#1 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

I have been working on this new system for days, then I threw it in the corner under my desk to test!

Posted Image

Doing a test run with the new AMD hardware, great results!
Resolution:3240x1920
FPS capped in config at 63 because my monitors are all just 60 fps

Plugged it into my FX8350 config file to get some multithreading for 8 cores, even though this is a 12 core processor. All of that probably does not work anymore, but here is the user.cfg that is relevant:

ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 2

r_WaterUpdateThread = 4
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 4
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 4
sys_physics_CPU = 6
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_MaxFPS = 63
cl_fov=87
r_multiGPU = 0

I no longer have 2 GPU (390x) so, that never worked as far as I can tell.

The big problem will be the resolution when streaming. I am going to NDI to my streaming laptop at 1080@30fps and my previous resolution on my 8350 was 2700x1600 with lower settings, downsampled to 1920x1080. Sometimes people said they could not read the text well, and now it will be smaller.

I am impressed, all my streaming special effects will be my next test, but I still have 4 free cores (8 threads) to use for OBS.

BTW, as far as streaming special effect developments get my "obs-shaderfilter", it is free. I am currently working on adding all the photoshop blends to live video for streamers via this plugin!

You can also get my streamlabs chatbot script called CLP 1.5.3.1 it is also free and adds giphy, movies, queues and all sorts of stuff to streamlabs chatbot.

Surn
Twitch.tv/Surn (follows and subs help me keep developing)

Posted Image

Edited by Surn, 14 July 2019 - 08:33 PM.

#2 DropshipPilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:11 PM

forgot to mention, no more ssd, all M2

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostDropshipPilot, on 14 July 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

You should know M.2s are still SSDs...

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

Why cheap out on the monitors... like getting a 1000$ music player to use with 5$ earbuds.

#5 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostNightbird, on 14 July 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Why cheap out on the monitors... like getting a 1000$ music player to use with 5$ earbuds.

It is just my old monitors, 3 setup. I have not decided to change my monitors out yet.

Added a giphy of the system!

#6 Dubious Squirrel

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

I've been thinking about building a system around one of the new AMD chips. How does your framerate hold up in MWO, is it fairly solid?

#7 DropshipPilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:01 AM

View PostDubious Squirrel, on 14 July 2019 - 11:39 PM, said:

I've been thinking about building a system around one of the new AMD chips. How does your framerate hold up in MWO, is it fairly solid?

very solid! rarely ever dips even a couple frames. It dipped once that I noticed while loading something... otherwise.. awesome.. full detail 4k resolution

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostDropshipPilot, on 14 July 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

nvme?

i love m.2 drives because sata cabling has always been an unreliable mess for me. i went to extreme lengths to reduce cabling on my rig, even using some custom wiring harnesses to get rid of all those floating unused power cables. really improves the airflow.not having any drive cables really simplifies things.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 July 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#9 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

I am a intel ***** but even I have to admit these new Ryren CPU are damn nice and the price!

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostNightbird, on 14 July 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

there has been a lot of improvement on the monitor front in recent years. certainly a lot more than cpus and gpus. my last upgrade was four generations departed from my original build and it feels like a minor upgrade. i do need to go up a level in the gpu department to use my 4k display, but seeing as i don't really play that many games it seems like a waste of money. i could put that money into a kegerator or hydroponic grow room and better optimize my game.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 July 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#11 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 14 July 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

View PostVonBruinwald, on 14 July 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

nvme vs sata ... technically I should have said nvme, sata no more

#12 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 July 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

there has been a lot of improvement on the monitor front in recent years. certainly a lot more than cpus and gpus. my last upgrade was four generations departed from my original build and it feels like a minor upgrade. i do need to go up a level in the gpu department to use my 4k display, but seeing as i don't really play that many games it seems like a waste of money. i could put that money into a kegerator or hydroponic grow room and better optimize my game.

Ok, the skinny on Monitors...

No matter what you have heard, the fact is our brains calculate movement at 13 cycles per second... at the outset if you are a brain trained pro gamer.. it may go as high as 24 per second.

Peripheral vision can detect movement up to 60-90 fps, but everything else is averaged by your brain.

Why can we see flicker faster than that... training and concentration... the ability to see a flash of light can go all the way up to 250 fps, but you can not determine the intensity of the light until the flash speed is down to around 24 fps.

So, for wiggle room 24 images per second is all your brain processes, even if your eyes can see flicker... which might be annoying at 24 fps.

I doubt there is any performance benefit over 60 fps beyond preference.

This assumes gamer brains have twice the sensitivity to frame rate as untrained brains.

