#121 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:48 AM

View Postw0qj, on 12 February 2021 - 11:17 AM, said:

Hey MrVaad, many thanks for your help to get our Steam MWO installation user.cfg !

It seems to have worked, preventing my notebook computer from dropping to single-digit FPS (frames per seconds) during melee combat...

Thanks again!!

I'm glad it helped you !
And thanks for everyone giving feedback :)

#122 lolcstrike

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:58 PM

Is there a way I can sink the game's graphics into complete potato mode? changing LOD seems to crash it. I know CryEngine games have lower poly models that render at a distance, and some particle effects are forced.

It is a CryEngine game and if crysis and crysis remastered are any indication, they are notorious for all sorts of performance draining hiccups.

I don't even care about "Muh grafix". I'd play this game if it looked like MW1.

Edited by lolcstrike, 26 February 2021 - 02:01 PM.

#123 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:50 AM

Your turn, MrVaad.

#124 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 04:52 AM

Is there a way to turn grass mostly off? Like it is with object detail on low, but while having object detail turned up. Or a way to have object detail on low but with draw distance on objects turned up? I want to have less pop in. Turning object detail up increases draw distance on objects like crates but adds in more vegetation so there are more things that pop in. I've tried changing the values on the vegetation section but can't get it.

Edited by dario03, 27 March 2021 - 04:53 AM.

#125 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:01 PM

are you using a cfg file or only the ingame settings ?

Here's how the draw distances work (SERVER LOCKED means the game will overwite your cfg setting when starting a match). Custom and Detail don't seem used in MWO.

Object DetailLowMediumHighVery High
e_ViewDistMin10101010
e_ViewDistRatio SERVER LOCKED
e_ViewDistRatioCustom SERVER LOCKED
100 100 100
e_ViewDistRatioDetail
e_ViewDistRatioLights SERVER LOCKED
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation

For vegetation in the cfg, you can lower e_ViewDistRatioVegetation but i think 40 is the lowest.
Ohter settings to hide small vegetations are locked

you can also set e_VegetationUseTerrainColor= 0 which could gain you some perf (as for myself, i like the resulting look Posted Image )

Edited by MrVaad, 29 March 2021 - 02:46 PM.

#126 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 29 March 2021 - 02:01 PM, said:

are you using a cfg file or only the ingame settings ?

Here's how the draw distances work (orange means the game will overwite your cfg setting when starting a match)

For vegetation in the cfg, you can lower e_ViewDistRatioVegetation but i thing 40 is the lowest.
Ohter settings to hide small vegetations are locked

you can also set e_VegetationUseTerrainColor= 0 which could gain you some perf (as for myself, i like the resulting look Posted Image )

I'm using your user.cfg with a few changes.

What does e_vegetationuseterraincolor=0 do? Tried it, and tried it at 1, didn't really see much difference on Forrest Colony testing ground.

You said other settings for small vegetation settings are blocked. Is that true for all objects, or are they linked? Really what I'm wondering is, is there a way to turn up draw distance on non-vegetation objects to act like object detail is turned to high, but leave it on low?

#127 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

it just stop the vegetation to use the terrain color. In theory it's a little less consuming (1 is the default value).
It seems, in MWO, some vegetations are "objects" instead of "vegetation" Posted Image

The best you can do i think is :
- Set object detail to high or very high (this will set e_ViewDistRatio=100 and it's server locked)
- Set e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=40
- Lower e_LodRatio to what you want (it sets the distance when objects change level of detail).

e_ViewDistMin is interesting if you want a min distance for everything.

Edited by MrVaad, 29 March 2021 - 02:55 PM.

#128 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 29 March 2021 - 02:35 PM, said:

it just stop the vegetation to use the terrain color. In theory it's a little less consuming (1 is the default value).

The best you can do i think is :
- set object detail to high or very high
- set e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=40

e_ViewDistMin is interesting if you want a min distance for everything.

Well dang, so theres no separate settings for things like rocks and crates?

