Rampstart

24 replies to this topic

#21 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

@GuardDogg
We kind of have a bit of a start up sequence where we see our pilot flick switches and press buttons and when dropped out of the Leopard we get that little bit with the warning light and so on.
A cut scene basically.

IF we had a bit more control over the systems in the mechs then having players manually do the start up would make a bit more sense as it would also mean we have the option to disengage those systems as well and that doing so has some game effect.

ie. turning off the sensors would disable radar but also mean the mech was not broadcasting and therefore harder to detect.

A few little things like that which is really just a few button clicks would bring in a bit more of a sense of controlling the mechs and given this would generally happen while in the dropships it's not really going to delay a player's ability to get going in the battle..... unless they are afk in which case maybe they get left in the dropship.
As it is, it's an automated scripted cut scene.

Other bits and pieces would be nice to have to build that sense of immersion in the pre-launch... and even post battle.
Again could just be some cut scenes.

If you haven't seen it already, this was a great video done as a teaser for MWO:

We will have a bit more of this in MW5 where we can walk the gantry out to the mechs and so on but it is probably never going to be something we see in MWO.

#22 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

^^
Agree, Yes, I have seen that cutscene. Giving that control with switches and more, gives that feel of being in a battlemech (Machine).

Here I found. Guess this guy was thinking the same things (Start up), or the thought of it. But not clickable cockpit yet.

And we are getting there for a Walking mech (in the process), but I will not be alive when it happens. So, why not do it now in a (PC) Battlemech simulator?
"BattleTech"

Edited by GuardDogg, 23 October 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#23 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:25 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 23 October 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

So, why not do it now in a (PC) Battlemech simulator?

The only way this could happen in a desirable quality is as a fan project where no return of investment is required, very much like MW:LL did.

The intersection of audiences for battlemechs and true simulators is quite small, so anyone trying to build a commercial battlemech sim would have to work with a very tiny budget to stay profitable, which usually leads to very poor quality.

That's why most niche commercial simulator games out there are quite crappy, and those few who succeed are almost exclusively simulating real-world machines like aircrafts, trucks, trains or farming machines.

Rule of thumb is: You have a target audience for your simulator if there are people who worked or still work in the job you are simulating. Sadly Mechwarrior is not such a job. Posted Image

I once worked as a freelancer on a bus simulator and got only a few weeks for the design and implementation of each main feature like traffic or physics. It's almost impossible to get those things working correctly and realistic with such limited time. So you probably do not really want such a low-budget Battletech sim, except for laughs. Posted Image

Edit: But there is hope! If PGI does get modding right in MW5, chances are very high that someone will create a really good simulator. Just don't expect the base game to be much more than a shooter with some sim elements like MWO is.

Edited by Daggett, 24 October 2019 - 03:39 AM.

#24 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

Mech Citizen GIVE ME GIVE ME!!!!!!!!!

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

there are sims where you have to flip no fewer than 100 switches in order to start moving. i don't see that being fun in a mechwarrior game.

1. connect battery to auxiliary power bus
2. connect capacitor banks 1-4 to auxiliary power bus
3. enable and charge capacitor banks 1-4
4. set capacitor banks 1-4 to standby
5. set primary coolant loop pumps and heat sinks to auxiliary power bus and enable
6. set superconducting coil power to auxiliary power bus and enable
7. connect electron guns 1 and 2 to auxiliary power bus and set to standby
8. connect ion injectors 1 and 2 to auxiliary power bus and set to standby
9. connect rf beam plasma heaters 1 and 2 to capacitor bank and set to standby.
10. activate electron guns 1 and 2 begin electron beam injection
11. wait until potential well is established
12. activate ion injectors 1 and 2
13. arm rf plasma heating beams 1 and 2
14. arm capacitor banks 1-4
15. initiate plasma heating sequence
14. wait for plasma temperature to rise to breakeven threshold
15. enable direct conversion grids and dc-dc converter
16. connect dc-dc converter to main power bus
17. disable rf heaters 1 and 2
18. switch capacitor bank to main power bus and set to buffer mode
19. switch ion injector 1 and 2 power to main bus.
20. switch electron beam injectors 1 and 2 power to main bus
21. coolant pumps to main power bus
22. enable battery charger on main bus
23. enable auxiliary coolant pumps and heat sinks

REACTOR ONLINE

... yea i dont think this kind of thing is fun.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 October 2019 - 06:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users