That training we do as gamers is actually useful for medical reasons in some cases.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

View PostSurn, on 16 July 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

nvme vs sata ... technically I should have said nvme, sata no more

m.2 is the physical socket spec, there are a couple sub types which are keyed differently and support different pinouts. it gets confusing. the socket has connections for multiple interfaces.

pcie/sata is the bus interface specification used (m.2 actually covers both of those interfaces and others like usb).

nvme is the software api. the old api (atapi?) was designed for spinning disks and nvme is specifically for flash based storage. nvme is usually used over the pcie bus (through either a pcie slot or an m.2 socket). while you could in theory run the nvme api over sata, i think the sata bus is really a bottle neck in this case and nvme wouldn't really improve things much.

needless to say its a confusing mess and i spent weeks learning all the things before buying hardware and everything worked without a hitch.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostSurn, on 16 July 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

Ok, the skinny on Monitors... No matter what you have heard, the fact is our brains calculate movement at 13 cycles per second... at the outset if you are a brain trained pro gamer.. it may go as high as 24 per second. Peripheral vision can detect movement up to 60-90 fps, but everything else is averaged by your brain. Why can we see flicker faster than that... training and concentration... the ability to see a flash of light can go all the way up to 250 fps, but you can not determine the intensity of the light until the flash speed is down to around 24 fps. So, for wiggle room 24 images per second is all your brain processes, even if your eyes can see flicker... which might be annoying at 24 fps. I doubt there is any performance benefit over 60 fps beyond preference. This assumes gamer brains have twice the sensitivity to frame rate as untrained brains. That training we do as gamers is actually useful for medical reasons in some cases.

also the fact that if you get a 120 or 240 hz display most of that refresh goes to waste anyway because most midrange cards could never feed it. you end up repeating frames a lot. high res displays have the same problem. i don't think my 1060 would cut it. spend $300-$400 on a video card and $400+ on a monitor you might get some noticeable performance increases and hardly notice the diminishing returns.

#15 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:33 PM

No matter what you have heard, the fact is our brains calculate movement at 13 cycles per second... at the outset if you are a brain trained pro gamer.. it may go as high as 24 per second.

Peripheral vision can detect movement up to 60-90 fps, but everything else is averaged by your brain.

Why can we see flicker faster than that... training and concentration... the ability to see a flash of light can go all the way up to 250 fps, but you can not determine the intensity of the light until the flash speed is down to around 24 fps.

So, for wiggle room 24 images per second is all your brain processes, even if your eyes can see flicker... which might be annoying at 24 fps.

This assumes gamer brains have twice the sensitivity to frame rate as untrained brains.

That training we do as gamers is actually useful for medical reasons in some cases.

LOL, set your FPS_MAX to 24 in your user.cfg and enjoy your MWO experience.

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostNightbird, on 16 July 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

LOL, set your FPS_MAX to 24 in your user.cfg and enjoy your MWO experience.

That's funny. As one at the how-low-is-low budget end of things I find you need a minimal 40fps in mwo to play lights at max speed. The slowest I've attempted to run mwo is 2-4fps on a pawn shop laptop of which I spent about 90$ on just to get a dvd player since I had no money for tv,cable,internet at the time.

You'd be amazed at how low your specs can be and get mwo to run on low settings. The only real challenge is having to reset back to low after you patch and repair tool on patch day. I get jealous of the ones complaining "only 60-110 fps." i'd probably double my lct damage output if I had more modern up-to-date hardware.

#17 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 18 July 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

That's funny. As one at the how-low-is-low budget end of things I find you need a minimal 40fps in mwo to play lights at max speed. The slowest I've attempted to run mwo is 2-4fps on a pawn shop laptop of which I spent about 90$ on just to get a dvd player since I had no money for tv,cable,internet at the time.

You'd be amazed at how low your specs can be and get mwo to run on low settings. The only real challenge is having to reset back to low after you patch and repair tool on patch day. I get jealous of the ones complaining "only 60-110 fps." i'd probably double my lct damage output if I had more modern up-to-date hardware.

2 to 4 frames per second??? Wut? That's a slideshow not a game.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 18 July 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

ive pulled better machines out of the dumpster, and those came with dvd drives (which i consider obsolete and dont include in my builds anymore).

#19 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

It's 2019, you can stop being one of the people who is still spewing this kind of uninformed information.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 19 July 2019 - 01:27 PM.

#20 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostFeral Clown, on 18 July 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

2 to 4 frames per second??? Wut? That's a slideshow not a game.

It was worse than a school power point class for beginners. And it was in testing grounds. I have the tech specs on the youtube video in my gallery. Even the low end has limits when it comes to mwo. As with any pc the more modern it is the better it is for the current gen of software. Except for when you purposefully build old pcs for retro gaming. Old hardware still has some uses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users