Setting object detail to high and eviewdistratiovegetation=40 has the grass popping in really close. Setting it to 100 is a performance hit and still has some pop in :(

#129 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

The thing is many variables are server locked (you can change them only in the training grounds).

e_ViewDistRatio is for objects (server locked)
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation is for vegetation (not locked)
e_VegetationMinSize is for vegetation (server locked)

e_VegetationMinSize is 0.5 on LOW and 0 on MEDIUM+. This is probably what makes your grass disappear on LOW. But e_ViewDistRatio is 50 on LOW so your objects will "pop in"

You can try to raise e_ViewDistMin (like 300-400 or more), this will affect the min draw distance of everything.

Edited by MrVaad, 29 March 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#130 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 29 March 2021 - 02:58 PM, said:

You can Lower e_LodRatio. This will change the details on all "objects" (ie rock, crates, buildings, everything, even some trees). The thing is many variables are server locked (you can change them only in the training grounds).

Like e_VegetationMinSize is server locked.
It's 0.5 on LOW and 0 on MEDIUM+. This is probably what makes your grass disappear on LOW.

But e_ViewDistRatio is set to 50 on LOW (also server locked) so your objects will "pop in"

Yeah I tried e_vegetationminsize and I think a max size one too, but didn't see a difference so makes sense its locked.

I have e_lodratio on 20. It stops things having really weird geometry and low detail but still get rocks and crates popping in to existence at ~200m when object detail is on low.

Edited by dario03, 29 March 2021 - 03:09 PM.

#131 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

View Postdario03, on 29 March 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

Yeah I tried e_vegetationminsize and I think a max size one too, but didn't see a difference so makes sense its locked.
I have e_lodratio on 20. It stops things having really weird geometry and low detail but still get rocks and crates popping in to existence at ~200m when object detail is on low.

Well you could set object detail on LOW. Then raise e_ViewDistMin (like 300-400 or more), this is probably your last hope
It will affect the min draw distance of everything.

With all those locked variables, it's a brain teaser ...

Edited by MrVaad, 29 March 2021 - 03:21 PM.

#132 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 29 March 2021 - 03:18 PM, said:

Well you could set object detail on LOW. Then raise e_ViewDistMin (like 300-400 or more), this is probably your last hope

Yeah thats what I did after seeing your last edit. Gonna see how that works out in game. Thanks.

Edited by dario03, 29 March 2021 - 04:18 PM.

#133 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:00 PM

Im also having perfomance problems. Mainly in Solaris city and river city. Other maps dont drop fps nearly as much

Playing 1280x720, Low settings, DX11, Fullscreen. CPU 4 cores AMD

View PostMrVaad, on 29 March 2021 - 03:18 PM, said:

Which settings should i use if i dont care about visuals and just want as much perfomance as possible MrVlad?
PGI locked so many values from old configs and now i dont know what to do.

Edited by Vincefeld, 02 May 2021 - 05:06 PM.

#134 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:13 AM

Solaris and river city have some problems that can only be solved by editing the maps.
I don't have much more options for a low visuals/high perf config If you have everything on LOW,

But the golden rule is don't set something to 0 if you don't know what i does (it can impact your performance badly).
i think you can use a small user.cfg like this (i'm working on a small cfg, easier to tweak than the current one Posted Image )

; MrVaad BASIC cfg 0.1

; Enable Geometry instancing (optimize the cost of identical objects)
r_Batching
r_BatchType= 0
r_GeomInstancing
r_GeomInstancingThreshold=2

; Optimise hidden objects detection (occlusion)
e_StatObjBufferRenderTasks = 1
e_CoverageBuffer = 0
e_CoverageBufferAABBExpand = 0

; enable GPU queries in sync mode, to detect hidden effects (and perhaps objects, not 100% sure)
r_ConditionalRendering = 2

; Disables depth of field (the blur in the distance)
r_DepthOfField = 0

; This disable the preload of map objects (many objects are not needed, depending on the map mode)
e_StatObjPreload=0

; dissolve is the pixelated effect on objects when they change their level of detail
e_Dissolve=0
e_WaterOceanFFT = 0
r_WaterReflectionsQuality=0

r_ShadersPreactivate=3
r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=1
r_ShadersAsyncMaxThreads=4

If you have problems or crashes, remove the shader lines

Setting the texture setting on MEDIUM could help.

Don't forget to use a tuning.cfg file and you can also try my empty cache .pak files
Files and instructions here :
https://github.com/M...O-MrVaad-Tweaks

Edited by MrVaad, 03 May 2021 - 04:32 AM.

