prime that has some omnipods from the ACW-A, so I have ECM, jump jets, 4 missle hardpoints and 2 laser hard points. It runs at 104.5 kph. I went with this set up instead of the ACW with 9 missile hard points because this set up let me get the mobility and the ECM that I wanted to do these sneak attacks. The one with the 9 hard points was fun, and I believe I have an almost 90 point alpha strike, but it kept getting spotted, and didn't have the jump jets.

3) It wasn't the Dire Wolf by itself that was the problem. Yes, I could run circles around it in close. But he turned in time to get his weapons on me, and 2 other heavy/assault mechs near him also turned to engage. They were close enough to hit me, but far enough away that jinking or running around the Dire Wolf wouldn't screw up their aim.

4) That three minutes setting up this attack wasn't just me not playing while I ran. I was scouting, lighting up enemy mechs when I could, and keeping a constant stream of locations and directions going to my team while I got into position.

The whole point of this set up is to get behind and take out 1-2 of their mechs in the rear of their team before they know I am here. With the 2 ER small lasers and 4 SRM6s, I have a 58 point alpha strike. I am normally shooting from 30-40 meters, so everything hits one place. On most mechs, that will take them down in one shot. Two at the most, especially for assault mechs. That means that I need what? 4 seconds for the SRMs to reload, and I have put 116 points of damage into them. At the level I am playing at, it is a really effective tactic. But the key to it working is the other team not knowing I am there. Once they are aware, they tend to get a bit ticked at me, and at 40 tons, I just can't go toe-to-toe with more than one mech at a time. I know that some people say that it is a waste of time, but I have had games where I can kill 4 enemy mechs like this. Hell, the game right after this one, a Pirate's Bane and I took out 5. And the whole time I am back there fighting, I keep a lock on enemy mechs so the missile boats can bring them the good news.

(edit) Yes, the ACW is technically a medium, but it plays like a light, so I treat it like one. It doesn't have blazing speed, but with the ECM and a bit of sneaking, you can still get it where it needs to go. Hence the 3 minute run, instead of 2 minutes.

Edited by Bunny Wigglesworth, 24 May 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#22 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 May 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

OP mentioned having ECM, so I guess it's the Omni.

Yeah, mybad, didn't notice the ECM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users