Heat Bug

62 replies to this topic

#21 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

yesterday I have heatbug one time (use c-erppc)
today I have heatbud two time (use c-erppc) and one time 2 guys in my team and 2 guys on enemy team have heatbug at the same time

developers, I understand, you are very busy (mw5 and other ***), but can you wake up and fix this heatbug?
otherwise I will complain to voodoo shamans and they will punish you ^^

Edited by Rkshz, 16 November 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#22 AndiMech

• PipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:27 AM

I once again had the bug, only this time i didn't explode immediately...
I could try some things to resolve it, but nothing helped:
I tried to:
- power down multiple times
- use coolshot
- tab in in out of game
- change video window mode
- wait

funny thing is, immediately after you shoot, the heat dissipates faster, but after that it is back to the 1% per second...
check out the video, you will notice, that i am not the only one having the bug, it starts when i see the powered down Warhammer, so he clearly has also the bug:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509987371

Edited by AndiMech, 18 November 2019 - 03:15 AM.

#23 Dream Shift

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:16 PM

Got the heat bug today.

Casual player.

Bought an Archer ARC-2R.

HPG Skirmish Quick Match everything was fine.

Minutes later on Rubilite Skirmish Quick Match I’m not dissipating heat very well at all. About 1% per second.

Did some searching. I’m not the only one or the first to encounter this. Thank you to everyone for speaking up about this. It needs to be fixed. PGI you are still taking peoples money for in game items. Please continue to support your product. Taking money without fixing known problems is called theft. This is how Tea Parties happen. It’s akin to taxation without representation. PGI if you’re reading this there are several videos on YouTube and a post here on Twitch with video evidence of the bug described. Please do the right thing which is fixing this.

#24 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

Just had a match in which this bug occured.

It was literally unplayable!

Any ETA on removal of this "feature"?

Wait... I think I know already PGI's answer, "we can't reproduce it, thus we cannot fix it" ... "...also we will need every developer to fix MW5 in the next years... sorry lad..."

#25 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:46 AM

Just close the client, restart and the bug vanishes. This means whatever is happening involves data shared between the client and the server and its in some sort of cookie that gets reset when the client restarts.

#26 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 09 December 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Just close the client, restart and the bug vanishes. This means whatever is happening involves data shared between the client and the server and its in some sort of cookie that gets reset when the client restarts.

And again, you speak about things you don't understand. Heat bug does not necessarily occur in the next match when you do not restart the client.

#27 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 09 December 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

And again, you speak about things you don't understand. Heat bug does not necessarily occur in the next match when you do not restart the client.

^This, sorry Dee, but it's most certainly not a cookie.

#28 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:20 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 December 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

^This, sorry Dee, but it's most certainly not a cookie.

And yet the moment i restart the client, the bug vanishes, and it can show up without even having been playing live matches. Leave your client running long enough and just like the mech doll torso sliding off the legs, the bug creeps in and just going into testing grounds you won't dissipate either. But what the hell would I know, I only wrote software for twenty years.

#29 Hack Harrison

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:58 AM

Just had the heat bug. 2 ER PPC. Fired a couple of test shots as I had just updated my skill tree (added 2 heat reduction nodes to the tree). Heat jumps to 40% and then basically doesn't drop back whilst walking. And then stays at 75% the rest of the game. Every PPC shot then overheats me...

#30 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:26 AM

I've had the heat bug catch me a few times in the past couple of months. Can't remember what I was running in December, but early this month I was in a Supernova and didn't notice my heat wasn't going down, ended up cooking myself to death because I had the sound turned down for a minute and was engaged. Since I was more focused on the timing of my firing and was I was targeting, I didn't notice that my heat bar wasn't dropping properly. Even so, a slow mech with big weapons isn't going to survive long when it can't cool.

