Group Drops

44 replies to this topic

#1 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Odd question but is anyone else experiencing issues trying to drop as a group, the last couple of weeks I have been trying to carry out drops with other members of my unit and even having left the matchmaker run for up to ten mins at a time have been unable to get drops.

When we queue solo each of us can get in to matches but if we try two man drops or higher it just runs to infinity

We have also tried different distributions of classes in our lance to see if this old be root cause

Is this down to the much lower population MWO is seeing presently or is it something else?

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

Population. Can usually get some drops in primetime NA but that's about it. Best to play FP.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Experiance the same. Can't find matches with my friend in a group. Would be good if they would groups if 4 or smaller be put into QP.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

GroupQ is mostly dead for anything outside the PEAK times for ~3hrs max.

So EU and NA peak, and maybe 6-7hrs each day.

Population in MWO taken a huge hit since Russ announced maintenance mode a few months back. Nothing you can do about it.
FP is usually still hopping though because you can see if you'll get a match or not, where GroupQ you can sit there for 25mins and have no idea if there is anyone there.

#5 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:29 AM

There is something from Solaris I would like to be used for QP too, seeing how many people are also looking for a match. I think FP has it too, so why not do it for QP?

#6 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 02 November 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

Population. Can usually get some drops in primetime NA but that's about it. Best to play FP.

Yep...can't form matches without players in the queue. But FP will mix solos with groups just fine so there's always that option.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

Even during peak times group q is getting bad. Tonight we couldn't find any matches with a group of 4. Sunday night at 6-9 pm est has never been an issue before. We end up doing some sync drops and 2v2.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 03 November 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#8 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

I have not been able to get a group que match in about 6 months now..

Just play Faction Play or sync-drop if it's only you and one other..

Edited by Vellron2005, 04 November 2019 - 12:16 AM.

#9 mgto

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Yea, this is totally annoying. We do purely sync dropping now bc we're unable to find a match and don't want to wait "forever" until we eventually - maybe - find a match.

Sync dropping works relatively good but the matchmaker or "matchbuilder" (or whatever) is not able to put us into the same team even if we're from the same unit.
Which is ok but we would prefer to play co-op instead of vs.

Would be great if mwo would adopt to a changing player count to make it still a nice experience for the people still wanting to play.

#10 Herr Vorragend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:31 AM

Oh yes, it´s very annoying. I hope PGI puts back small groups into public queue. At last a group of two should be able to take part in QP games.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:37 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 November 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Even during peak times group q is getting bad. Tonight we couldn't find any matches with a group of 4. Sunday night at 6-9 pm est has never been an issue before. We end up doing some sync drops and 2v2.

Me and mine play nearly every night. Since Russ’s effective EOL announcement in June the ability to get a match in GQ has gotten progressively worse. Now you can only get a drop in the magic window of 8-11 PM (Eastern), and then only if you hit the winning group size lottery. Most nights we give it 15 minute wait, a couple of times during the window and we usually get one or two drops. But if the group sizes are just wrong, you and probably every one else in the queue are sol. Last two nights running a 6 man we have been unable to get anything.

I think we have arrived at the necessity of appointment play. If folks want to play in GQ we need to agree on a common discord or TS channel to all meet in (or at least be mutually aware of, so we can find those who want to play and coordinate) during an allotted period and then mix and match numbers to get the right size groups. We (4-8 of LORS and friends most nights, sometimes more) still use the FRR TS Hub if anyone wants to try. We usually start sync dropping in solo queue at around 7PM Eastern, then try GQ an hour and a half or two later, then go back to sync when we can get a match; but if we thought there were folks actually trying to group up we would play GQ the whole time. If someone has a better idea, please propose it.

#12 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

So, all you guys sync dropping in QP, how often does the matchmaker put more than half your group on the same side? IOW, if you're syncing 2, how often are you on the same team? Syncing 4, how often do 3 or more get on same team?

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 05 November 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

So, all you guys sync dropping in QP, how often does the matchmaker put more than half your group on the same side? IOW, if you're syncing 2, how often are you on the same team? Syncing 4, how often do 3 or more get on same team?

It’s a crap shoot. You almost never all end up on the same side if there are more than about 4 dropping. Most common is an even split. A lot of times you might get spread out over several different drops. Example: If we run a 5 man, it is most common that 1 person gets aced out of the drop and ends up in a different match or they cancel, while the remaining 4 will get split evenly. On some occasions 2 will get in the match and the other 3 have been split into separate drops each (which when this sort of thing occurs it inevitably makes one think: “hey, if there are this many drops going on in solo, then perhaps there are folks in GQ now? Which then encourages us to go into GQ, wait for 15 minutes, typically get no drop, and then return to syncing in solo).

