20 replies to this topic

#1 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

Its really hard for me to complete the event with my main account and all my smurf accounts...we need to extend the time of the events, so I can get all 40 accounts done! Posted Image

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

every game should pay out mc so i have a reason to play all the time rather than just when there is an event i haven't completed yet..

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 September 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

every game should pay out mc so i have a reason to play all the time rather than just when there is an event i haven't completed yet..

Go one step further with, "I want 10 MC for clicking the READY button". More people will play the game.

#4 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:50 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 September 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

Since PGI actually sells the stuff for money, I can't see that being a very good idea. Also to be fair, they have been pretty generous with MC especially over the last year. Bought multiple free hero mechs with the stuff.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:53 AM

And you being an Alt for whom?

#6 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:11 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 18 September 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

Go one step further with, "I want 10 MC for clicking the READY button". More people will play the game.

But how about paying 1MC to each active player that wins a FP game with 48 enemy team kills ? :)

Truth is the FP difficulty would probably spike up to unplayable levels if PGI did that :P

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:42 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 18 September 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

Since PGI actually sells the stuff for money, I can't see that being a very good idea. Also to be fair, they have been pretty generous with MC especially over the last year. Bought multiple free hero mechs with the stuff.

im up to 43, and i only remember paying for 6 of those with cash. trickle mc like 1-5 mc per game probably wouldn't step on pgi's toes too much. or at the very least put more into supply caches. right now most of that stuff is cbills that just get thrown onto the pile and forgotten about. small mc payouts when using premium time should also be a thing.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 September 2019 - 06:45 AM.

#8 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'd quite like to be able to go back and do all the events i missed over the last year+, i don't care about the rewards, something for me to focus on while i grab some time in MWO before it disappears.

#9 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 September 2019 - 06:42 AM, said:

im up to 43, and i only remember paying for 6 of those with cash. trickle mc like 1-5 mc per game probably wouldn't step on pgi's toes too much. or at the very least put more into supply caches. right now most of that stuff is cbills that just get thrown onto the pile and forgotten about. small mc payouts when using premium time should also be a thing.

You just sound greedy. MC should have some value and giving it away would decrease that value.

#10 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

care less about events, would love to see Double XP pop up more often...

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

View PostCycKath, on 18 September 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

care less about events, would love to see Double XP pop up more often...

... and double C-bills.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:28 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 18 September 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

You just sound greedy. MC should have some value and giving it away would decrease that value.

greedy? this is the most expensive game ive ever played. if you told me back in the 90s that i would pay $300+ to play a single game id have laughed at you. how much did you spend on this game? the greedy ones are the ones who take your money on the pretext of continued development, pocket it, and dont develop the game further.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 September 2019 - 01:35 AM.

#13 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:44 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 September 2019 - 01:28 AM, said:

greedy? this is the most expensive game ive ever played. if you told me back in the 90s that i would pay $300+ to play a single game id have laughed at you. how much did you spend on this game? the greedy ones are the ones who take your money on the pretext of continued development, pocket it, and dont develop the game further.

You volunteered your money and could have chosen to play it for free. Can't imagine anyone with any sense spending money on this game now unless they gave us IS omni's. Barring that they can't just give away the store since the revenue is certainly drying up quickly.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:57 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 19 September 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

You volunteered your money and could have chosen to play it for free. Can't imagine anyone with any sense spending money on this game now unless they gave us IS omni's. Barring that they can't just give away the store since the revenue is certainly drying up quickly.

trickle mc is not giving away the store. assuming 2mc per game if it takes 150 games to buy a mech bay and ten times that many to put a mech into it. to put this in perspective last event game me 400 mc for < 50 games. you can choose between paying for the mc, or grinding for it. think of the f2p player as a pgi employee who provides content to the paying customers in exchange for getting to play the game for free. time is money.

meanwhile the people who still pay in are losing their player base and with it reasons to pay in. long time players like myself want to play but there is no draw. events help but are few and far between. even the f2p players are important as they keep the population up but they also get burned out from the grind or simply get bored with the game. trickle mc gives all these people reasons to play. if the population tanks below a playable threshold then nobody is shopping and the game dies.

and yes for me i payed into the game. one day i added up my receipts and decided no more. i bought some mech packs mostly back when pgi was at least showing some effort (new tech had me buy an annihilator standard pack, my last mech pack purchase). hell if pgi put out is omnis in the next 3 months (mostly because this is the time of year i have disposable income) i might actually buy one.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 September 2019 - 03:00 AM.

