Would Minimum Rewards Make Stomps Less Painful?

33 replies to this topic

#21 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:16 AM

View PostSeventhSL, on 29 May 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

Ummm... no... but I do understand why you would think that.

My post was agreeing that no amount of rewards is going to bring people into FP if it is NOT FUN for them to play. It is not going to be fun for your average Jo while highly skilled premades brutally club them to death as soon as they sick their head up.

Do you not agree?

Edit: Also to be clear, this isn't a go at any of the units I mentioned. Seen some great sportsmanship out of all of them over the years.

Well unfortunately we all have games where we lose comprehensively and you have to accept that. On the weekend just gone I was pugging for a while and faced 4 different 12 mans and shock horror we got curb stomped each time. The next day we had about 6 - 8 Kcom and freinds and we did the curb stomping. It's swings and roundabouts man. To many people just give up too easy.

#22 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

Yer mate I get it. I do. Use to run a small Clan in WOT. As soon as we started doing we’ll in company battles people wanted to join. Had to juggle training the new guys, keeping the vets happy, winning games but not stomping the new teams out of the comp. The politics, the egos and dramas wow..... and if you got all that right then some fool recruit would talk crap on the forums and thrash your Clan’s rep. Grrrr...

#23 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:47 AM

How about limiting the time the hub group you play with to once a week. It’s cool you and bcmc are friends and enjoy playing together, but at the same time you all have proved you stomp most everybody out there. Point proven, congrats you won the internet. You don’t beat most teams you stomp them. That forces people to not want to play to at all. I know MS has turned a lot of pugs off from playing fp by stomping in the old system, but you guys force units to not want to play. What do you have left to prove? Now you want PGI to do something to entice people to get stomped. They don’t have to do anything, you can fix it yourself. Point being fp is dead and you all just beating a dead horse and turn around and say “hey mr horse I’ll give you a carrot if you just come over and take some more beatings” Trying hard to have some respect for you guys but you do make it pretty hard. Sorry dude but the Mwo universe does not revolve around your hub group. I think the elo system will work but you have to give it a chance. PGI can’t hand out skills

Edited by The Jewce Iz Loose, 30 May 2019 - 04:21 AM.

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:41 AM

View PostSeventhSL, on 29 May 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

Ummm... no... but I do understand why you would think that.

My post was agreeing that no amount of rewards is going to bring people into FP if it is NOT FUN for them to play. It is not going to be fun for your average Jo while highly skilled premades brutally club them to death as soon as they sick their head up.

Do you not agree?

Edit: Also to be clear, this isn't a go at any of the units I mentioned. Seen some great sportsmanship out of all of them over the years.

its a chicken and the egg problem. you need to bring people in so the match maker can work, but people have past bad experiences with fp that they are reluctant to do so. you might have brought some in who were curious if fp was any better, but they lose interest when they see the wait times involved.

you need to bring in masses of players. the only way that will happen is if there is a massive fp exclusive event with really sweet rewards but nothing exceptionally difficult challenge wise. cumulative goals probably work best as they tend to require a lot of games to stack the needed points. if you set these high and have the event run for a couple weeks, you might bootstrap fp and get regular pug traffic. then the important part is they have to have a good time or they will leave as soon as the event ends. that depends on the mm working as advertised. if qp is any indication, it wont.

#25 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:49 AM

just incase you think i'm just rambling on about bs, take a short read here.

Dr Jaak Panksepp was a neuroscientist who sadly passed away this year who studied the role of play in rats. He removed the cortexes of rats to see if they still wanted to roughhouse with other rats, and they did. Rats would play a wrestling game where they would pin each other to the ground, which they still did when their cortexes were removed. This showed that the impulse to play came from a very primitive part of the brain, one which is likely shared with all mammals, including humans.
That was his most famous finding, but within that something very interesting, especially in the context of poker. Larger rats would invariably beat smaller rats most of the time, given their ‘pinning’ game was very body weight dependent. But when larger rats would not let smaller rats win once in a while (Panksepp estimated around 30% of the time), the smaller rats would stop playing with them. They no longer wanted to play when it was impossible for them to win, they were fine with losing most of the time, as long as there was a chance they could win.
As this was from a primitive part of the brain most likely shared by humans, it gives even more evidence as to why it is important to let casual players win, as well as why poker is so much fun in the first place. When recreational players feel there is a chance to win, they keep on playing. When they get absolutely crushed every time, it is very probably hardwired within them to stop.

link to story https://www.pokerstr...ionally_101770/

Edited by The Jewce Iz Loose, 30 May 2019 - 03:50 AM.