If all 5 do end up in the same match, they are nearly always spread out 3/2, though i suspect you might be able to play with those odds by observing predominate weight classes of those in the drops and then try and mess with that, but that is beyond our level of patience or care. Speaking only for myself and a few of those I drop with regularly, sync dropping is not good for anyone playing with us, since when we sync we all tend to play mechs out of our comfort zones (read: crap mechs with goofy builds)

To go further, I can recall only 2 matches in the last month of play where we all ended up on the same drop and on the same team (that was as 5 man...it’s never happened with more than that). When in larger groups we get spread out all over and almost always in multiple drops (keeping in mind we all have only European and NA servers selected).

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 05 November 2019 - 04:37 AM, said:

I think we have arrived at the necessity of appointment play. If folks want to play in GQ we need to agree on a common discord or TS channel to all meet in (or at least be mutually aware of, so we can find those who want to play and coordinate) during an allotted period and then mix and match numbers to get the right size groups. We (4-8 of LORS and friends most nights, sometimes more) still use the FRR TS Hub if anyone wants to try. We usually start sync dropping in solo queue at around 7PM Eastern, then try GQ an hour and a half or two later, then go back to sync when we can get a match; but if we thought there were folks actually trying to group up we would play GQ the whole time. If someone has a better idea, please propose it.

Well, we could create a forum thread where units could post their average practice/play times... Like for example my 7th Seal of the Seraphim typically have practice that starts at 9pm Est, with groups that range in size from 2 man (myself and my new wifey) to upwards of achieving 12 man size from time to time. Often, we have a 4-5 man group attempting matches at that time.

If we could align enough of the other unit's typical "practice" times together, it might encourage other people to join GP, or even join the units who play when they tend to.

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

View PostTesunie, on 05 November 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

Well, we could create a forum thread where units could post their average practice/play times... Like for example my 7th Seal of the Seraphim typically have practice that starts at 9pm Est, with groups that range in size from 2 man (myself and my new wifey) to upwards of achieving 12 man size from time to time. Often, we have a 4-5 man group attempting matches at that time.

If we could align enough of the other unit's typical "practice" times together, it might encourage other people to join GP, or even join the units who play when they tend to.

Could certainly try a forum thread, but the vast majority of the old regular and even remaining GQ regulars don’t forum or even reddit warrior so they likely would be unawares of it.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 05 November 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Could certainly try a forum thread, but the vast majority of the old regular and even remaining GQ regulars don’t forum or even reddit warrior so they likely would be unawares of it.

Well, I know I don't use TS (though I do have it installed). I'm not certain of were we could post such information where "everyone interested" would be able to see it.

I'm thinking if units just had a place (like a calendar or something) where we could share our normal dropping times, some other unit's/groups might adjust or join, making some times that are currently dead into more active times...? These forums are one of the few "universally linking" areas that all MW:O players should be aware of and know about... but I also know not everyone uses them.

#17 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

My $0.02 on this topic.
Group Queue in AP is usually dead. We tried GMT+8 from 2000 to 0000 and usually we fail to get any drops. Sync Drops if you have friends will probably be a better option.
If you have 4, run Scouting games in Faction Play.

Else.. well as what has been mentioned, figure out how to co-ordinate with other players/units to arrange a scheduled time for group drops.

I have given up trying group games in MWO and have moved over to World Of Warships primarily for the ability to group drop with friends. MWO is still sorta good for solo games...

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 05 November 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

3 to 5 of us.

We played all night sunday we all got on 1 team once. 75% of three time we all got in same march. Most time if was 50-50 split.

Monday we fought a 12 man over and over . Zero other gsmes that night. My team wouldn't ever change mechs to fight thier medium and lights. You know maybe take 1 streak boat and some fast assaults? Nope just pos mechs and get killed by crabs ,pir and Veagles .

There was zero reason we couldn't have won if we took our tonnage.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 05 November 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#19 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:13 AM

Just remove 12vs12 qp for solo and Groups. 8vs8 is enough

Edited by Paul Meyers DEST, 06 November 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#20 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:35 AM

And people laughed at me when I suggested small groups (up to 2 players) in QP, and also when I said it's time for A.I. bots..

And look what's happening..

People are struggling to play a team game with a team, and also struggling to play it without a team (because if you solo in FP you get stomped by premades)

So yeah.. I don't see a bright future for MWO..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users