Streaks Pinpoint Ct When U Give Back To The Enemy?

11 replies to this topic

#1 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

as title says, got killed in two salvos by a streak huntsman, the other two rear torsos were not touched one bit, I was not twisted relative to the enemy, just straight showing all components, nonetheless everything went on the rear ct... it's sad enough having homing weapons in an online shooter, if it was possible not to make them pinpoint as well it would be fantastic

#2 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

That doesn't sound like their normal behaviour.

Even butt hugging with streaks your missiles usually fly out in silly directions with accompanied silly animation.

Going to hazard a guess that perhaps the guy had tag, and the missiles that hit your back killed you before the rest even registered? Maybe the ones that landed got rngesus crits?

Really hard to say but that is definitely not their normal behaviour.

#3 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

It's possible that you got hit by another mech too at the same time or even just before the Streaks arrived. It's easy to miss a stealthed Thanatos, Fafnir or Blood Asp...

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 29 August 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

as title says, got killed in two salvos by a streak huntsman, the other two rear torsos were not touched one bit, I was not twisted relative to the enemy, just straight showing all components, nonetheless everything went on the rear ct... it's sad enough having homing weapons in an online shooter, if it was possible not to make them pinpoint as well it would be fantastic

Video of this please.

Not saying I don't believe you... But, without any actual proof/evidence, there is nothing to say a mechanic is suddenly broken.

I bet there is far more to the story as above - you got shot by something else, you did actually take damage elsewhere and didnt realise etc etc.

#5 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

If you gave up your back long enough for a Streak Huntsman's long af cooldowns to get off two bursts, I have to seriously doubt you had the awareness to know if it was all that was behind you.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 30 August 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

If you gave up your back long enough for a Streak Huntsman's long af cooldowns to get off two bursts, I have to seriously doubt you had the awareness to know if it was all that was behind you.

Gees so angry.

Thank you for retiring.

#7 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:19 AM

A few months ago they adjusted streaks so the percentage chance to hit a torso hit box was higher than for the limbs, and since most people skimp on rear torso armor... showing your weakest armor to an enemy is going to lead to your mech's death much faster, regardless of what weapon they use. Also when it comes to torso hit boxes...the rear ones usually overlap on the top of the mech... so if you shoot downwards on a mech from in front of them with enough height advantage, you can hit the rear torso instead of the front torso.

#8 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

it's sad enough having homing weapons in an online shooter, if it was possible not to make them pinpoint as well it would be fantastic

I agree, online twitch shooters with mech skins should not have homing weapons.

I think the problem ranges back to the 1984 Battletech boardgame, where for some reason they decided that lock-on weapons dating back to ~1944 would still be a thing in the far future. And one conversion mistake after another 35 years later those lock-on weapons made their way into MWO.

Also don't play Shadow Warrior : Not only it has homing rockets but it has no mech skins.

#9 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 01 September 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

I agree, online twitch shooters with mech skins should not have homing weapons.

I think the problem ranges back to the 1984 Battletech boardgame, where for some reason they decided that lock-on weapons dating back to ~1944 would still be a thing in the far future. And one conversion mistake after another 35 years later those lock-on weapons made their way into MWO.

Also don't play Shadow Warrior : Not only it has homing rockets but it has no mech skins.

Oh wow....here's a case were I kind of agree with you.

Can't really have a game based on Battletech without lock on weapons, it is a part of the lore and in the video games that brought me to the franchise.

Where you and I really begin to disagree though is PGI's implementation. Before the radias change players could get locks using their foot. They changed it a very little, enough to make aiming with your foot not viable.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:16 AM

Which mech you were in?

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 30 August 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

I would agree with you except that if you have a HG Fafnir in your face and a streak Huntsman at your back you actually will ignore the Huntsman since its kinda the right thing to do. Just as him counting on streaks spreading across the rear locations as well as legs and arms was a rather normal expectation.

#11 Tsukimi

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 36 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

If you are in a mech that is wide with a large ct hit box and they were literally standing right behind you at point blank range with only torso mounted steaks it would be pretty easy but then that means you din't have the awareness to know they were there in the first place before they shot you.

On the other hand if they were even 40 meters away or using arm mounted streaks then it is very unlikely that they would have only hit the ct with the streaks even using a tag. I am thinking that you must have been hit by something other than just the streaks if it was 2 salvos of streaks and no damage anywhere other than the rear ct.

Most likely it if it was only streaks it probably just missed the Rear Side torsos and hit arms or legs. Take a Huntsman into the testing grounds and stand behind the Atlas and you may see that 4 SSRM 4s only hit the Arms, Legs and CT at point blank range, quite often missing the side torsos.

If you are only hit in the ct by streaks you are either very unlucky while the other person has a horse shoe up their butt riding a unicorn kind of lucky. Even my ACWs don't get that kind of pinpoint damage with the streaks when they are fully skilled up with their missiles being tighter to the cockpit location. So if you are getting 2 salvos from a streak mech on your back you aren't very aware of what's going on and probably got hit by a pinpoint weapon instead of the streaks and just thought it was the streaks that hit your "corpse" right after you died.

#12 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

it was more like a question, I was wondering if anybody had the same experience and could confirm my impression.

Unfortunately I don't spend my playtime having a recording software working all the time.

I guess I was unlucky in that particular situation, and probably another mech contributed to my kill.

Edit: I was trying streaks in testing ground, my impression is that, given mechs have 7 components excluding the head and combinations of streak tubes rarely end up being a multiple of 7, they are split between the components in a random way each time u shoot them, which end up having an unevenly distributed damage. As I was trying them on Crimson Strait, the Atlas and the Cicada went down by CT death, but the Catapult, the Centurion and the Cataphract got the damage more evenly distributed between the rear torsos. So my idea is that sometimes, given the random nature of how streaks are divided, you might get more shots landing on one component. In my case in game, I believe in that particular moment it's possible more missiles went to the CT rather than other components for a pure matter of chance.

Edited by MrXanthios, 02 September 2019 - 10:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users