9 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

MW5 is bloody marvelous, I really dig the sound effects and the destructable buildings aren't quite as wafer thin as I feared. Well, the tall ones aren't anyway. I outfitted a Shadowhawk GD with 4 medium lasers, LB10-X SLD (niiice touch) and 2 streak SRM 2s, and tried soloing the missions. I was just about able to, with most of my 'Mech destroyed by the end and always sprinting to the extraction site while being chased by a small army.

This is really good fun, the only thing I'd maybe like to see is a hard mode for enemies. The AI movement is alright, but their stock builds let them down and they do not appear to target components. If improving their behaviour /builds isn't on the books, maybe they could just cheat a little with a higher rate of fire / more armour / better accuracy?

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 27 November 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

The AI movement is alright, but their stock builds let them down and they do not appear to target components. If improving their behaviour /builds isn't on the books, maybe they could just cheat a little with a higher rate of fire / more armour / better accuracy?

Yeah, I'm hoping that there'll be some "Elite" level mechs and pilots in the higher skull difficulty missions in the campaign where you'll be in danger constantly but also, since they have such nice weapons, you might want to be careful in killing them so as to have a good salvage pick at the end.

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:49 AM

I do believe they might just have smacked it out of the park.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

I'll admit: I wasn't letting myself get excited for MW5 since I'm too used to being disappointed by companues (and politicians) anymore, but after playing some of the CBT...

I am the embodiment of hype now.

Edited by RestosIII, 28 November 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#5 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:59 AM

I am digging it so far. It has its rough edges but they can be smoothed out.

Now if we could have the Marauder II in there, that'd be great!

#6 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Keep at it lads ! In a year or two, many of us might actually look at it and consider playing it !!!

Keep up the good work for the rest of us...... I'm waiting for a serious review.

Have a happy holiday weekend !

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

the only thing i dont really like is the shoddy joystick support and lack of trackir support. the rest of the game is pretty good. ai is a little dumb, but if you look most of them are at the lowest difficulty level and there are no real scripted events either. if theres a difficulty slider i still havent found it yet.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 November 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 November 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

the only thing i dont really like is the shoddy joystick support and lack of trackir support. the rest of the game is pretty good. ai is a little dumb, but if you look most of them are at the lowest difficulty level and there are no real scripted events either. if theres a difficulty slider i still havent found it yet.

There's not one I'm aware of, although you can adjust the intelligence of your squad mates. Maybe putting them to the highest skill level and watching what they do will give an inidication of the maximal ability of the game's AI. The joystick issues are a shame, I was going to try it on my CH-Fighterstick pro and T16000 dual stick setup I use for Elite, but maybe it's not worth the hassle! I think you pointed out in another thread about MS trying to kill DirectInput. Pain in the arse that is.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

PGI may not know this but MWO supports TrackIR so maybe MW5 will as well in time

https://www.naturalp.../trackir/games/

#10 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Really loving it so far. Epic store be damned for now and I have to use it but that shall not break my fun. Also Steam next year and will get it there too if the game gets really GUD.

And for a short review.

Im on a pretty solid rig, but I notice that the lower graphical settings make the textures bland, smoshed, low res.
Im not sure what to adjust to get it crispy and clean.

The game autodetects my settings to be all set on MEDIUM. But my lappy can totally handle at least High on textures, effects and such. Grahical pop ins occur in mechbay and in gameplay.

And even if I set it to high and after a while the graphics kinda gets bland. My other games dont turn down the graphics after a while, its just weird.
The environment have also this odd kinda scattered, over sharpened effect, lines/dots if set on medium or lower.

What I really would like is setting INFO pop ups on what each setting do and if it will help performance or not in hte settings menu for us that arent technical adept and knowing.

Otherwise the graphics, when they behave are great.

Other thingies.

- The A.I isnt stupid per see, but its undeciding tendencies, make it appear so as some others have staded. It could be more agressive, but who knows maybe its smart enough to not overheat like us rabid homans do. I do have yet to see the A.I overheat, so theres that.

- The hardpoint sizes could be upped to large on some mechs if it dosent break canon/ lore in my opinion. Like the Banshee 3E. My favorite assault and it got like... 3 hardpoints max.

And up the Ballistic hardpoint could help it to at least up it to the higher end ballistics. Also, watching TTB videos on the different mechs in each class categories. There ARE some variants that look exactly the same, lacking uniqeness.
NO. I dont mean they should add quirks, BUT maybe have one with differing in hardpoint size, or something withouth breaking canon/ lore stock loadouts would be nice.

- I encountered an annoying bug where I cant delete my saved loadouts for my mechs. Well sometimes it works, sometimes not.

- Also the current HUD... Now, its fine for Third person view but in First person from the eyes of the pilot, I would liek the game to automatically switch it to a more fitting HUD like in the early footage, like that you are actually wearing a neuro helmet with HUD helmet display outline.
Also that we can choose which kind of HUD in the settings menu and tons of options for coloration ( red, yellow, blue, orange, purple, green, white etc) and also settings for the color blind, btw PGI, there more than one kind of color blindness, even black and white. And no, Im not color blind but more options the better.

My opinion so far. Rock and metal to the pedal!

Have taken the "epic" brunt, so yes I shall test and do my part for all of us Battletech/ MW fans. The least I can do. Instead of forfeiting that I paid a bunch of cash for pre ordering before I knew of the steam to epic switcharoo, dosent build trust but, need to make the most of it now. EGS laucher will be history next year anyway for my lappy.

Edited by Tordin, 30 November 2019 - 02:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users