#135 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

View PostMrVaad, on 03 May 2021 - 04:13 AM, said:

Solaris and river city have some problems that can only be solved by editing the maps.
I don't have much more options for a low visuals/high perf config If you have everything on LOW,

But the golden rule is don't set something to 0 if you don't know what i does (it can impact your performance badly).
i think you can use a small user.cfg like this (i'm working on a small cfg, easier to tweak than the current one Posted Image )

If you have problems or crashes, remove the shader lines

Setting the texture setting on MEDIUM could help.

Don't forget to use a tuning.cfg file and you can also try my empty cache .pak files
Files and instructions here :
https://github.com/M...O-MrVaad-Tweaks

Thanks for replying, and yes im totally digging small config with only tweaks that really impact fps in meaningful way.

Another question i got is about particles. Are they fixed values now? it thats why you didnt include them in mini-config?

#136 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:01 AM

View PostVincefeld, on 03 May 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

Another question i got is about particles. Are they fixed values now? it thats why you didnt include them in mini-config?

I think nothing has been locked since my first post. I didn't want to overwhelm you with settings.
You can try those :

; //2: particles collide with moving objects. 1: particles collide with static objects. 0: particles don't collide with anything. 0 could be a bad idea as some particles disappear when they collide with something. MWO default is 2.
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions=1

; //Use with caution. 1 is the default value. This is a multiplier to the number of particles in an effect.
; //Example: If an effect has 2 particles only, setting less than 0.5 could make the effect disappear.
e_ParticlesLod = 0.75

; //Default is 2. This influence the fillrate used by a particle effect (the number of pixels that can be written per second). Also use with caution.
e_ParticlesMaxDrawScreen=1.5

; //This let the engine check each Level Of Detail for an object. And discard the ones that should not improve performance (can keep good 3d details at almost not cost)
e_LodsForceUse=0

Hope it helps you Posted Image

Edited by MrVaad, 03 May 2021 - 09:19 AM.

#137 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:44 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 03 May 2021 - 09:01 AM, said:

I think nothing has been locked since my first post. I didn't want to overwhelm you with settings.
You can try those :

;
; //This let the engine check each Level Of Detail for an object. And discard the ones that should not improve performance (can keep good 3d details at almost not cost)
e_LodsForceUse=0

Hope it helps you Posted Image

What Lods have to do with particles tho? Isnt that setting forces engine to always use 0 LOD(highest quality one)

#138 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

View PostVincefeld, on 03 May 2021 - 12:44 PM, said:

What Lods have to do with particles tho? Isnt that setting forces engine to always use 0 LOD(highest quality one)

It's not about particles and it does not force Lod0. But it's a setting that *could* help you.

So LoD0 is your original object.
When you create LoDX+1, it should be less expensive to draw than LoDX (using less geometry or less textures).
But sometimes, too many LoDs are created, and some ends up costing the same as the previous Lod. There's also a low limit where your card does not get any more benefit.

-> This setting lets the engine decide if a LoD is good (it disables the "forced use of every Lods").
It could help by making you load less LoDs

Edited by MrVaad, 03 May 2021 - 01:21 PM.

#139 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 03 May 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

It's not about particles and it does not force Lod0. But it's a setting that *could* help you.

So LoD0 is your original object.
When you create LoDX+1, it should be less expensive to draw than LoDX (using less geometry or less textures).
But sometimes, too many LoDs are created, and some ends up costing the same as the previous Lod. There's also a low limit where your card does not get any more benefit.

-> This setting lets the engine decide if a LoD is good (it disables the "forced use of every Lods").
It could help by making you load less LoDs

I understand now, didnt know there was point where creating LoD doesnt benefir you anymore

Ideally i want game engine to never even show highest quality 0 LoD even if im up close and use lower quality instead. Transition is just so jarring.
Something like minimalLod = 8

#140 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

Transition is jarring because some LoDs are very bad.
When LoDs are done well, it's way more subtle.
Believe me, you don't want to see some MWO Lod6 too close, it's abstract art Posted Image A box building is sometimes no longer a box ...

Edited by MrVaad, 03 May 2021 - 04:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users