#15 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:12 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 September 2019 - 02:57 AM, said:

trickle mc is not giving away the store. assuming 2mc per game if it takes 150 games to buy a mech bay and ten times that many to put a mech into it. to put this in perspective last event game me 400 mc for < 50 games. you can choose between paying for the mc, or grinding for it. think of the f2p player as a pgi employee who provides content to the paying customers in exchange for getting to play the game for free. time is money.

meanwhile the people who still pay in are losing their player base and with it reasons to pay in. long time players like myself want to play but there is no draw. events help but are few and far between. even the f2p players are important as they keep the population up but they also get burned out from the grind or simply get bored with the game. trickle mc gives all these people reasons to play. if the population tanks below a playable threshold then nobody is shopping and the game dies.

and yes for me i payed into the game. one day i added up my receipts and decided no more. i bought some mech packs mostly back when pgi was at least showing some effort (new tech had me buy an annihilator standard pack, my last mech pack purchase). hell if pgi put out is omnis in the next 3 months (mostly because this is the time of year i have disposable income) i might actually buy one.

I still don't think you are making a case for it. What you are suggesting in my opinion would make the few newer players that are around, not have any incentive to buy MC to get more mech bays.

Also don't think that they have any hope of gaining any significant numbers or retaining the dwindling playerbase. Game is simply old and run it's coarse.

#16 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

Think about this.... I was paying $15 a month to play an subscribed online game before I started playing MWO. 15x12= $180 a year. I've been playing MWO we will say 6 years... cause of times I wasn't playing... so I would have spent approximately $1080 if I was subscribed to the other game in that time. I think I've spent maybe $200 total on MWO between buying MC and Mechs... pretty good deal if you ask me.

#17 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostKol Koontz, on 18 September 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

Also to be fair, they have been pretty generous with MC especially over the last year. Bought multiple free hero mechs with the stuff.

I played many free to play games in my life and I think PGI is the most generous . As far as I know nobody else offers loyalty programs or Christmas bonus rewards .

#18 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 19 September 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

I played many free to play games in my life and I think PGI is the most generous . As far as I know nobody else offers loyalty programs or Christmas bonus rewards .

The Loot Bag events themselves are extremely generous. One event like that can earn you close to or more than 1000 MC, cockpit items, PTs, C-bills, consumables, etc.,

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:23 PM

its also the kind of thing that makes me no longer want to play or support f2p games. especially if this is one of the better ones.

the f2p model had a whole lot of pros and cons compared to more traditional models. and i figured id at least give it a shot before writing it off as a terrible idea. the concept of professional grade content replacing modding ended up being a bust. i think i play more mods than commercial games these days. modders create both a wider variety of content and in larger quantities than paid developers can do. the promise of continued development seems to have been replaced with the illusion of continued development. and overall they are too grindy for both paying and non-paying players, and so turn into massive time sinks. and overall i ended up buying fewer games as a result. so all the pros are cons now. i see it as a bubble that will burst one day.

i think the p2p model supported by paid dlc and microtransactions is probably what is going to stay with us for awhile.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 September 2019 - 11:27 PM.

#20 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 19 September 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Think about this.... I was paying $15 a month to play an subscribed online game before I started playing MWO. 15x12= $180 a year. I've been playing MWO we will say 6 years... cause of times I wasn't playing... so I would have spent approximately $1080 if I was subscribed to the other game in that time. I think I've spent maybe $200 total on MWO between buying MC and Mechs... pretty good deal if you ask me.

Not an apple to apple comparison though. In F2P MMOs many add content, and over the years it accumulates years of quests and story elements. You can argue that the majority of it is fetch X kill Y but if you boil it down every game is fetch X kill Y just in Z guise. Regardless they add new areas, new NPCs, new classes, new quests, new multiplayer raids, etc. And if you join late into the cycle you literally have years of gameplay ahead of you, majority of it can be done solo, the multiplayer stuff you will need time to acquire the appropriate gear to survive such end-game content.

MWO? 800 mech variants across a handful of modes and maps. Playing a different mech on the same map/mode again and again, and changing the mech, is not really content that warrants a monthly fee. Worse still, across the 800 variants, you distill it down to maybe 100 builds. Every time you get a mech you try to slap on 1 of several templates in your mind, regardless of reason eg meta, your style, fun build, troll build, etc but it'll be 1 of several main templates. So ultimately you play loadouts more than mechs. In this perspective across the 800 builds, distilled to 100 builds, is further distilled to 25 real builds. You can try different mechs, but you'll try to fit the same builds.

MWO is more akin to other arena games, be it 1-time fee (eg modes in Call of Duty or Rainbow 6) or F2P like CS:GO or DOTA2. Most arena shooter F2P games don't last long cuz the content doesn't last long esp when you're expected to play the same thing again and again for years. Big name games like DOTA2 and CS:GO persist because their tournament scenes are massive so there's a population food chain. The rest will die over time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users