Linux Mechwarrior

4 replies to this topic

#1 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

I'm returning to MWO after a long absence to raise my daughter. However my newly built computer runs Linux (mint)!
Can anyone help me get it running?Posted Image I'll take any advice you have.

I've tried forcing proton on steamplay doesn't work and neither does Proton4.21 GE1. Which is sad as I'd hope it would be a silver bullet for the problem.
Perhaps I'll try an older version of ProtonGE next while i wait for replies.

Edited by Graystone1, 16 December 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#2 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps I should posted this in support

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

There is an existing thread with info for getting MWO to run on Linux, but since its very long, I might as well add the relevant bits here:

MWO needs a patched version of Wine to run. You can build wine or proton with a selection of patches from this repository: https://github.com/T...er/wine-tkg-git or probably install wine-tkg-mwo or something along those lines trough Lutris for example. This is because MWO relies on an obsolete version of boost, which has a bug that has been fixed in all current versions. The implementation in Wine needs to be patched to break it the same way MWO expects it to be broken.

MW5 should run fine with any flavour of Wine, if you use DXVK for DX11 support. I don't know where you can get DXVK for Mint or for Proton, but either should be easy since it has become a staple component by now. I have suffered periodic crashes so far, but either the second hotfix or the first patch for MW5 may have fixed the crash and performance issues.

DXVK is very strongly recommended for MWO as well, since it makes DX11 much faster and more reliable than it otherwise would be.

EDIT: I forgot to add that MW5 requires a native version of Microsoft MF stuff. I can help with that if anyone runs into issues with it.

Edited by Gagis, 17 December 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#4 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:03 AM

Well, sir, you are pretty outstanding for providing that info.
There’s a lot of great info/workarounds that greater minds have compiled over the years on this site... it’s just kind of buried.

#5 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

LinxWarroir?! I like the sound of that!

I'm looking forward to a new build myself!
Kudos on yours and welcome back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users