23 replies to this topic

#1 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

Well, I just necrioed my old gaming rig after 6 years. It's been in a garage, outside, collecting mice **** and dust. I redid the thermal CPU paste and posted it. Dead CMOS battery, replaced. Posted and ready to load.

Is my website log in the same as my game long in?

Woo hoo. Getting butterflies in the old gut already!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:10 PM

Yes.

Good luck!

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:19 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 06 December 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Well, I just necrioed my old gaming rig after 6 years. It's been in a garage, outside, collecting mice **** and dust. I redid the thermal CPU paste and posted it. Dead CMOS battery, replaced. Posted and ready to load.

Is my website log in the same as my game long in?

Woo hoo. Getting butterflies in the old gut already!

I sincerely hope you have fun and do not find yourself as disappointed as I fear you will.

#4 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostMole, on 06 December 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

I sincerely hope you have fun and do not find yourself as disappointed as I fear you will.

Let me know what's going on, man. Why a disappointment?

#5 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:23 AM

Don't listen to disgruntled haters. Just enjoy the game for what it is, try to amuse yourself, and you'll be fine.

#6 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

I was looking for information about MWO and on the Wiki site, it said it launched in September of 2013, but I was playing in 2012, and not a beta. I also stopped playing around MAarch of 2013. So I don't understand?

"MechWarrior Online is a free-to-play vehicular combat video game, officially launched during September 2013 by Piranha Games"
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia...hWarrior_Online

Then there is this Mech Warrior 5?

I'm lost. I almost thought I was on the wrong forum lol. However, all of my account information is still here with old friends list, mechs I own, and all of it. So how can it be released after I stopped play, but I was playing before release? Back in early 2013, things were going well, huge player base, and we would play all night and morning long sometimes.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 07 December 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

MW5 is a new single player game to be released on Dec 10. MWO is multiplayer only and has been released and "re-released" a few times.

#8 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 07 December 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

Let me know what's going on, man. Why a disappointment?
Game's dead. That said, if you can find games and don't mind the fact that no new content will ever be added, you'll be fine.

#9 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostNRP, on 07 December 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

MW5 is a new single player game to be released on Dec 10. MWO is multiplayer only and has been released and "re-released" a few times.

Oh man! Thank you for that clarification! Whew!

View PostIlfi, on 07 December 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

Game's dead. That said, if you can find games and don't mind the fact that no new content will ever be added, you'll be fine.

I always thought releasing tons of content without substance was a bad idea for any game, as I prefer they focus on substance, such as game play itself and immersion into the world. Maps are always good though.

What do you mean by dead, exactly? Thanks for replying.

If anyone wants to PM me and explain what's been going on the last 6 years, the good and bad, etc. and don't want to post it here, please do.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 07 December 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#10 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

Seriously don't listen to the salty forumites who don't even play the game anymore. MWO is still a lot of fun and very much not dead. It's very easy to get solo queue and faction play games and balance is a lot better than people would lead you to believe.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Side note, to anyone keeping track of my posts I feel pretty stupid because I got ready to go to work and on my way out the door I was told it was Saturday not Sunday...

View PostNoxMorbis, on 07 December 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

I was looking for information about MWO and on the Wiki site, it said it launched in September of 2013, but I was playing in 2012, and not a beta. I also stopped playing around MAarch of 2013. So I don't understand?

"MechWarrior Online is a free-to-play vehicular combat video game, officially launched during September 2013 by Piranha Games"
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia...hWarrior_Online

Then there is this Mech Warrior 5?

I'm lost. I almost thought I was on the wrong forum lol. However, all of my account information is still here with old friends list, mechs I own, and all of it. So how can it be released after I stopped play, but I was playing before release? Back in early 2013, things were going well, huge player base, and we would play all night and morning long sometimes.

