Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

Title Says it All.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

lol. Conquest is one of the best game modes.

#3 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Why would there be any need to remove 5 base skirmish mode? That would leave us with nothing but no base skirmish, two base skirmish, two base with walls skirmish, and various flavors of community skirmish. They already removed single mobile base skirmish, so leave the others modes alone!

#4 Rosh87

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 July 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

lol. Conquest is one of the best game modes.

Completely agree !

Conquest - by the very nature of the flag / zones needing to be captured across the map (at least at the outset of the match), is the ONLY game mode that has a Built-in "anti-NASCAR" effect to it !

You will almost never see all 12 mechs on both sides move to the "usual" spots on the map center, and perform the "run around to the right" in a circle / square pattern, in a Conquest Match, in the same way you would in a Skirmish or Domination (the Worst case, on most maps).

-----

I actually find it funny that PGI doesn't purposely make more maps like Crimson Strait or Rubellite (multi-level, NON-symmetrical maps), rather than things like HPG or (perhaps the worst examples) - Canyon Network / Hibernal Rift Posted Image

What you observe on the 'non-NASCARy" ones is dramatically different (most matches) than on the "heavily NASCAR-prone ones". This suggests to me, at least, that PGI has much more control over how the match plays out - based merely on the Map Design, as some of them are set up in such a way that it's "hard" to do the "roll around to the Right" pattern, even if a team subconsciously WANTED to.

=====

Of course, on some level, I agree with the majority of the veterans on this issue, that it is - in fact - absurd to some level that we have gotten to the point where such "thinking" likely has to go into map creation by the Game Designers. But, such is the nature of many QP games, at the least, and thus there's no reason to run from that fact on PGI's part, when they potentially can forge a better / more dynamic game experience for the players, merely by shaping a map in a particular way.

Edited by Rosh87, 21 July 2019 - 10:04 PM.

#5 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostInsignus, on 21 July 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

Title Says it All.

HAHA
Conquest is the best mode. I always vote for it.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:10 AM

Yeah I am another no to this one. Rather see skirmish go, especially since the introduction of stealth mechs and those dudes running around doing nothing at the end.

As well despite mostly playing fast mediums or light mechs, and a lot of time in LBK's lately, I don't really cap very much other than rushing to theta because I tend to want to shoot as soon and often that I can.

What I like is it breaks up death balls (except for smart teams) and it is the only mode that tends to have fights in less common areas on the map.

#7 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:33 AM

Please.
Easily the BEST game mode because it takes 1/2 a brain cell more to just not nasacr or crash a srm bomber line together.
My only issue is it is not really immersive but still leagues better than incursion.

#8 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

I love Conquest. More specifically, I love when teams ignore the game objective, gripe at anyone who actually wants to deal with the objectives, does awesome at the mech-killing, loses because they ignored the game objective for too long and then whines about how Conquest sucks.

You want to get rid of a game mode, get rid of Domination. AKA "Waste of half a map because everyone runs circles around a big yellow spot." At least Skirmish gets rid of the big yellow spot that all the mechs run around.

#9 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

Honestly I'd prefer to see domination go before anything else, it offers very little tactical flexibility and I personally think its drills into people the idea that they need around a certain map feature.

#10 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

But it's just not fair to newer players...the concept of a mission with an actual objective goes way beyond "wait for lock and click button."

Honestly, we need a "potato mode" match where both teams spawn within LRM range of each other. Last team standing wins.

#11 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

Title Says it All.

Seriously, why? Its the only mode where you can play the objective and win. Every other game mode is charge into the middle and fight it out, often badly.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

Lol thats a no.

Straight objective wins are rare on conquest.

What makes it interesting is that it tends to break up the fight and favor strong map control

#13 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 22 July 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

But it's just not fair to newer players...the concept of a mission with an actual objective goes way beyond "wait for lock and click button."

Honestly, we need a "potato mode" match where both teams spawn within LRM range of each other. Last team standing wins.

That's "Grand Melee" mode, Map would be easy, a crater 1000M in diameter, a couple of large rocks that can screen one mech only dotted around and both teams lined up in a semi circle, to quote Leonidas "Glorious"

#14 Insignus

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

My playstyle doesn't lend itself to anchoring on points endlessly. When I do play conquest, as much as you assert to me that its anti-nascar, the team ends up nascaring and then screaming at my cicada and lights to split up and cap all points now, then complains when we get killed by roving lances.

I can see y'alls arguments, but my experiences don't support yours. It usually ends up just being skirmish with extra chances for teams to screw themselves over, in a race to see who can screw up first.

Edited by Insignus, 22 July 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Guys you aren't having fun the right way! Imma make a thread about it!

#16 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostInsignus, on 22 July 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

My playstyle doesn't lend itself to anchoring on points endlessly. When I do play conquest, as much as you assert to me that its anti-nascar, the team ends up nascaring and then screaming at my cicada and lights to split up and cap all points now, then complains when we get killed by roving lances.

Anchoring on points is bad, and teams whose lights/fast mediums spend most of their time capping usually lose.

Conquest is about balancing capping vs killing and it's pretty much the only mode that has this dynamic (base capping is marginal, domination is more about killing in an area). Conquest isn't going to stop nascar, but it does force more movement than any other game mode and also splits mechs up, both are good things.

Caps allow you to put pressure on the enemy team to force them to move out of a strong position. There's a reason conquest is the mode used for most competitive leagues. While most pugs don't play conquest any different than skirmish, if you do you can have a lot of control over the flow of the match.

In a fast mech, get a cap point or two early. See if you can get some early damage on the enemy lights (or even better ambush and get a kill). Engage in the fight as usual, but monitor the caps. Kill priority targets and leg/kill the enemy fast movers if you get the chance. Monitor the caps, but don't actively go around capping unless it's necessary (enemy has a lot of points or is gaining points very quickly). Don't cap points more than necessary (neutralize only if time is tight or just sliver cap them).

If you're spending all your time capping, obviously you're doing it wrong. If your team yells at you because they made bad decisions, ignore them. Kill first, cap second. Conquest is one of the few modes that actually offers the potential to be something different than pure skirmish. It's my favorite mode by a long shot and I'm primarily a light/med pilot.

I can see y'alls arguments, but my experiences don't support yours. It usually ends up just being skirmish with extra chances for teams to screw themselves over, in a race to see who can screw up first.

This is what makes conquest interesting, there are more ways for teams to lose the match which means that if you are better at managing those chances you can increase your chances of winning.

#17 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

I like Conquest. I'd love to see 2 base assault function less like normal skirmish. Maybe Capture time gets cut to 1/3?

#18 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, remove conquest... The one mode that can break up the utterly sheeply nascaring.
By all means, proceed!

Conquest, where actually lights can truly perform their role to some degree too.

Oh and conquest mixed with solaris city. MMMMMM! Delicious nascancering killer medicine!

Edited by Tordin, 22 July 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#19 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

Title Says it All.

Show me on the doll where Conquest touched you...

#20 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

Removing conquest wouldn't make a difference. Every game mode plays out as skirmish anyways.

There's no objectives to actually defend or attack other than some gens and a cannon on FP.

Edit - except conquest on FP is stupid.

Edited by DrtyDshSoap, 22 July 2019 - 05:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users