• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 144 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

I've been toying with the idea of dropping my Urbie engines down to the lower end of Assault speeds, in order to maximize the weapon loadouts, versus the current 90-100 kph speed with lighter weaponry.

Thoughts?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

The issue with dropping your engine is that all engines between 150 to 170 have the same tonnage, meaning that you have to downgrade really really far to actually start getting any tonnage benefits for your speed loss. But then this creates another issue of eating up all your critslots on external Dubs, which will require you to remove FF or LFF thus cancelling out the tonnage you just gained.

#3 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

You need an urbie for all seasons. At least five of them.

I use my AC20 urbie now and again, it's pretty fun. The AC10 is even better.

But as you'd expect lasers, SRMs and faster engines will always take home all the prizes.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:09 PM

I currently own 3 Urbie's. And I actually enjoy playing them a lot, but I have run into the heat sink problem mentioned above as well... I tend to use 4t or 5.5t engines on all of them. And I built them around a different theme.

One is using LBX10 and 2ERSL. That Urbie is stone cold. If you are not focussed, you can just keep firing and never overheat. Even with no heat related skills.

My MRM30 / 3ERSL Urbie can run hot, but it is not skilled, yet, either. Might become even better with more heat skills.

And last but not least, I have an 4MPL / 2LMG Urbie with AMS that I have not played yet. I hope that it is going to be as much fun as the others. :)

These Mechs are going to be my go to Light Mechs for events, from now on.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 June 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

The issue with dropping your engine is that all engines between 150 to 170 have the same tonnage, meaning that you have to downgrade really really far to actually start getting any tonnage benefits for your speed loss. But then this creates another issue of eating up all your critslots on external Dubs, which will require you to remove FF or LFF thus cancelling out the tonnage you just gained.

This.

Basically stick with the 170 engine and weps around it. Or near enough.

#6 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:34 AM

Most of mine stick to the 170 but two use a 145.

I think it's the R60L with an LBX10 & 4 ERSL and the K-9 with a RAC5 & 3/4 ERML. Pretty sure they both use SHS.

#7 Strength Damage Cliff Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:47 AM

The only urbie that got smaller than max engine in my lineup is missile one, simply because I need beagle for these streaks and 1.5 tons don't grow on trees.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

I have... 14 Urbies, last count. 3 of each cbill variant (one srs bsns build, one fun build, and one bone stock just for the hell of it) plus one of each hero. My goal is, indeed, to have two more of each hero so I can say I have three of every Urbie, but I'm gonna wait on event MC for that now.

The best performers are invariably the ones with a 170 engine... which is most of the non-stock configs. I have a few with 145s because they could run SHS (AC10/LB10X builds) so they didn't immediately lose the savings by having to drop ferro for DHS slots, one with a 125 (AC20 build), and of course the stock lineup all have 60s. The real outlier is Street Cleaner, which I have maxed out with a 210 because it's the gottagofast! one, but it hasn't been performing as well as the others.

I don't think I have any XL180 builds anymore; the extra half-ton is just too valuable since the qualitative difference between just over 100kph and just under 100kph is fairly negligible. I'm pretty sure I also don't have any LFE Urbs, because they're all specced for either heavy things like ACs, or else I've gone for a bigger alpha over survivability. Urbies are good enough at damage spreading and have enough extra armor not to worry so much about XL squishiness.

...but I'm also a complete goober who's declined to use the K9's fifth energy hardpoint because it blocks the text on the arm, so I might not be the best authority on minmaxing. The chief guiding principles behind all of my Urbies are "have fun, and look cool doing it."

#9 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 23 June 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

...but I'm also a complete goober who's declined to use the K9's fifth energy hardpoint because it blocks the text on the arm, so I might not be the best authority on minmaxing.

PREACH!

#10 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

my two most fun urbies are
3mpl +2 rocket20
it looks cute, wiggles with the arms and then 'blam!' - half your mech is gone, thx to the rockets Posted Image

and my trusty k9, which runs with 5ML or 5 MPL, sometimes a mix.
most important part about him is the macro I've written for the horns+lights
runs non-stop when I press the 'fun'button Posted Image

170LFE on both, I think. it's the fastest assault-mech there is, so no-xl on it, for me.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 23 June 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#11 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

capitalize on its strenghts, armor and firepower.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

i have other mechs more suited to speed so i tend to go firepower. maybe if i had a street cleaner.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 June 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#13 Eldaran

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:28 AM

I've been afraid to use Urbies because I see them all going 34 kph in the back of the line, but everyone loves them and seems to try and protect them or something. I'd like to play one eventually and all the suggestions in this thread have been helpful in deciding. Thanks

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostEldaran, on 21 March 2020 - 06:28 AM, said:

I've been afraid to use Urbies because I see them all going 34 kph in the back of the line, but everyone loves them and seems to try and protect them or something. I'd like to play one eventually and all the suggestions in this thread have been helpful in deciding. Thanks

Urbies are fun, tanky and somewhat nasty with a "big" engine, MPL's, and Jumpjets. But for the authentic experience you've got to go slow and carry a big gun.

Urbies with a RAC5 and 2xMedium Lasers are pretty solid.

My favourite variant is the Double-Barrelled Deputy Dawg. Keep the sirens wailing and try not to laugh so manically you fall off your seat.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:15 AM

why not do both?

my fast urbie is my street cleaner. k9 is a more balanced builds, but i still have a few heavy weapons urbies as well.

#16 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:25 AM

>Not just running the RAC5, XL170 Urbie

What are you, a normal person who uses sane loadouts?

#17 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:29 AM

I typically run a 170 or 180 on non Street Cleaner Urbies. Anything smaller is a lot of speed loss for not much weight savings unless you go all the way down to something like a 100 but that's 54kph, might as well just run something bigger. Street Cleaner I would run larger since otherwise you could just run a different urb.

Edited by dario03, 21 March 2020 - 11:38 AM.

#18 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:59 PM

I always go for smls,ermls and mgs or some combination. Shoving a lower engine just means you have to shove more heat sinks into your mech giving up the only reason you'd want to use a light:it's speed.

It's the same problem with locusts. You can get max seven tons on them but downgrading the engine results in the same need of more heat sinks not really benefiting you at all unless you want an lfe or std engine with the fire power of a spider 5v at best. In which case just take the 5v and get all that extra speed plus a few jump jets.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 21 March 2020 - 12:59 PM, said:

I always go for smls,ermls and mgs or some combination. Shoving a lower engine just means you have to shove more heat sinks into your mech giving up the only reason you'd want to use a light:it's speed.

Are you using a STD engine on that? You'll have a lot of spare tonnage with that loadout even with an XL180.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users