Long story short.
MWO's still pretty fun, though unlike 2012 where the meta changed every single day to every single week, it's pretty static now and if you were playing all this time you'd be burned out on slow map production, lack of new mechs over the past months, and faction play while nice, is far from what was advertised as the "community warfare." (If CW released as described, it'd have a number of pay-to-win elements due to the fact that repair and rearm and permanent loss mechs, having mechs locked to locations and traveling once or "a few times" per day, building garrisons and base defenses, etc.

MW5 is a neat little gem that has those CW elements put in, though it's single-player only with a co-op option (where the lead player's campaign allows the other players to replace his AI lancemates) and an instant action where it can be played solo or with friends. It has a map generator (though in the test-bed we have at the moment there is no level generation happening) which helps to populate the universe (and something MWO desperately needs to end the monotony.) It also has many of the things we wanted, though perhaps not the extent some of us had hoped and it spans from 3015 to 3049.
Spoiler

(The following paragraph is from digging through game files in preparation for a lore/BT Sim mod)
The game has an exceptional number of factions, both large and small, a few unusued ones that were made but not yet put to use (I've previously spoiled that Word of Blake was a faction made but not put to use, it was one of several factions made but not put to use, though there's easily 7 times or more that number in use in the campaign apparently), a large number of mechs (including some that should not be in the timeline), several vehicles and a small selection of aircraft (no infantry; no sign of wild life, but I'm already working out how to fix that via mods [the infantry at least, Megasaurs and Dragon-riding infantry will have to wait).

Of another note, if you were in the dark about MW5, you may also want to know Jordan Weissman (Battletech/MW co-creator) had a joint venture with MechCommander lead designer to create Hairebrained Schemes' Battletech, a turn-based strategy game which is now a subsidiary of Pandora (a company known for taking games and expanding them on and on with decently sized DLC packs for 10+ years after the game is released, so a continuous stream of new content is coming out for it).

So it's a good time to come back to the universe. A number of us are burned out on MWO, but there are alternatives now. Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 07 December 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#12 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostMister Maf, on 07 December 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

Seriously don't listen to the salty forumites who don't even play the game anymore. MWO is still a lot of fun and very much not dead. It's very easy to get solo queue and faction play games and balance is a lot better than people would lead you to believe.

Back in the day, I thought Piranna's solution to matching and cheating was so obvious, but no one thought of it. You just match players to their own skill levels, and those skill points are kept on the game database. That way, cheaters are always playing each other, head shotting each other--good for them. And, there is no steam rolling n00b guilds, solos, etc. I thought it was pretty damn good way to balance skills vs skills. The way it played out was that everyone had a near 1:1 ratio, and the good players had like 1.1 to 1.2 kill vs death.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 07 December 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#13 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 December 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

Side note, to anyone keeping track of my posts I feel pretty stupid because I got ready to go to work and on my way out the door I was told it was Saturday not Sunday...

Long story short.
MWO's still pretty fun, though unlike 2012 where the meta changed every single day to every single week, it's pretty static now and if you were playing all this time you'd be burned out on slow map production, lack of new mechs over the past months, and faction play while nice, is far from what was advertised as the "community warfare." (If CW released as described, it'd have a number of pay-to-win elements due to the fact that repair and rearm and permanent loss mechs, having mechs locked to locations and traveling once or "a few times" per day, building garrisons and base defenses, etc.

MW5 is a neat little gem that has those CW elements put in, though it's single-player only with a co-op option (where the lead player's campaign allows the other players to replace his AI lancemates) and an instant action where it can be played solo or with friends. It has a map generator (though in the test-bed we have at the moment there is no level generation happening) which helps to populate the universe (and something MWO desperately needs to end the monotony.) It also has many of the things we wanted, though perhaps not the extent some of us had hoped and it spans from 3015 to 3049.
Spoiler

(The following paragraph is from digging through game files in preparation for a lore/BT Sim mod)
The game has an exceptional number of factions, both large and small, a few unusued ones that were made but not yet put to use (I've previously spoiled that Word of Blake was a faction made but not put to use, it was one of several factions made but not put to use, though there's easily 7 times or more that number in use in the campaign apparently), a large number of mechs (including some that should not be in the timeline), several vehicles and a small selection of aircraft (no infantry; no sign of wild life, but I'm already working out how to fix that via mods [the infantry at least, Megasaurs and Dragon-riding infantry will have to wait).

