If I Were Piranha Games

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:06 AM

In light of MW5 coming out in a few months and with the fallout from the switch to the year-long exclusive deal with Epic Games Store, there's been a lot of talk about this 5+ year old game and the engine it is built on eventually coming to the end of its lifespan.

Most people are salty about the amount of time and money they've invested into this game and we really can't blame them.

Some say this (MWO) is a sinking ship while other say the community is still around and could recover. From what I'm seeing, both are true.

But it doesn't have to be this way.

For MW5, once the single player storyline is done, the game will essentially be done. Sure, the modding community will surely come up with some expanded content and breathe a little more life into the game for added longevity, but that's about it.

If I were Piranha Games, I wouldn't let MWO die out. I still see better longevity in MWO than I do with MW5.

What I would do is take what I have learned from MW5 and add it to MWO. Given, I'm sure, that some things that were learned from MWO went into MW5, the same can be done in the opposite direction.

Where does MWO fall short? Primarily it's too repetitive. The different game modes essentially all boil down to one massive 12 on 12 brawl apart from Conquest, which is just a little bit more interesting than the others.

Assuming MW5 brings in new players...
After MW5 is launched, I would:
  • Start workinng on porting MWO (Cryengine) to the engine (Unreal) MW5 was built on.
  • Work on building more interesting mission based pvpve maps.
  • Develop faction play further.
  • Develop Solaris further
  • Wait for the interest in MW5 to peter out, then relaunch MWO on the new platform with the new features (letting people keep their old stuff from the old MWO)
  • Enjoy new longevity in the title.

I'm sure the devil is in the details and it's a lot more complicated than how I make it sound above.

Anyhow, these are just thoughts as I was sitting on the loo. Not to be taken too seriously.

#2 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:08 AM

So say we all...Amen

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

But what about the revenue side of things? Doing what was said above is nice. I surely hope it comes to this! But they first have to find a way to make money with that. Fan service is nice and dandy, but it doesn't fill your family's stomachs.

#4 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 13 September 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

But what about the revenue side of things? Doing what was said above is nice. I surely hope it comes to this! But they first have to find a way to make money with that. Fan service is nice and dandy, but it doesn't fill your family's stomachs.

As someone who has managed media projects from start to finish, including budgeting and all that jazz, the above suggestion is based solely on the assuption that Piranha Games makes some revenue from their releasse of Mechwarrior 5.

The suggestion above is also twofold, in that, yes, it will do good fan service, but also with the hopes that it will generate a steady stream of revenue through continued interest in their product. The only way to really achieve that is to show continued development and improvements. (and IMO, MWO, if developed further, will have better longevity than MW5)

They have quite a bit of a hill to climb given the whole Epic Games Store debacle but if they want to win back the communitys trust, these steps above wouldn't hurt, IMHO.

Edited by Rioting Baboon, 13 September 2019 - 03:47 AM.

#5 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

Its a ridiclious suggestion. Why would you invest more time and money into a product built on a 7 year old engine and tech. They would be much better off expanding MW5 and moving forward or building a MWO2 on a new engine and address a lot of the issues inherent in the current game.

Either way the comminity isn't big enough to sustain a third game in such a short period unless it got much wider publicity

#6 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:20 AM

View PostFirewuff, on 13 September 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Why would you invest more time and money into a product built on a 7 year old engine and tech.

View PostRioting Baboon, on 13 September 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

• Start workinng on porting MWO (Cryengine) to the engine (Unreal) MW5 was built on.

#7 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

View PostFirewuff, on 13 September 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Its a ridiclious suggestion. Why would you invest more time and money into a product built on a 7 year old engine and tech. They would be much better off expanding MW5 and moving forward or building a MWO2 on a new engine and address a lot of the issues inherent in the current game.

Either way the comminity isn't big enough to sustain a third game in such a short period unless it got much wider publicity

Go back and re-read my post a few more times carefully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users