Last night I was using a Grasshopper with dual HPPC, dual MLaser. Didn't notice the heat bar suspended after the first two shots from both HPPCs, fired a third time after I should have been down to about 45-50% heat and then saw something was seriously wrong. I tried shutting down manually right a second after I fired my third salvo, but even shut down I cooked off. This heat bug, compounded with PGI's brilliant idea to change how side torso loss affects mech cooling, spells certain death in many cases.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

Yup I encountered it not long ago (posted in the other thread). What was unique in that match for me was that I didn't appear to be the only one affected. I saw two enemy 'Mechs and one other friendly shut down as well, now people do overshoot their weapons of course but usually not that often. I was also affected by latency issues, so I wonder if the heat bug in this case was a server getting bogged down and missing "cool down ticks" or something. Probably BS but the combination of lag and heat dissipation affecting more than one player had me coming up with all sorts of potential bugs with timing.

#32 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

Getting worse for sure. Hope the maintenance helps with the frequency at least.

#33 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure the heatbug is a server desync issue, so yeah, RickySpanish, I agree with your conclusion. I've seen people get stuck in terrain, or even overcooling when the "bug" happens.

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 26 January 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the heatbug is a server desync issue, so yeah, RickySpanish, I agree with your conclusion. I've seen people get stuck in terrain, or even overcooling when the "bug" happens.

I wonder if anyone can find out if this bug began appearing after host state rewind was added?

#35 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 09 December 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

lol... It has nothing to do with the client restart.

It's a server side issue. This is why it can come/go in a match and then be gone the next - without a client restart.

View PostDee Eight, on 10 December 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

But what the hell would I know, I only wrote software for twenty years.

Well as proven many times around here - Not much it would seem.

View PostRickySpanish, on 26 January 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

I wonder if anyone can find out if this bug began appearing after host state rewind was added?

Long after.

It started mid 2017. HSR came way before that. There was something that PGI did in 2017 that caused it. They have been unable to track it down however. I mean we had the whole torso-heat spike change last year? That way supposed to "be the cause". It wasn't and now we are left with a garbage mechanic... I mean we all know it wasn't the cause, but you know..

#36 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

And here is some heatbug footage from last week.

HEAT Bug - Instant Cooldown

Did not reload the client after the game. Bug disappeared after the match and finding a new one... This is because it's nothing to do with a client restart and everything to do with the Server side and a desync. Something that's occurred since Mid 2017. Because it was ignored back then though, it'll never get fixed now.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 27 January 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#37 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

got it twice over the past week, both times all players on both teams had it

machine gun piranhas and dual gauss mechs are OP AF during heat bug drops, lol

#38 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Well from what I can work out - Every one player with the heat bug, there is always one without it - so insane dissipation like my clip above.

It just depends what end of the stick you are on.

The problem is most players never get their mechs hot. So they never realise they have the BONUS bug, of sorts.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 27 January 2020 - 02:33 PM.

#39 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

I only get giga dissipation on mechs where it almost doesn't matter :(

#40 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 January 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

And here is some heatbug footage from last week.

HEAT Bug - Instant Cooldown

Did not reload the client after the game. Bug disappeared after the match and finding a new one... This is because it's nothing to do with a client restart and everything to do with the Server side and a desync. Something that's occurred since Mid 2017. Because it was ignored back then though, it'll never get fixed now.

They might well have tried to track it down but simply couldn't ever reproduce it, sometimes you end up with bugs like that which only arise in a production environment and even though you know when they occurred you still can't figure out why. If it's any consolation I reckon it probably haunts them. You would think that a code comparison with a version before the bug appeared would give some clues, which the absence of might mean that the bug was always there but it never surfaced until something else changed, like server hardware configuration or something.

Like sheeet, could you imagine if the way their code works is that all things that operate over time have a ticker - weapon cooldowns, consumables, the in game clock and of course, heat dissipation. And then one guy like you gets someone elses heat dissipation ticker as well as your own? Except heat still dissipates when you have the bug (albeit slowly) so maybe heat dissipation is actually this huge cluster **** of multiple tickers ticking down for each thing that might cool a 'Mech and you got say, the effect of someone elses heat sinks? Yikes.

Edited by RickySpanish, 27 January 2020 - 04:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users