#61 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostAnjian, on 15 August 2019 - 02:46 AM, said:

Seriously? Tell that to PUBG and Fortnite. They got they got the same game running on all platforms. The client app maybe scaled to the client hardware but not the server back end. Game like Autochess and Dota Underlords looks the same whether its on an iPad or a PC and you can play across platforms.

PC games converted to consoles today, has no difference other than the controls (touchscreen vs. game controller vs. keyboard and mouse) and the operating system they run on. A lot of the abstraction are done by the game engine anyway which handles the hardware details. Exactly what Unreal or Unity engine does.

ok .) im have no long travel times, so Mobile gaming its not a Aspect in each part of my life Posted Image standing in a Rush Hour Train and play MWO 2 without a Mouse or Joystick ,and only Phone Controls its for me not Mechwarrior ...to use a Cell phone with this horrible Mini controls is for me full horror..im use a old MS Cable 5 Button Mouse , while all gaming Mouses have to little Buttons for me, and my Eyes not the best for little displays

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 15 August 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#62 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

yea most of us are geezers that dont like to squint at tiny screens.

View PostAnjian, on 15 August 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

Surely you jest.

inferior kerbal knockoffs. if phones could handle the hard stuff there would be a ksp port to phones. the unity engine supports it right out of the box and would just require a rebuild. they've already done console ports. instead you got physics chopped crude knockoff.

newtonian space flight is actually pretty light physics. its the collisions and structural simulation that kill it. build a rocket with a thousand parts all interacting with each other and the environment. kerbal is known for grinding machines into the ground.

if modern gaming has taught us anything its that shiny graphics are just a cover for the lack of soul in other places.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 August 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#63 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 15 August 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

ok .) im have no long travel times, so Mobile gaming its not a Aspect in each part of my life Posted Image standing in a Rush Hour Train and play MWO 2 without a Mouse or Joystick ,and only Phone Controls its for me not Mechwarrior ...to use a Cell phone with this horrible Mini controls is for me full horror..im use a old MS Cable 5 Button Mouse , while all gaming Mouses have to little Buttons for me, and my Eyes not the best for little displays

Not a problem for millions of people.

You never played a mech game in mobile have you?

I once had the same skepticism as you did.

Edited by Anjian, 15 August 2019 - 09:28 PM.

#64 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 August 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

yea most of us are geezers that dont like to squint at tiny screens.

inferior kerbal knockoffs. if phones could handle the hard stuff there would be a ksp port to phones. the unity engine supports it right out of the box and would just require a rebuild. they've already done console ports. instead you got physics chopped crude knockoff.

newtonian space flight is actually pretty light physics. its the collisions and structural simulation that kill it. build a rocket with a thousand parts all interacting with each other and the environment. kerbal is known for grinding machines into the ground.

Sure you jest again when you have a game with a gazillion collisions all happening.

This game is producing more burst collisions than just about every PC game I have ever played. This is melee mecha on mecha combat with multiple hit boxes.

This game also has great story telling, and never missed a beat in all the key aspects --- great graphics, smooth game play, great characters and stories, even an awesome music score. I would consider this game to be a cult classic and a franchise in the making, but alas has a large memory footprint and an appetite for high end mobiles.

if modern gaming has taught us anything its that shiny graphics are just a cover for the lack of soul in other places.

I tend to find that more a problem with PC and console gaming where studios spend more time with polygons and textures than actual story telling.

You will likely find more old school type games that focus on story telling --- and certain mobile games are extremely good at that. Mobile has become the retreat for old school types of games, such as turn based RPGs where it turns out there remains a massive market for.

This game below is by all means, a very crappy app for all the technical reasons, but absolutely legendary for its story telling. Stories tend to go from very serious and emotional in its main chapters to completely insane in seasonal events. This is a great franchise that has risen in the last ten years.

Some of the best music scores I have heard in game.

Gets a TV series soon.

Edited by Anjian, 15 August 2019 - 09:56 PM.

#65 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

you can keep squinting if you want just get off my lawn.

#66 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:36 PM

I don't know about this geezer thing. But I am nearly 60 and still managed to win my first battle royales in mobiles recently.

Guess I squint good.

But no, its not about squinting. Mobile games, like console games, have a limited amount of aim smoothing that actually makes it easier for older folks.

#67 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:34 AM

Problem I have with mobile games, beside controls is the small screen. I hate playing or viewing anything on small screens.
Still I can imagne that the restrictions they have with these is what forced them to do good storys and engaging gameplay because why else would someone want to drop all the graphics, screensize, etc. that goes with a PC or a console?

