Favorite Map - Read Before Hating On Solaris City

3 replies to this topic

#1 Insignus

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

I love Solaris City. Whenever it comes on, I put on "Neo Tokyo - Dance with the Dead Remix" and have a blast.

People complain about how it limits their mobility options - because they've been pampered with infinite mobility and slug fests on open fields without having to engage in the heart of the franchise, as shown throughout cannon and lore - adrenaline pounding, chaotic bouts in realistic settings where your skill and reactions - not your ability to sedately plink folks from safety - carries the day.

So naturally, this puts them outside their meta comfort zone.

And into mine, where I play stealth mech and disappear into the canyons.

Every other map in the game, it seems, is geared towards long and mid range slug fests for heavies and assaults, or at least has massive concessions to that playstyle. There are berms and pop ridges with expansive fields of fire, wide open spaces to NASCAR.

Not so in solaris. The design is regular enough to promote cohesive movement, but disjointed enough to promote ambushes and tactical movement.

When we pause and consider how few maps are like this, and how many cater to the heavy/assault slugfest nascar meta, can we just let hating on Solaris go?

#2 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

Ever tried HOW HIGH you can get in this map with a Spider with 12 JumpJets ? Posted Image

#3 Expfighter

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostInsignus, on 30 July 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

I love Solaris City. Whenever it comes on, I put on "Neo Tokyo - Dance with the Dead Remix" and have a blast.

People complain about how it limits their mobility options - because they've been pampered with infinite mobility and slug fests on open fields without having to engage in the heart of the franchise, as shown throughout cannon and lore - adrenaline pounding, chaotic bouts in realistic settings where your skill and reactions - not your ability to sedately plink folks from safety - carries the day.

So naturally, this puts them outside their meta comfort zone.

And into mine, where I play stealth mech and disappear into the canyons.

Every other map in the game, it seems, is geared towards long and mid range slug fests for heavies and assaults, or at least has massive concessions to that playstyle. There are berms and pop ridges with expansive fields of fire, wide open spaces to NASCAR.

Not so in solaris. The design is regular enough to promote cohesive movement, but disjointed enough to promote ambushes and tactical movement.

When we pause and consider how few maps are like this, and how many cater to the heavy/assault slugfest nascar meta, can we just let hating on Solaris go?

Solaris ****** is the worst map in the game, I can ALWAYS count on dying first in this POS!

if you like it, you are a F*&King ******!

#4 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

You have the right to prefer / love a map, but that should not made you blind to it's own problems.

I mean you call maps are mid / long range oriented that's not 100% true

Some maps by design make you look to brawl / mid range trade (best exemples are old frozen and mining)
And remember some best archetype of build actually are mid-range and heavily dps oriented so that don't help imo.

The biggest problems of solaris are :

-It's optimization, it's sounds awful that map eat that much more of ressources for some medium conf computers.
-It's design on chokepoints. I mean it's look like 2 way and 1 ramps on middle but in reality it's one way and the ramp+ most of time that's chokepoints open on 600m openfields. So definitelyore oriented for mid range dps imo.

I'm not a game designer or anything like this but that's sounds some gound points to discuss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users