#26 Nathan White

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:18 AM

View PostThe Jewce Iz Loose, on 30 May 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

How about limiting the time the hub group you play with to once a week. It’s cool you and bcmc are friends and enjoy playing together, but at the same time you all have proved you stomp most everybody out there. Point proven, congrats you won the internet. You don’t beat most teams you stomp them. That forces people to not want to play to at all. I know MS has turned a lot of pugs off from playing fp by stomping in the old system, but you guys force units units to not want to play. What do you have left to prove? Now you want PGI to do something to entice people to get stomped. They don’t have to do anything, you can fix it yourself. Point being fp is dead and you all just beating a dead horse and turn around and say “hey mr horse I’ll give you a carrot if you just come over and take some more beatings” Trying hard to have some respect for you guys but you do make it pretty hard. Sorry dude but the Mwo universe does not revolve around your hub group. I think the elo system will work but you have to give it a chance. PGI can’t hand out skills

Hahahahahaha, its beautiful

#27 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:00 AM

View PostThe Jewce Iz Loose, on 30 May 2019 - 03:49 AM, said:

just incase you think i'm just rambling on about bs, take a short read here.

Dr Jaak Panksepp was a neuroscientist who sadly passed away this year who studied the role of play in rats. He removed the cortexes of rats to see if they still wanted to roughhouse with other rats, and they did. Rats would play a wrestling game where they would pin each other to the ground, which they still did when their cortexes were removed. This showed that the impulse to play came from a very primitive part of the brain, one which is likely shared with all mammals, including humans.
That was his most famous finding, but within that something very interesting, especially in the context of poker. Larger rats would invariably beat smaller rats most of the time, given their ‘pinning’ game was very body weight dependent. But when larger rats would not let smaller rats win once in a while (Panksepp estimated around 30% of the time), the smaller rats would stop playing with them. They no longer wanted to play when it was impossible for them to win, they were fine with losing most of the time, as long as there was a chance they could win.
As this was from a primitive part of the brain most likely shared by humans, it gives even more evidence as to why it is important to let casual players win, as well as why poker is so much fun in the first place. When recreational players feel there is a chance to win, they keep on playing. When they get absolutely crushed every time, it is very probably hardwired within them to stop.

link to story https://www.pokerstr...ionally_101770/

I've read that before. So interesting and it absolutely reflects my experience with people. Thanks for sharing.

#28 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostThe Jewce Iz Loose, on 30 May 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

How about limiting the time the hub group you play with to once a week. It’s cool you and bcmc are friends and enjoy playing together, but at the same time you all have proved you stomp most everybody out there.

If it weren't for the KComs and BCMCs of faction warfare, I would never play. You got to have teams out there that you want to beat, otherwise you'll just be stuck farming pugs with no goals.

Get your guys motivated and organized before you run into a big name team and you'll perform much better than if you approach it with a negative attitude.

#29 Lichtsteiner

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:46 AM

This issue is as much the community fault as the PGI -
Case in point -

I played ISMO last night and other times - Never has it been a bad verbale exchange, while they stomp us. The games were a Blast. SO hell ya gonna keep Queing up.

Other "Elite' units - Stomp Stomp "Ah you guys suck", "Just stop queuing up" and my favorite "your losing wrong".
Losing is one thing, but having a man child throw a tantrum while they are winning is a whole different thing.
You think people are gonna keep queuing?
The boys in 601 are an exception....we que up no matter what and should be paid by PGI

BTW thanks ISMO for the matches and the fun.

Edited by Lichtsteiner, 02 June 2019 - 07:02 AM.

#30 Jugger Grimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 263 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAddicks, Fed Suns

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostNightbird, on 28 May 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

If it's not tied to actions in a match you'll see people not try when they face a team.

Odd that a Team-based game doesn't really encourage or reward Teamwork! Too bad the majority of events reward Solo achievement, NOT Teamwork. When they start rewarding Teamwork, we might actually see more of it. Players aren't playing to win the match much anymore - as long as they get the matchscore/damage/etc... required for the event loot, all is well in the Universe. I doubt they care about their Team winning - no reward in it for them.

Edited by Jugger Grimrod, 02 June 2019 - 07:26 AM.

#31 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

Even if its not - its great to have people playing, So instead of rewarding people in match I would suggest increased rewards for people waiting in queues of the losing side.

#32 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

No absolutely not. In another thread you opine that poor mechpack sales are caused by oversaturation of extant digital goods.

C-bills are used to buy mechs. If no demand for mechs exist increasing the payout will do nothing.

#33 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 02 June 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

No absolutely not. In another thread you opine that poor mechpack sales are caused by oversaturation of extant digital goods.

No I didn't

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users