Sometimes limits are also a good thing. Sadly PGI seams to be one of these cases where they are the exception of the rule.
There are lots of movies and games where restrictions helped to create something greate. For example "Wrath of Khan" is by many concidered to be one of the best Star Trek movies, yet it was the one with the lowest budget. From what I heard hardly over the money they get for a single episode.

#68 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:54 AM

arms are still pretty good, its just no x86-64 behemoth. you play to its strengths and negate its weaknesses. does not require john carmack levels of wizardry (every play quake on a 486?) to dev for them since they are still over the ghz range and have modern gpus built in. limitless performance leads to lazy programming though and it seems to be the way everything is done now. embedded taxes you a bit more, but the programming approach is the same (unless you are coding for some microcontroller than has <1k of ram).

Edited by LordNothing, 16 August 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#69 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:52 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 16 August 2019 - 12:34 AM, said:

Problem I have with mobile games, beside controls is the small screen. I hate playing or viewing anything on small screens.
Still I can imagne that the restrictions they have with these is what forced them to do good storys and engaging gameplay because why else would someone want to drop all the graphics, screensize, etc. that goes with a PC or a console?

Sometimes limits are also a good thing. Sadly PGI seams to be one of these cases where they are the exception of the rule.
There are lots of movies and games where restrictions helped to create something greate. For example "Wrath of Khan" is by many concidered to be one of the best Star Trek movies, yet it was the one with the lowest budget. From what I heard hardly over the money they get for a single episode.

You can try Bluestacks.

https://www.bluestacks.com/

Lots of popular YouTubers use Bluestacks, making videos of mobile games. Like this guy play mobile games on a gaming PC.

Does it give you an aiming advantage with keyboard and mouse over those using touchscreens? Yup!

Its an interesting option, when you don't have the money to spend on cutting edge mobile devices like this one. The mobile gaming industry has reached to a point there are now gaming phones.

Personally I like using tablets but they are harder to handle compared to smartphones. The screen on a smartphone is currently larger than that of a Sony PSP, 3DS, and even that of a Nintendo Switch. Current CPUs can go up to 2.8Ghz and they are way stronger than the one on the Switch. There are phones out there with 6 to 8Gb of RAM and 128 to 256GB of storage. When I started MWO, my gaming notebook --- ASUS ROG by the way --- has 8GB of RAM.

My ultimate point is that no matter what people think about mobiles, they are going to be the future. That 50 to 60% share of revenue in the game industry they have, that will grow to 70% and even 80% in the next coming years. Devices will become more and more powerful while less PCs are being sold each year.

If the BT/MW franchise is not to be forgotten by 2025, its time to put a stake on this. You don't need a complex MMORPG like game, we save that for a PC game as a separate story. Even a MechAssault type of game --- exactly what the successful War Robots is structured like --- is enough for a mobile audience.

A franchise if it is to go on, may need to have games on all platforms. You don't need to like it or play it --- someone else will.

Edited by Anjian, 16 August 2019 - 03:04 AM.

#70 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 August 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

arms are still pretty good, its just no x86-64 behemoth. you play to its strengths and negate its weaknesses. does not require john carmack levels of wizardry (every play quake on a 486?) to dev for them since they are still over the ghz range and have modern gpus built in. limitless performance leads to lazy programming though and it seems to be the way everything is done now. embedded taxes you a bit more, but the programming approach is the same (unless you are coding for some microcontroller than has <1k of ram).

ARM is now 64 bit and can clock up to 2.8Ghz. Apple A12 is comparable to Intel i5 now. Microsoft is thinking about making ARM based Windows notebooks. There are even cloud servers using ARM.

Game development is mostly now about writing Python scripts for a gaming engine, such as Unreal or Unity. These game engines run on Android, iOS, Mac, PC Windows, X-box and PS4. You write one, you potentially wrote a game for all. All you need to do is platform localization such as controls and screens.

That goes the same for HBS Battletech (Unity) and MW5 (Unreal). Mobile mech game War Robots is written on Unity, and Battle of Titans is written on Unreal, just for examples.

Ever played a mech that transforms and flies around?

This gives me the idea that a Mechwarrior game using Unreal Engine can do not just quads but VTOLs.

You let the hardware take care of the performance. If you need more performance, you can scale down the textures and polygon count, and provide graphics options to increase frame rate. Game devs must focus on content delivery, and its the most important they get the game design, balance and content write in the first place before they start coding.

Edited by Anjian, 16 August 2019 - 03:08 AM.

#71 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:28 AM

bring back the bare metal engines of olde!

then people argue the lack of portability.

then i post a video of doom running on a refrigerator.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 August 2019 - 04:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users