Of another note, if you were in the dark about MW5, you may also want to know Jordan Weissman (Battletech/MW co-creator) had a joint venture with MechCommander lead designer to create Hairebrained Schemes' Battletech, a turn-based strategy game which is now a subsidiary of Pandora (a company known for taking games and expanding them on and on with decently sized DLC packs for 10+ years after the game is released, so a continuous stream of new content is coming out for it).

So it's a good time to come back to the universe. A number of us are burned out on MWO, but there are alternatives now. Posted Image

Hey thanks a lot for that history. I did, indeed, see Batteltech when I was trying to figure out things today. I remember way back in the 90s there was a battlech like turn based game. I liked it. Is it worth playing? I think turn based games could be very fun,but they have been really overlooked.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 07 December 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#14 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostIlfi, on 07 December 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

Just wanted to say that I just looked and there are 817 mech variants! As far as mecs go, how many more do we really need? I had 12 when I left, and I think they were all variants of about 4 mechs from light to heavy. lol LikeI said,I just want a quality gmae of substance (players) based on developing skills, not so much on ever increasing content. I mean, a good game doesn't need that, right? (Like, um, chess. Pretty much unchanged since it's development.)

Edited by NoxMorbis, 07 December 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#15 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

The game is end of life.

You were dumb to leave early and you are dumb to come back at this late date.

Make better decisions next time.

Edited by Spheroid, 07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

dont get too confused by all the mechwarrior 5 threads, a side effect of PGI NOT PUTTING UP A MECHWARRIOR 5 FORUM.

#17 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

The best thing about end of life here is probably the static mech base. No new releases creeping along and needing whole systems rebalanced because now there's a kodiak or a veagle that can whatever and it's OP.

There are still enough people playing, and there's less in game salt than there has been in the past.

Enjoi it while ye can.

#18 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:12 PM

View Postn00biwan, on 07 December 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

There are still enough people playing, and there's less in game salt than there has been in the past.

Sorry for jeopardizing the thread, but I feel your statement is less than accurate regarding to the current status of the game,

1. The wait time for a drop outside NA prime time is crap. I mean, it takes usually 5mins or more, sometimes near 10mins for a QP game, and even worse for group queue;

2. Less salt? May be. However you should also mention another important fact, many experience players are gone, people who play now mostly dont use voip, or even try to communicate by keyboard, they just nascar or hide, turning the game very often one-sided, 1 or 2 died on a side, the remaining just turn back, run, no regroup and got slaughtered. In a manner of speaking, any semi-decent AI could do better than most of our active population atm...

Edited by ingramli, 07 December 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 07 December 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Hey thanks a lot for that history. I did, indeed, see Batteltech when I was trying to figure out things today. I remember way back in the 90s there was a battlech like turn based game. I liked it. Is it worth playing? I think turn based games could be very fun,but they have been really overlooked.

It is if you like them. Battletech was the turn based game Mechwarrior is based on from 1984 (originally called Battledroids), in which Mechwarrior started as a tabletop RPG of the tabletop battlegame Battletech, and Mechwarrior (1989 PC) was the second Battletech video game to come out (Battletech Crescent Hawk's inception being the first and Crescent Hawk's Revenge being the third).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
And the first Mechwarrior video game 1989.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edit and side note.
That's the best image of the Stalker in all the 1980s artwork.
Everything else has the one chicken leg, one human leg method of bending that makes no damn sense, which rolls into the 90s with the best image being a Stalker running with human-like leg movement.

And even then, on closer inspection...this artwork still has the Stalker with one leg bending forward and the other backward.

Edited by Koniving, 07 December 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#20 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

The game is end of life.

You were dumb to leave early and you are dumb to come back at this late date.

Make better decisions next time.

Then, why you still here, bro?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users