Solution For Broken Group Matchmaking.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mazaraz

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:32 PM

Due to the current state of the game and community having such low numbers, I propose two things:

1st- Remove the distinction between group drops and solo drops as currently finding a drop in group queue can take upwards of 30 minutes (if you find a match at all).

2nd-Revert match making to a weight based system and do away with tiers entirely. When a large portion of high tier players are resorting to creating new accounts to circumvent the constant one-sided matches brought on by matches consisting of 5-7 lights vs 5-7 assaults and the current tier systems ineffective nature at properly describing a given pilots actual ability/ propensity to succeed vs fail something should probably be done to rectify the situation. And seeing as how this is essentially a roll back of the match making system, it would not only be a relatively "simple" thing to implement (due to this literally being how match making previously worked) but would solve multiple problems at the same time.

Seeing as I have personally spent enough on this game that I could have built a new gaming computer (am a legendary founder, bought the resistance packs, clan packs, several individual mech packs, and mc packages) have thousands of hours in game on my account, I REALLY do not want to NEED to resort to starting from scratch in order to find 1 match in 20+ that is even roughly balanced/fair/fun and isn't a complete roll and doesn't lead to me just wanting to give up on MWO in general.

#2 Garth Marenghi

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

I agree

#3 Mazaraz

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:16 AM

Additionally in NO scenario can I imagine any circumstance in which a group or single combat unit would drop into a combat zone, not knowing where they will be, what the objective will be, who they will be fighting alongside or even a rough notion as to the disposition of the enemy forces. It is down right idiotic to assume in any situation that it should be ok to "vote" after selecting which mech you will be fighting in. In both real life,and canon the participants of any combat scenario would know all of the above before hand. With mech loadouts being as specialized as they tend to be, removing weight balance from the equation in and of itself will result in consistent unfair matchmaking, but to throw in selecting a map in a solo drop (as group dropping is almost impossible now) after you are locked into a single mech that may or may not even be able to damage a single enemy mech before closing to within proper engagement ranges for it's equipped weapons is laughable at best and beyond frustrating at worst. For this I propose either allowing pilots to select 2-4 mechs BEFORE selecting to launch, and then AFTER the map vote, or map is shown (if voting is removed all together), allowing the pilots to refine within their selection which mech they will in fact take. Or group maps based on approximate ranges of engagement to be voted on (IE long, med, short) so as to allow players the ability to predict about how far out or how close in the engagement will probably take place before committing to a drop with say an LRM boat on mining collective/ HPG Manifold/ River City/ any other obvious close range infighting type map or the opposite, an SRM boat/ medium laser boat on Polar Highlands/ Frozen City/ any other obvious long range map. Especially since the "events" are explicitly geared toward encouraging players to boat LRMs or AMS or ballistics or energy weapons, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to pick a mech not knowing whether you can even engage an enemy before you are destroyed based off of an event created by the DEVS.

#4 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:40 AM

Have you considered Faction Play as the alternative to Group Quick Play?

From all accounts the Groups Quick Play queue is barely functioning in the NA prime time any more. It's been dead on Oceanic for a year or more and EU started reporting problems maybe 6 months back.

As a founder you would know, but quick play as the grab a mech and go game mode, there is no planning or semblance of organisation that relates in any way to lore etc.
It sounds like you do prefer a bit of thought and immersion in the drop process, we will never see a 'drop deck' for quick play you would be better off investing more of that time and effort in Faction where it seems there are more players recently.

I'll add that I think the only thing that might save group quick play (and help Faction for that matter) is flexible team sizes and allow matches of 4v4 or 8v8 dynamically.

Edited by 50 50, 08 October 2019 - 01:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users