Group Matchmaking

9 replies to this topic

#1 TurboBurningWolfLazer

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I am not sure if this is supposed to be here, sorry if this is in the wrong spot however.

To my knowledge, group matchmaking (playing with your friends in a group) only match makes you with other players who are also in a group. This creates a problem where the game needs to find 24 players who are in groups to match make together. I believe that it then tries to evenly match make a certain amount of light-medium-heavy-assault mechs to balance the teams.

This literally makes the game unplayable at certain times of the day. I have convinced my friends to play this game, and they have all spent money on this game trying to play it with eachother, but we are having literal 15-30 minute que times from 4am EST to 2pm EST, this is literally HALF THE DAY, the game is absolutely unplayable for me and my friends. We have resorted to just both queing into solo que, and we get on the same team literally every time with a 30second to 1 minute que time. We can literally play the game 50% of the time on the same team together while saving 14 minutes.

So my question is... WHY IS THIS LIKE THIS?

If the devs do not want groups of cordinated people in solo que, they literally can't stop people from clicking into soloque together. It's not consistent, but it has even more potential to ruining games because if you and you'r buddy dont get on the same team, you can just give insider intel to your friend and one side will win.

Sorry if this seems all over the place, but they should let group people que with solo que people. There is no reason it should be like this. It just inflates que times for FRIENDS playing the game. If you can't play with your friends in a reasonable time I feel like people will drop the game. Friends are the number one reason people STAY playing the game, why are the systems in place punishing people trying to play the game with your friends?

This makes no sense to me and only serves to drive even more players out of a dying playerbase. I don't understand. I love this game and it should encourage you to play with your friends.

#2 PensiveWarhorn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Couldn't agree more, I have persuaded an ever expanding group of my friends to get the game and start playing but when we're looking at 30min+ wait times for group games it becomes really difficult to get people to stick with it. We've all just logged out again after 45 minutes and we didn't play a single game. I don't know if mixing group ques and single ques is the answer but there has to be one somewhere because at the moment it's horrendous. For a game that is based on group co-operation, factions and people playing together it makes absolutely not sense for group players to be penalized like this because at the moment the whole thing is, as you say, completely and utterly unplayable.

I really do love this game and if the devs are reading this, please guys, I'm literally begging you, fix the group play match-making system. I don't really care how, I'm really not fussed about losing elements of balance or playing games against twelve assaults. I just want to play, in a group, with my friends. Being as that is literally the essence of the game I don't feel like it's too much to ask.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

There was a huge backlash of even allowing just 2 man groups to join the solo queue. Perhaps PGI shot themselves in the foot by calling it the solo queue instead of just calling it the regular queue.

I've always been of the mind that people should be able to play with their friends, even if it's just 1 or 2 other people. PGI was tugged around in different directions in the forums by people who want to play with 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12 man groups even if it was hell on the matchmaking system. PGI was too nice and could not put their foot down on a solid solution for a very long time. I'd fault both parties here.

What I am suggesting though is that players should be allowed into the group queue. The opposite of allowing groups in the solo queue. This means that a regular player can be tossed in either the group or solo queue and they can opt out of the group queue if they want. This allows players to have faster matches with the two queues and those too sensitive about being stomped by a 4 man squad can just stick with the solo queue.

Let's just say the damage has been done over the years. PGI can just take the PR hit and allow groups of 2 into the solo queue. I believe other games do groups of up to 3 or 4 in their regular queue, but it's up to them to decide if it is worth it. I do not think that PGI wants any negative press until MW5 launches though and this would stir the hornet's nest.

Allowing solo players to be tossed in the group queue if they want to be is probably the least harmful option.

Another option is to completely rebrand the "SOLO" queue to something like "QUICK BATTLE". This removes the term solo and the perception that no groups are in it. Then they can allow groups of up to 4 maximum to join this queue along with solo players. Groups will mess up the current matchmaking system due to the game having an easier time finding individual mechs/weight classes to toss together instead of having to build around a pre-made.

The wait time for a group can be longer as the game tries to put them in a match, but the matchmaker can also just stack a bit more weight on the other team to make up for one side having a group. Players that queue solo in this queue can be given a 10% c-bill and/or XP bonus for going in alone.

Edited by Elizander, 08 June 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#4 Cosah

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Allowing single players to queue in group queue or allowing groups of 2 to enter the standard quick play queue would be a huge help. Wait times for 2-3 person groups are way too long!

#5 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:04 AM

All for it.

It boils down to playing the game.
If you can't get a match then you aren't playing the game.
If you are not playing the game then you are going to be doing something else.

#6 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:29 AM

We wanna play!
I cant get a group going in my unit between 10am-7pm my time because we cant freakin que.
So no one hops on...because were just sync dropping. (It aint that fun, and shouldnt be necessary)

If units cant get small groups of friends rolling, then no larger groups form.
Fix it.

Let groups of 2-4 into solo que. Adjust small drop tonnage to be less. Assume a group of 4 has 1 of each weight class at its heaviest in tonnage (265tonnes for a 4 man)
Throw them in based on elo average.

Larger groups can get their own QP que as per normal....but the games designed for those larger groups to migrate to FP anyway.

#7 Ouso

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

Little to add other than I have been similarly frustrated with the inability to get group queue matches, and support this (and any other effort to improve it). It's particularly frustrating as a burgeoning drop caller - the best context to try out mechs and strats is often group quick play, and having to choose between hoping FP is available or sync-dropping is pretty lame.

#8 Vorpal Bunny Rabbit

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:59 AM

After a couple years hiatus I will be coming back to MWO after my new GPU arrives around the 13th.

My best friend will be coming back to MWO with me as well. We have been playing together in War Thunder for a couple years. The only thing that sucks is that I doubt I'll be playing together with him in this game much due to the matchmaker throwing us into pre-made groups.

Would be nice if MWO at least allowed 2 man teams to get into the normal quick play games. In WT you're encouraged to play with friends ( pugs are thrown in with up to 4 man squads ).

p.s. getting some of my WT guild mates to create accounts over here. Told them to get their feet wet learning the game in solo queue, so we can at least play as 4 man lances in Scouting Missions. Several of us are upset with War Thunder for various reasons...

Edited by Vorpal Bunny Rabbit, 04 November 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

I'm sorry to break it to you, but there is no more scouting in FP. At least 99% of the time. I don't attend FP very often, so if some more regular customer knows otherwise, feel free to correct me.
With the new conflict system and its phases, I don't think there have been many - if any at all - scouting phases.
You can play regular FP in group of course, but it's not the newcomer friendliest environment.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 04 November 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#10 KritterBug

• Pip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 11 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFairbanks Alaska

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

PUT THE ******* QUES BACK THE WAY THEY WERE I CANT EVEN JOIN A ******* GAME WITH FIVE PEOPLE IN MY GROUP LET ALONE JUST 2 **** YOU **** YOU **** YOU **** YOU

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users